• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 38.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 29.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 10.5%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you expand on that compared to various Crown amp lines?
It is a modern way to get efficiency out of class AB amplifier. You run them normally at low voltage to keep dissipation low. But then switch to higher voltage for max power. Use of powerful fans keeps heatsinks small and costs lower.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These are not class D but standard AB amplifier driven by two rail supply voltages.
That's even more impressive...LoL. I was wondering about the heatsinks and such and figured hey! They really packed in the quality. No wonder they have a fan for cooling. :D
EDIT: So it's a switching power supply with class AB. Very unusual.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @amirm,

Crown and QSC are competitors.
The 400W-ish (full ClassAB w/similar pricing) QSC RMX-1450a has a pretty big toroid as the basis of their version of basic industrial PA.

Would it be unethical to rent one (or equivalent) to test?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would it be unethical to rent one (or equivalent) to test?
I can't buy and return if you are asking that. But you all are welcome to do that. If they rent it, then it is not an ethical issue at all.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Wow, amazing to see a modern amplifier with TO-3 transistor packaging!
Yes, quite surprising, since they were designed in the 50's. Also considering a TO-264 or 4 TO-220's would likely outperform a trusty old TO-3. :D

JSmith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
TO-3 has wonderfully low thermal impedance and can dissipate a lot of power even without a heatsink due its much larger package. Its issue was much higher cost and hence the reason it fell out of favor.

Is it possible for class D amps to be able to reach such power figures in a reliable way? Most completed amps that I’ve seen are very lacking in heat sinking and even fans (if needed). I know that the pro amp companies use class D solutions, but last I looked it was for (relatively) lower power applications.

I see one can get 2k/channel with an Ice power module. I haven’t heard good things about their reliability, however.

This Crown amp really “doubles down” to 2 ohms, unlike other amps that just lower their reported 8 ohm measurement to make it seem that way.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible for class D amps to be able to reach such power figures in a reliable way? Most completed amps that I’ve seen are very lacking in heat sinking and even fans (if needed). I know that the pro amp companies use class D solutions, but last I looked it was for (relatively) lower power applications.

I see one can get 2k/channel with an Ice power module. I haven’t heard good things about their reliability, however.

This Crown amp really “doubles down” to 2 ohms, unlike other amps that just lower their reported 8 ohm measurement to make it seem that way.
FWIW I don't see the "doubling down" type spec, altho it is rated for 2 ohm. I have used mine at 2 ohm for subs in any case without issue. I am not pushing continuously high power output, rather typical home needs.

robwpdx

By consumer hi-fi standards, the noise and distortion is quite high. That is not the target of this amplifier class though. It is meant to produce a lot of power and do it day in and day out. And provide in-built DSP to handle jobs like crossover, delay, etc. To that end, the XTi 4002 delivers on its promise in an impressively way -- better than any amplifier I have tested to date.
Is the reason for noise in high power Class AB or D amplifiers the additive noise of parallel output stage FETs or transistors? And/or is it hard to find low noise power devices? It appears the output stage is conventionally biased in the linear range.

The other question is, do commercial power amps use automotive-military qualified chips or under rate their capacitor voltages?

To control the fan, they must have temperature sensors, so I wonder what junction temperature on the power stage they target. The higher the temperature, the shorter the reliability life.

The TO-3 package is great for heat. You have a good size die you have to remove the heat from the back of and conduct it to the heat sink.

I wonder what the state of SiC and GaN devices over silicon in audio power stages is today?

FWIW I don't see the "doubling down" type spec, altho it is rated for 2 ohm. I have used mine at 2 ohm for subs in any case without issue. I am not pushing continuously high power output, rather typical home needs.

I was referring to this plot:
1689824117364.png

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What’s the background noise at a typical performance venue?
50dB-70dB. Probably 20-30dB more than a quiet home/studio listening room/studio/theatre

So a SINAD of 20-30 dB below home hi-if; at ~70dB is just fine.

Crown- Competently engineered and fully fit for purpose.

The show must go on.

Thanks to @amirm for characterising this.

Where do you typically use these type of professional amplifiers for custom installs?
High end theatres eg. 30-300 persons?

PS.
Class D can scale all the way up to x kW and all the way down to 1ohm too.

Just ask Lab Gruppen and Powersoft etc.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not too surprised, except by the fan noise. In law school I used XTi2000, the previous generation and next step down in power, to drive my desktop/nearfield subwoofer. It worked very well and the fan rarely kicked on. I wouldn’t use it with mains speakers. Too noisy.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir. :) Incredible amount of power. You say "locked up in a cabinet". But not too small a cabinet without vetilation. It might get too hot for the amplifier in that case. Or what do you think?

Edit:
Speaking of PA amps used for home hifi. Replacing existing fans with silent Noctua fans may be a solution? If it works technically and if such silent fans can pump enough air.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
How audible would the noise and distortion be if this is used for consumer subwoofer duty? At what frequency do we start to notice noise and distortion?
The higher the frequency, the more sensitive we become. When does noise and distortion become audible with subwoofer duty? Check out this study below.
Attached images are from that study. It takes a lot of distortion in the subwoofer case:;):)
(around 60% distortion)

For those who want distortion in % instead of dB can use this calculator:

Attachments

• distortion_figure01.gif
    distortion_figure01.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 69
  • distortion_figure02.gif
    distortion_figure02.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks perfect to push a pair of subwoofers (or the 2 drivers of a directional subwoofer) to high level: tons of power, and the sub passive filter will probably remove enough of the noise.
Quite good power for 1200€.

0.05% THD+N is a quite common figure for pro hardware, BTW.

@amirm
No longer power consumption measurements ?

Top Bottom