• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Ok . I don’t know why this graph depicts jitter from 8k . Jitter is present also in the lower part of the spectrum and it is also important to be measured in full spectrum
Because jitter artifacts symmetrical to the main signal are no longer visible below, in this case:

1699639402622.png

Maybe it's more understandable when both j-test signal and the captured response are on the same graph:

1699640713534.png

Please look at the comparison of wave shapes for the WiiM Pro and a cheap USB-spdif converter from SMSL (red is WiiM):

View attachment 325204

Above for 96 kHz stream, termination 75 ohm for the WiiM, 50 ohm for SMSL to keep the recommended spdif voltage. Also look at base-top differences for both devices and the offset between.
Is it the same for pro plus ?

The WiiM pro and pro + is soon gonna be the most reviewed and measured streamer in the world :)

Impressive work by Vintageflanker and onlyoneme

Simple question that thus far I've not found the answer to; is the DAC in the pro plus an improvement over the one fitted to a Yamaha A-S501? If minimal (I suspect) then I'll just invest in the pro.

Simple question that thus far I've not found the answer to; is the DAC in the pro plus an improvement over the one fitted to a Yamaha A-S501? If minimal (I suspect) then I'll just invest in the pro.
The A-S501 uses a PCM5102A DAC with best case THD+N of -93dB and 112dB(A) SNR (actual performance may be worse depending on Yamaha's skills)
Source

The WiiM Pro Plus has THD+N of -116dB and about 122dB(A) SNR.
Source

Though it is unlikely that you will increase sound quality that way, the DAC inside the Pro Plus is quite a bit better.

Last edited:
The A-S501 uses a PCM5102A DAC with best case THD+N of -93dB and 112dB(A) SNR (actual performance may be worse depending on Yamaha's skills)
Source

The WiiM Pro Plus has THD+N of -116dB and about 122dB(A) SNR.
Source

Though it is unlikely that you will increase sound quality that way, the DAC inside the Pro Plus is quite a bit better.
Thank you. Agreed it's highly unlikely I'd hear the difference.

For comparison, I use my LG V50 a lot with UAPP and either LCD-X or Dunu EST IEMs and impressed how good that sounds. Can't find much info about it other than a SNR of 121dB.

I bought the pro plus anyway for future proofing. Now that it's got a 4 band PEQ means I can think about cancelling my Roon subscription

I bought the pro plus anyway for future proofing. Now that it's got a 4 band PEQ means I can think about cancelling my Roon subscription
It took me 6 filters to get rid of my room modes and build in a house curve.

I've got 5 for mine, but one is a low shelf just to help ease the load off the speakers and onto the sub. It seems that linkplay are generally responsive to customer requests, and they've already acknowledged that they could add more channels.

You can go down to 4 PEQ/shelving with optimal loudspeaker placement in the room ( best possible without roomcorrection ) and will also probably get a better soundresult.

For comparison, I use my LG V50 a lot with UAPP and either LCD-X or Dunu EST IEMs and impressed how good that sounds. Can't find much info about it other than a SNR of 121dB.
It also depends on your music files, lossless or lossy. Good or poor quality of recording.

Back
Top Bottom