• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

auronthas

Best to try the highest resolution such as DSD native files from great recording album.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best to try the highest resolution such as DSD native files from great recording album.
I can't reliably differentiate Spotify premium from CDA so hi res is wasted on me, unless it's a true 24 bit reissue.

auronthas

It is a subjective matter as some can hear a distinct sound difference of layers of music instruments placement with many factors, good recording, good hearing, good audio equipment, good room acoustic and other associated factors.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It is a subjective matter as some can hear a distinct sound difference of layers of music instruments placement with many factors, good recording, good hearing, good audio equipment, good room acoustic and other associated factors.
That sound difference may well exist, but will be caused by a different master, not by that master being encoded in DSD.

Nothing about DSD inherently enables better layering or instrument placement, compared to what PCM is capable of.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
None of these are related to DSD, nor they are subjective by any means.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the latest app upgrade the HS/LS filters can be changed to peak filters, so a total of 4 peaks.
More PEQ bands coming... Eventually.

ale76

HI Everyone,
just my 2 cents... today I received the "pro+" and I am comparing that to the "Pro" I have. Both of them are connected to a Violectric headphone Amp which has 2 RCA inputs, which means I can quickly shift from one device to the other.
Well, to my surprise they sound identical to my ears... despite the different DAC measurements.
If was running this test in a shop, I would have purchased the "Pro", but I will keep testing and see if I can spot any difference.

As a side note, I found out that grouping the 2 Wiims on the app will trigger a resample to 16bit/48khz regardless of the original bitrate.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd bet my house on the fact that in properly conducted blind testing by far away the majority of consumers would not be able to distinguish between a range of DACs above a minimum price threshold. I'm pretty sure that most folk can't reliably identify hi res over spotify premium, I've tried a couple of online blind testing challenges and I'm not surprised I can't.

LuckyLyndy

Ugh. Now you guys have me wondering. A friend sent me a note and asked me should he buy the Pro or Pro Plus? Aside from the different internal DAC's, is there any other reasons to buy the Plus? This is his simple setup, using a Focal Bird system.

MKR

Major Contributor
Ugh. Now you guys have me wondering. A friend sent me a note and asked me should he buy the Pro or Pro Plus? Aside from the different internal DAC's, is there any other reasons to buy the Plus? This is his simple setup, using a Focal Bird system.
There is no other difference between the two aside from the DAC. If your friend already has a good measuring external DAC, go with the Pro. If he needs a good DAC, go with the Plus.

LuckyLyndy

There is no other difference between the two aside from the DAC. If your friend already has a good measuring external DAC, go with the Pro. If he needs a good DAC, go with the Plus.
He does not have an external DAC. So I will go with your suggestion. I don't remember the outlets with those all-in-one Focal Bird systems. Kind of like the KLH's of the 00's. Thanks for the feedback!

Well, I do have another question for ASR members. Is there a path to play select internet radio stations directly, and not through Tune In, or Heart Radio, etc. I just want to type in the url of say, WFUV.org and stream their internet radio stream.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

mskis

Can’t seem to find this via searching. Does use of the PEQ degrade sound quality with the pro plus?

Top Bottom