• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 10.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 328 83.9%

• Total voters

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I finally broke down and bought a pair of these on Amazon, I needed something from Amazon and somehow or other I would up getting a free 30 day Prime trial, which I plan to terminate after 29 days (heh,heh!). But before I did that I ordered a 220 pound dumbell set which came with free Prime Shipping! (Yea, free Prime Trial!) and after ordering that I felt especially impulsive, so I ordered a pair of the Reds which should arrive Thursday.

New let's see if China has an electric car or three that I can save some shipping charges on in the next 26 days or so. (Thank you, Mr Bezos!)

music_lover

I just got the reds. Is it just me or are the mids tubey? I like the sound, but compared to the OG zero, the mids on the red are too warm to my ears. The sound is too euphonic. Anyone know how to reduce the warmth?

markanini

Major Contributor
I just got the reds. Is it just me or are the mids tubey? I like the sound, but compared to the OG zero, the mids on the red are too warm to my ears. The sound is too euphonic. Anyone know how to reduce the warmth?
Skip the bass plug, use narrow bore tips, EQ a treble boost above 7kHz.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just hooked these up to my big boy system (Octo Dac 8, Topping A70 Pro) and I'm very impressed. Sound great right out of the box, though I do favor them with the bass plug. Listened without any EQ other than that plug. They took to the clean power, and the bass was thunderous with it--no problem with distortion at all. Without the plug, I do think they're a bit bass shy and they could also use a touch of eq to boost up the 5-8k range which sounds slightly recessed, but still very listenable nonetheless. I don't think I'd use the bass plug OTG, so I probably would use compensating eq with my phone.

It's hard to believe this level of performance is availble for $55. Any company trying to sell a $500 or more pair of IEMs is going be very hard pressed to make a case that they have something worth nearly 10 times the price of these.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have ordered both yesterday, also! The red pill and the blue pill. I ask myself what Morpheus would have said. :)
Morpheus wouldn't know, but the red pill was supposed to reveal the truth, whereas in the case of the Truthears then the blue pill I think is the one that would be revealing the most truth.

totti1965

Morpheus wouldn't know, but the red pill was supposed to reveal the truth, whereas in the case of the Truthears then the blue pill I think is the one that would be revealing the most truth.
.... and perhaps a little bit more freshness for my 58 years old ears. Then my son (17) will get the red ones. I am exciited. I will get the two pills on Sept. 1. Longer waiting times here at german amazon than in the US.

markanini

Major Contributor
If you are still looking for a solution I've revised my EQ recently to adress the mid honk and subdued treble.

Attachments

• Truthear Zero Red Filters.txt
    112 bytes · Views: 100

totti1965

Yeah! That would be interesting! Amir said that the truth maybe exact in the middle between blue and red……
Would be nice to get 5 or 6 subtile Filters for Roon for perfection.

thw

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Sigh, just spent the afternoon with these, they sound better than the Fiio FH5's I've been rocking since 2019, hate to say it but it's true.
Build quality is fine but not as good as FH5 obviously. I actually find the Reds more comfortable in my ear funny enough.
The game really has changed since I last looked (pre Covid).
Congrats to Crinacle, amazing result. Going to use these things and a Iphone to headphone dongle to convert some people to HiFi.

KR500

Thanks for the excellent review Amir. I did cut back on spending to save for and purchase the Zero Red.
An excellent audio product for $55 and 'props to TruthEar and Crinacle for it.
The last couple of weeks I have been listening to them playing Apple Lossless Music with my Apple iPhone and Dongle.
Yesterday I began listening to Apple Lossless using the Zero Red through my Schmitt Modi 3+ and Magni 3.
After a couple of weeks I will move to using my Tascam CD player for listening.
The foam tips are the most comfortable for me and seal well. I couldn't find any of the silicone tips included that fit as well.
It was a choice between the Zero Red and the Moondrop Aria but I pulled the trigger on the Zero Red

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh, just spent the afternoon with these, they sound better than the Fiio FH5's I've been rocking since 2019, hate to say it but it's true.
Build quality is fine but not as good as FH5 obviously. I actually find the Reds more comfortable in my ear funny enough.
The game really has changed since I last looked (pre Covid).
Congrats to Crinacle, amazing result. Going to use these things and a Iphone to headphone dongle to convert some people to HiFi.
Sold my Dusk after the Red. It is that good. Agree build quality and shape is worst, but sound quality and price makes up for it.

Hercule

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED Listening Tests
I was so anxious to start listening to these but imagine my surprise when the first track sounded anything but correct. I quickly realized bass was not there and bam, I had forgotten to go to the next size up! Did that and immediate joy was to be had with accurate and deep bass complimenting the higher frequencies. The low distortion and detail gave me goosebumps sometimes.
Hello, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to know what did Amir actually mean by "I had forgotten to go to the next size up! Did that and immediate joy was to be had with accurate and deep bass complimenting the higher frequencies" ? What is next size up? Sorry for my ignorance in advance.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to know what did Amir actually mean by "I had forgotten to go to the next size up! Did that and immediate joy was to be had with accurate and deep bass complimenting the higher frequencies" ? What is next size up? Sorry for my ignorance in advance.
There are multiple sizes of silicone ear tips included with the Zero:Red.
At first, Amir used too small ear tips that did not seal in his ears and so there was no bass.
When he switched to the next larger ear tip size, the earphone sealed and bass response was restored.

DSC_5854.JPG
(image source)

Last edited:

Hercule

There are multiple sizes of silicone ear tips included with the Zero:Red.
At first, Amir used too small ear tips that did not seal in his ears and so there was no bass.
When he switch to the next larger ear tip size, the earphone sealed and bass response was restored.

View attachment 308732
(image source)
Thanks a lot for clarifying. Already placed order, haven't got it yet. Planning to use it with ibasso DC 05 dongle, I hope it would be a good combination.

Hai

Got the reds two days ago. Also bought the salnotez 7hz zero. The salnotes were extremely bright and just didnt sound right. These however sound amazing. By far the best iems I have ever tried and the treble sounds delightful! I can confidently 100% recommend these to anyone.

totti1965

Thanks a lot for clarifying. Already placed order, haven't got it yet. Planning to use it with ibasso DC 05 dongle, I hope it would be a good combination.
The Crinacle Zero RED - They don‘t need much power. So I think, they will sound absolutely great! Perhaps the best In-ear Monitors under USD 1.000,—!
Crinacle is just such a funny and extremely competent guy. His YouTube videos are amazing. So much know how. Many good ideas went into the Zeros (The BLUE and the RED)!
Just check out the Suzanne Vega Song „Toms Dinner“. This is the first Song I hear with any new Component.
You will find details with the Zeros - you never thought they exist!
Got mine two days ago. With the iPad 6 (2018) I don‘t need a dongle. Never had to play louder than 75 %.

JLGF1

The salnotes were extremely bright and just didnt sound right.
Extremely bright? They sound great to me. Bought two pair for less than one Red.

Top Bottom