• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ask me questions.

tarnopol

Hey John, I‘m rocking a LA90 with an E70v on top. Regarding volume control, would you rather volume bypass the amp and attentuate the DAC output or set the amp to say ten o‘clock and run the DAC between 90 to 100 percent „full volume“? I know a preamp inbetween might be the best solution, but that‘s no option right now.

Thanks!

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the EE talent pool for analog and digital audio product development in the PRC?

What has been the impact of amateur radio operators on technical knowledge and learning?

When do young people become interested in electronics and science? Is it accepted by their peers? How are the career aspirations of young people segmented, and does it vary geographically?

What is the hifi culture in the PRC? How does that interact with music education? Do adults meet to play classical music together in their apartments?

What is the amateur recording scene with prosumer equipment?

Are headphones preferred in apartments?
Man. That's a lot of questions.
1, I wouldn't say it's that different from in the west. Software is much more dominant. It's rare to see analog and digital designers.
2, Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking.
3, Most don't, they choose what the field to study before getting into the university without thinking through. This is the biggest issue with students in China. They have no idea what they want to do. What's worse many don't even know what they are interested in.
4, Chinese HiFi culture is like more extreme but separated. One is science driven/performance driven the other is whatever sounds good and has good reputation. But I don't think overall is that different either. The influence of ASR is deep and profound. I have no idea about music education in China or overall.
5, Not as prosperous as in the west I suppose. But the demand on streaming and those kind of thing is huge.
6, As long you don't disturb your neighbors, speakers are fine. But good headphones are cheaper than good speakers and you don't need to do room treatments.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi John,

I have a DX3 pro plus, the input via spdif is from an old chromecast and the dx3 signal goes into a audiophonics mpa-s250nc. The dx3 output display runs from 99db down. Most of the time I am around 20-25 but sometimes, especially with some classical music recorded quitely i am down to 15 or even lower.

My questions are: what do these numbers even mean and how low (loud) can i go without possibly damaging my equipment (ears not counted as equipment!). In general does quality change as i go lower?
Firstly, generally you don't damage the devices just by playing music. So you don't need to worry.
If you are interested, the max should go to the amp's input sensitivity spec. dx3 outputs 2V at max. 1.4V at -3db, 1V at -6db. According to the spec max is 1.66V so -2dB on dx3.
But still small clipping will not damage the device.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi @JohnYang1997 Kudos for opening this thread, it's appreciated

Can I ask about your differentiation between the "Topping" and the "TP" brands?
Can you categorise what they represent, and do you expect new products to come for both brands? (any more brands planned?)
Topping: Better looking, generally smaller, mainly for desktop use, distributed by many resellers.
TP: Larger size, remote volume is a must, lower cost solutions on the chassis, for slightly longer range use like in living room or listening room. Sold by topping directly.
Topping Professional: For professional products like audio interface, preamp, standalone ADC etc. Sold by different resellers.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi @JohnYang1997

In the past, the chief engineer at McIntosh Laboratory said "No more vacuum tubes!", but market demand was too great, so now McIntosh sells many new vacuum tube products. Have you ever worked with tubes, and if so, do you have any favorite tube types?
I have used 6dj8 and achieved very good performance with it. Issue is things are power hungry, makes heat, don't last forever, swapping tubes may change performance altogether etc. Noise is still high. We are made to provide best performing products. Not that we will not do Tubes, but it's something that only happens when we don't have other things to do.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hey John, I‘m rocking a LA90 with an E70v on top. Regarding volume control, would you rather volume bypass the amp and attentuate the DAC output or set the amp to say ten o‘clock and run the DAC between 90 to 100 percent „full volume“? I know a preamp inbetween might be the best solution, but that‘s no option right now.

Thanks!
You can do the latter. And I personally do this with my setups.
Set the volume on the amp to the loudest level I would want to listen to while the dac is at full output. Then I can just change the level on the source or on the dac.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
2, Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking.

I think he is referring to ham radio operators. These are hobbyists who operate their own radio station.

4, Chinese HiFi culture is like more extreme but separated. One is science driven/performance driven the other is whatever sounds good and has good reputation. But I don't think overall is that different either. The influence of ASR is deep and profound. I have no idea about music education in China or overall.

Sounds like Japanese hifi culture :) There are engineering focused companies on one extreme (Sony, Esoteric, Denon, Yamaha) and all sorts of weird mystical companies on the other (Kondo, 47 Labs, Koetsu, Yamamoto, Shindo, etc.). Think old guru with a long beard who lives in the mountains, only drinks spring water, continuing a 3000 year old tradition of hand winding transformers with pure silver, etc. Come to think of it, the same could be said about Western companies, only that the "what sounds good" camp draw on a different type of mysticism for marketing.

Curvature

Major Contributor
ASR happened.
No doubt true, but I'm wondering what happened for engineers designing this gear. If ASR is all it took, was the knowledge always there but not the will? Or were there significant steps in knowledge we don't know about?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping has achieved an excellent reputation by offering excellent performing audio components at attractive prices.
Topping was also influential in shaping the reduced-volume industrial design in audio hardware.
Vene, Vidi, Vici.
Even Caesar had plans for the future: :oops:
1. What are Topping's?
2. Have you entertained widening your offerings by some hi-grade video products for audio extraction?

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
John, I hope that this isn't too late, but does Topping have any plans to put a phono preamplifier on the market any time soon?

threni

Major Contributor
No doubt true, but I'm wondering what happened for engineers designing this gear. If ASR is all it took, was the knowledge always there but not the will? Or were there significant steps in knowledge we don't know about?
It's always harder to do things properly. If people didn't measure the speed of computers, games consoles, cpus etc and people instead just shrugged and said said "feels a lot faster to me/the difference between a and b is clear/you get more polygons if you put your console on a wooden table" etc then why bother actually creating faster kit? Whereas now - to the extent ASR is having an impact, and I hope it is, although I have no idea how your quantify that - there's a market for companies to do it properly.

threni

Major Contributor

ferite

@JohnYang1997 What is your comment on the current issues with the LA90 Discrete? When can we expect a fixed version to come?

I need an amplifier now and was close to click place order when I decided to check the thread again.
Same here. I was about to buy a couple of LA90D to use them as monoblocks, but the reported issues prevent me from go with the purchasing. @JohnYang1997 , I think that if Topping can identufy what's the problem and launch a fixed version of the product, many of us are willing to give it an opportunity. LA90D is such a winner product, that only needs to recover the trust of consumers.

dartinbout

Mr. Yang,

Thank you for answering our myriad questions. I have but one request. Your remote controls put out a weak IR signal and are highly directional. My extensive Topping stack, sits across the room from my main listening position. There may be unknown benefits from contorting my frame to activate various features, using the included RC, but I'm not as flexible as I once was. Please consider improving them.

Top Bottom