• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live and KEF LS 50 W 2

kiritz

Greetings all. Alas, I think I know the answer to this question but since I am fairly ignorant of many of the technicalities, I thought I would ask. I have KEF LS 50 Wireless II set up with two subs and use Roon on my Mac for my music source material. I have become intrigued by what I have heard about DIRAC Live 3. However, as you know, the KEFs have the DAC and DSP and AMP built into the box. So my question relates to whether or not there is a way to install the DIRAC software on my Mac and make use of the measurements and DSP features to improve the output from my system. I should say that the KEFs with subs sound pretty darn good as is. But, as you know, we always seek the holy grail of audio perfection.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @kiritz! Welcome to ASR.

Dirac Live is available as a VST plug-in, which you can run on your Mac using VST host software like the ones in this list:
Screenshot_20231008-185705_Chrome.png
(Link to the list for functioning hyperlinks)

OP
K

kiritz

Hi @kiritz! Welcome to ASR.

Dirac Live is available as a VST plug-in, which you can run on your Mac using VST host software like the ones in this list:
View attachment 317543
(Link to the list for functioning hyperlinks)
Thanks much for your response! And forgive my ignorance, but I am truly not tech savvy. When you say run on your mac using VST host software, the list seems to include music playing software like J River. I use Roon as my music playing software. So I am struggling with how to put all these pieces together. Can I still use Roon for example? Do I download the VST plug in and one of the host software programs and will it be obvious what to do next?

OP
K

kiritz

This may be a bit beyone me. I downloaded eqMac but now the Dirac directions for using the plugin include the following: "This application is specific and can only be used with Digital Audio Workstations (e.g. ProTools/Cubase/Reaper) in a recording studio setting. For all standard applications of Dirac Live, please refer to our Dirac Live products such as DDRC and SHD series." I have no idea whether this is something I can do in a relatively straightforward manner.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You can use DiracLive as a plugin (AU or VST) with any software that will support such plug-ins. Jriver (on PC or Mac) will but Roon (on PC or Mac) will not.
You can use DiracLive with with Roon (on PC or Mac) by installing it not as a plug-in but as "a virtual audio card."

OP
K

kiritz

You can use DiracLive as a plugin (AU or VST) with any software that will support such plug-ins. Jriver (on PC or Mac) will but Roon (on PC or Mac) will not.
You can use DiracLive with with Roon (on PC or Mac) by installing it not as a plug-in but as "a virtual audio card."
Thank you! Are there instructions on installing DiracLive as a virtual audio card on their website? Or is there some other place where I can find how to do this? Again, I am a master at music but a novice at tech.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you! Are there instructions on installing DiracLive as a virtual audio card on their website?
Yes. You can download the instructions.

Top Bottom