• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost SuperFlatLine Speaker Cable Review

Rate this speaker cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 252 93.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
7 years ago I measured Nordost Valhalla speaker cable. It happily catches all the HF EMI from the surroundings.

Nordost_Valahalla_HF.png

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
7 years ago I measured Nordost Valhalla speaker cable. It happily catches all the HF EMI from the surroundings.

View attachment 292626

I see that the insanely priced Odin Supreme Reference speaker cables have a similar construction. <https://nordost.com/odin-supreme-reference/odin/speaker-cable.php>. You might literally be better off with "bell wire", even ignoring the price.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Twice I've encountered expensive rigs with a hum problem. Both times they were using Nordost flat line interconnects. One case moderately long lengths, and one case in a very long lengths. I grabbed some cheap RG6 coax interconnect and voila' the hum was gone. What I couldn't do was get back the thousands of dollars gone for the hum prone stupidly designed interconnect. The look on the owners face when the hum disappeared with what were actually RGB video cables was worth something however.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 292605

...The terminations were surprisingly loose as I inserted them in the banana jacks of my Audio Precision analyzer.
Could it be the terminations are meant to be push through the cable opening on a binding post and then screwed tight? They don't look like the standard banana plug to me, more like this instead.

tumbnail_161d950a-8b8c-4184-9369-c7a4f7e204ab.jpg

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A % of speed of light is a now a measure of propagation delay (time)? What if I place my speakers on the moon? What is the delay then? 91 % the speed of light? :rolleyes::)

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if the noise picked by this cable can influence the sound and indeed people hear the difference and call it "better"

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Twice I've encountered expensive rigs with a hum problem. Both times they were using Nordost flat line interconnects. One case moderately long lengths, and one case in a very long lengths. I grabbed some cheap RG6 coax interconnect and voila' the hum was gone. What I couldn't do was get back the thousands of dollars gone for the hum prone stupidly designed interconnect. The look on the owners face when the hum disappeared with what were actually RGB video cables was worth something however.
I wish I could say that the stupid with so much money deserve to lose it, but in this case it goes to scam artists, not a worthwhile cause.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish I could say that the stupid with so much money deserve to lose it, but in this case it goes to scam artists, not a worthwhile cause.
No they weren't stupid. Yes, cables like this are stupid, but the people were not. Electronics and such simply were not their area of expertise. Any of us can make foolish decisions in an area where we aren't educated. An area we can be conned or scammed.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The mere fact to put this onto a spec for a cable cracks me up and should be a dead giveaway that sth is fishy. (The other specs are at least somewhat technical but I guess that’s part of the pseudoscience scheme ).
It is a legitimate thing. No more or less relevant than copper purity, but a real thing.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
About the only justification I could see for using something with this form factor would be to run them behind baseboard or under a rug... but it's too delicate for that, and doesn't have the right jacket material for in-wall use... so???
You could be on to something here.
Cable sinkers for under-rug use

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot see the resistance parameter.
They say 23 AWG for the conductors. 23 AWG has 0.258 mm^2 area. 8 conductors then has about 2.064 mm^2 area, or about the same as 14 AWG. That is better than I would have guessed. This if I read the AWG table correctly or otherwise flub something.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I doubt their promoted "propagation delay = 91% speed of light".

I found this surprising, too. A velocity factor of 0.9 is unusually large for a cable of this construction. But who knows?

It can actually be measured in a rather simple way, as Alan Wolke demonstrates here:

(He measures the length of the cable given its velocity factor, but with a known length the same procedure can be used to determine the velocity factor.)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I definitely want a higher velocity factor. I don't want to wait around to hear my music.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What if I place my speakers on the moon?

Yeah, we need to measure speaker impedance in a vacuum, just in case.

I think I can guess the SPL, frequency response, phase, etc.

Top Bottom