• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers from last century that you love

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Well, if 1977 is modern: yes :) It's an attempt at a studio monitor, vs a home speaker.
In the linked text you can read the following, with which I do not entirely agree.

"It was an audacious design from a company with no prior reputation for making serious loudspeakers..."

Why not agreed? I've had Yamaha speakers before that were very good, even if they didn't have beryllium domes. They were the first speakers where I noticed a beautiful precision in the woodwork and finish that was totally unusual at that time. Especially compared to my other speakers from the USA or UK from the same period.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the linked text you can read the following, with which I do not entirely agree.

"It was an audacious design from a company with no prior reputation for making serious loudspeakers..."

Why not agreed? I've had Yamaha speakers before that were very good, even if they didn't have beryllium domes. They were the first speakers where I noticed a beautiful precision in the woodwork and finish that was totally unusual at that time. Especially compared to my other speakers from the USA or UK from the same period.
They had no reputation in the professional market at that time, is what they're saying, I think. Even NS-10s were originally bookshelf home speakers.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, now I understand. The 'M' is a modern redesign.

No, 'M' means studio "Monitor" model, even though NS-1000M has been widely used in home audio system.

NS-1000 (higher price) has been produced and sold simultaneously along with NS-1000M quite a long period.
NS-1000 has heavier, thicker, and aesthetically richer cabinet than NS-1000M.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Talking about studio monitors, I could live with a set of these from last century.

View attachment 278565

These are actually DIY versions of the Altec 9846A studio monitor, built to look less stark than the original. I think they turned out quite well.
I also liked the EV Sentry III. But these old-timers are all worn out today, or at least in need of major restoration. Their time is simply over. They would no longer fit into my interior design concept.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
NS-1000 has heavier thicker rich aesthetic cabinet than NS-1000M.
That was the one I had. I had many things from Yamaha, also turntables, amps, musical instruments and professional equipment. Never was disappointed, have always been happy with the quality.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also liked the EV Sentry III. But these old-timers are all worn out today, or at least in need of major restoration. Their time is simply over. They would no longer fit into my interior design concept.
Yes, the Sentry IIIs were nice, too.

My interior design concept is built around the speakers ;)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I did not make many photos in the old days, when digital cameras did not exist. This is a scanned photo of one of my humble setups in the youth, it was when the Yamaha Natural Sound System appeared new on the market.

alte-anlage.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that article has wrong picture at the top.
The NS1000M and NS1000 are contemporaries the picture at the top of that article is the new NS5000 which is a modern speaker using different drivers and the ubiquitous piano black finish.

Yes, you are right!

I recently intensively auditioned new NS-5000 at Yamaha's dedicated audio room/cottage.
Please refer to my post here for the details.

As I shared here on my project thread, you would be interested in this 8-page web article on Yamaha speakers especially focusing on NS-5000, NS-1000M, NS-1000 (I have been using in my project thread), NS-2000, NS-1000X and the centenary model NSX-10000. This article was written in December 2016 just after the launch of NS-5000.

Based on my I personal experience of attending Yamaha's promotion event of NS-5000 (see here), I fully agree with the writer of the article for rather disappointments on NS-5000.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The last YAMAHA speakers I remember were from the early Pianocraft series. Small but mighty. That was more than 10 years ago. I used them in the near field on my desk together with a Sony HiFi amplifier. After that came the Neumann KH120A as a step up.

ina-video1-1280.jpg

375HP2482

A friend of mine had an interesting pair of JBL L77 two-way 10" speakers that I liked.
Lancer77.jpg

A lot of bass from what was then a relatively small enclosure. First system I saw that used a passive radiator.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
A selection from the 1970s:

Tannoy Monitor Gold in Lancaster cabinets, from 1973
Rogers Compact Monitor, from 1979
Acoustic Research AR6, I think from 1974

(Focal Aria 906 on top, which don't count as old)

The Tannoy and Rogers both sound amazing (to my ears), but in different ways.

IMG_20210907_224839.jpg

The AR6 were rescued from a relative's house. Sadly awaiting repair as the foam surround was not good!

IMG_20210907_225051.jpg

Insides of the Tannoy:

I think these LSU/15/8 might be similar drivers as in the Westminster cabinet that @Waxx posted on the previous page. The Lancaster cabinet looks tiny in comparison however!!

DSCF2968.JPG

DSCF2969.JPG

DSCF2975.JPG

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VMPS SUPER TOWER III - 1994
• Mass loaded with user adjustable bass damping; -3dB at 14Hz.
• Sensitivity 95dB/1W/1m.
• Power handling 800W rms into 6 Ohms.
• 78" height, 18.5" wide, 18" deep.
• Drivers: 15", 12", 2-10" Woofers, 4-5" Mid-Ranges, 4-1" Soft-Dome & 1 Ribbon Tweeter.
• Weight approx. 150 lbs.

vmps st3.png

I bought the VMPS SuperTower III in 1994. They have been amazingly sturdy and were moved between an office and several different homes. The bottom of the cabinet contains a 15" passive radiator. It's accessible by removing the bottom wood stand. The foam surround on the passive radiator required a replacement but everything else is original. They can fill a room unlike any other speaker I own. :D

Top Bottom