• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-X - Amp/Dac question

Helant

Hello everyone I need your help,

I recently bought an Audeze LCD-X (my first expensive headphones) and I was expecting that they will blow me away but they sound really similar to my cheap Koss UR20, they don't sound bad but they are really not that much better, they just feel underwhelming for their price. (I use them without Amp or anything just straight into PC, but they are loud enough).

Will buying a Amp/Dac fix this issue and make them sound better?

I was thinking about Topping DX7 Pro is this a good pair with LCD?

I am sorry for stupid questions and Thank you for your help.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello and welcome to ASR! :)

Congrats on your purchase and I am sorry to hear you are underwhelmed. Out of box tuning of LCD-X does not represent the full potential of what that headphone can do unfortunately. You don't need a powerful amp to get the best out of if, you need EQ.

If your source is a computer of some sort, you can check out the thread here for a good EQ solution. If it is not, and you can not EQ at the source, then I'd recommend Qudelix 5K. It is a well measured, transparent sounding Bluetooth enabled, portable DAC/AMP combo with built-in EQ and can transform LCD-X into a very entertaining headphone.

As for the EQ settings, here is the one suggested by Oratory1990.

OP
H

Helant

Oh yeah I have already tried messing with EQ (Equalizer APO) and I tried the Oratory1990 settings, it did sound a little bit better ,but the -9,5dB preamp made it too quiet.

However I just tried listening to music with my dads old Disc Player + Stereo Amplifier and then compare the same track on PC and I must say its a day and night difference, that extra power from the Amp really makes them come alive. So I kinda solved my problem/worry.

As you said I dont need a powerful amp, however if I was stupid enough to overkill it (Like with the headphones lol) and buy previously mentioned Topping DX7 Pro or even Topping DX7 Pro+, would they work with LCD-X?

Thank you!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the LCD-X and wasn't impressed even at the great price I got them at.The Hifiman Arya Stealth blows them away by comparison. Audeze hype is rampant on the Internet. They're good, but not worth the prices they charge. Grab a pair of 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 for a baseline how great something can sound for $24.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone I need your help,

I recently bought an Audeze LCD-X (my first expensive headphones) and I was expecting that they will blow me away but they sound really similar to my cheap Koss UR20, they don't sound bad but they are really not that much better, they just feel underwhelming for their price. (I use them without Amp or anything just straight into PC, but they are loud enough).

Will buying a Amp/Dac fix this issue and make them sound better?

I was thinking about Topping DX7 Pro is this a good pair with LCD?

I am sorry for stupid questions and Thank you for your help.

Using an EQ with such preamp warrants some amplifier, agreed with that, but I don’t think you need more than a DX3 Pro+ even with EQ as the LCD-X are fairly efficient (I owned the 2021 ones). I used them with the A30 Pro, which may be more power than you really need.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah I have already tried messing with EQ (Equalizer APO) and I tried the Oratory1990 settings, it did sound a little bit better ,but the -9,5dB preamp made it too quiet.

However I just tried listening to music with my dads old Disc Player + Stereo Amplifier and then compare the same track on PC and I must say its a day and night difference, that extra power from the Amp really makes them come alive. So I kinda solved my problem/worry.

As you said I dont need a powerful amp, however if I was stupid enough to overkill it (Like with the headphones lol) and buy previously mentioned Topping DX7 Pro or even Topping DX7 Pro+, would they work with LCD-X?

Thank you!
Yes. They DX7 Pro or Pro+ will work fine. As explained by others, it would be a massive overkill. Even with -9.5dB preamp, LCD-X will be super loud with an amp that can deliver 1V / 100mW. Pro Plus can do 1500mW. Might come in handy if you plan to purchase less sensitive cans in the future though.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own them, they are great with the right eq, but they must be eq'd. My recommendation is the oratory eq, use Equalizer APO, and the amp you want is a Topping: The A70 Pro which puts out 17 wpc. Not only will it drive LCD-X's, it will drive whatever you might buy in the future, and it is not that much more than the DX7 Pro. Well worth the splurge imho.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own them, they are great with the right eq, but they must be eq'd. My recommendation is the oratory eq, use Equalizer APO, and the amp you want is a Topping: The A70 Pro which puts out 17 wpc. Not only will it drive LCD-X's, it will drive whatever you might buy in the future, and it is not that much more than the DX7 Pro. Well worth the splurge imho.
If you go A70 Pro route, you are gonna need a DAC too though. DX7 Pro is a DAC/AMP combo.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
However I just tried listening to music with my dads old Disc Player + Stereo Amplifier and then compare the same track on PC and I must say its a day and night difference
The reason it sound different is probably because it just uses the loudspeaker amp with some added resistors. This will have high output impedance and will boost bass quite a bit. The same effect can be had by an EQ bass boost.

As others have mentioned: if you need to lower gain too much with EQ, an extra amp may be warranted.

OP
H

Helant

Thanks everyone for your advices, I am gonna go with the DX7 Pro+ and after proper EQ they will hopefully sound great.

Top Bottom