• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room EQ and subwoofer management hardware: Anti-Mode X2 by DSPEAKER

Cedludo

Hi guys.
I read the eight pages (by google translation, I'm French), but didn't see any reviews for one thing I'm asking.

I'll take an X2 (which will be used in 2.1) to EQ my room that needs it!

Its place (in fixed output because I wouldn't use the DSpeaker volume) will be between my SMLS SU-1 DAC and my integrated hifi stereo.
The idea is to connect the RCA output of my SMSL to the RCA input of the X2, then the RCA output of the X2 to the RCA AUX input (for example... it could be the CD one) of my electronics.
Is it ok guys?
Thanks in advance.
friendly

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It is possible, but you will get an extra AD/DA conversion, also you will go through the preamp of the X2 (it cannot be bypassed)

Cedludo

Thank you for the quick response.
Is it a problem to go through another AD/DA conversion?
(I thought that in purely analog connection we bypassed the DAC of the X2...)
User feedback seems to say that the implementation of the X2 "is quite transparent", so I would keep the processing quality of the SMSL su-1 DAC?

Another question comes to me suddenly .... RCA cables of better quality than basic would it be a plus?

friendly

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for the quick response.
Is it a problem to go through another AD/DA conversion?
(I thought that in purely analog connection we bypassed the DAC of the X2...)
User feedback seems to say that the implementation of the X2 "is quite transparent", so I would keep the processing quality of the SMSL su-1 DAC?

Another question comes to me suddenly .... RCA cables of better quality than basic would it be a plus?

friendly

The EQ / room calibration in the X2 happens in the digital domain, so the X2 will always digitalize the analog input. The X2 is reasonably transparent, but it will not be as good as the SU-1, so the point of the SMSL sort of goes away if you set it up like this. You might as well connect digitally directly to the X2 and skip the external DAC in that case.

Cedludo

The EQ / room calibration in the X2 happens in the digital domain, so the X2 will always digitalize the analog input. The X2 is reasonably transparent, but it will not be as good as the SU-1, so the point of the SMSL sort of goes away if you set it up like this. You might as well connect digitally directly to the X2 and skip the external DAC in that case.

Ok I see... in this configuration the purchase of the SMSL DAC is therefore useless if I lose the benefits....
But... I may have a second possibility to put the X2, I explain:
I always go to the RCA output of the SMSL, but this time plugged directly into the RCA AUX input of my integrated.
And I connect the X2 by its RCA input/output, on the RCA Pre out and Amp-in of my Advance Acoustic (See photo, the two parts are originally connected by bridges, therefore dissociable to insert the X2).
In this plan B, do I keep the benefits of the SMSL DAC or still not?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511_232443.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511_232443.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 50

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ok I see... in this configuration the purchase of the SMSL DAC is therefore useless if I lose the benefits....
But... I may have a second possibility to put the X2, I explain:
I always go to the RCA output of the SMSL, but this time plugged directly into the RCA AUX input of my integrated.
And I connect the X2 by its RCA input/output, on the RCA Pre out and Amp-in of my Advance Acoustic (See photo, the two parts are originally connected by bridges, therefore dissociable to insert the X2).
In this plan B, do I keep the benefits of the SMSL DAC or still not?

Still not. As long as the X2 is in the chain, after the SML, it will be like this.

withoutsuit

Hopefully anyone did already sent one to amir - I'm so eager to know how it performs measured....

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hopefully anyone did already sent one to amir - I'm so eager to know how it performs measured....

From a SINAD perspective I suspect it's not awesome, but very likely high enough to be transparent in practice. I guess you saw the blind test elsewhere here on ASR when people can hardly detect the worst measuring amp of all times. :)

Cedludo

Hi guys.
X2 on order it's coming next week.
I'm eager to!
How do you turn off the variable volume on it, in order to be in fixed volume when not used in DAC/Volume control?
Not seen in the thread or on the manual...
friendly

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi guys.
X2 on order it's coming next week.
I'm eager to!
How do you turn off the variable volume on it, in order to be in fixed volume when not used in DAC/Volume control?
Not seen in the thread or on the manual...
friendly

I don't think it supports that. It also doesn't have digital out.

Cedludo

Thanks for confirming.
Too bad not to have implemented a fixed output... Or at least a deactivation of the volume control (Many DACs are like that, with the double choice).
So how is everyone doing?
set the volume to maximum on the X2 and it will be the integrated one that will vary the volume?

Last edited:

Cedludo

Hi guys.
I've been thinking a lot for two days about the evolution of my 2.1 system with the X2...
And I think I can (still) simplify while gaining in sound quality.

The smsl su1 dac, returned to Amazon following feedback telling me that it would not be of much use with the X2 positioned after it.

But suddenly... rather than inserting the Dspeaker between my source (in optics) and my integrated...
Why would I not use the X2 as an EQ of course, but also as a DAC and Preamp (volume control, tone control and balance)??
By placing a power block (Nuprime STA-9, Audiophonics based on Hypex..) downstream and voila!
Wouldn't that be better? What do you think ?

People use the X2 like that, in "pre / dac / eq"?
If yes, are you satisfied please?

friendly

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi guys.
I've been thinking a lot for two days about the evolution of my 2.1 system with the X2...
And I think I can (still) simplify while gaining in sound quality.

The smsl su1 dac, returned to Amazon following feedback telling me that it would not be of much use with the X2 positioned after it.

But suddenly... rather than inserting the Dspeaker between my source (in optics) and my integrated...
Why would I not use the X2 as an EQ of course, but also as a DAC and Preamp (volume control, tone control and balance)??
By placing a power block (Nuprime STA-9, Audiophonics based on Hypex..) downstream and voila!
Wouldn't that be better? What do you think ?

People use the X2 like that, in "pre / dac / eq"?
If yes, are you satisfied please?

friendly

Yes, that is more or less its intended use. Having an integrated amp makes it difficult to implement DSP in a good way. X2 + power amp would be a better setup.

kma100

Forum Donor
@Cedludo my set up is Bluesound Node -> X2 -> Outlaw amp -> speaker. The Node is set for fixed output and I control the volume using the X2 volume control. The Amp is a standard amplifier (not an Integrated amp, i.e. no volume control, DAC, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Cedludo

Thank you both for your feedback, it's a great help guys!
So, at first...
The X2 will be connected to the amp part of my Advance XI60 (the pre part can be separated from the amp part by removing the jumpers).
So it will play as EQ/DAC/"preamp".
It will give me time to choose a more qualitative Stereo block (I hesitate between the Audiophonics MPA S250-NC, the Nuprime STA-9, the Emotiva BasX A2 and the Advance A-160...).
My X2 will be connected to a linear power supply, not that it is necessarily needed, but as I still have an output on my power supply as much as it serves ....

For my question yesterday, when X2 intercalate between source and integrated amp, I read on another forum that it was necessary to put the volume of the X2 to the bottom and voila.
It may help some who are also wondering.

friendly

RosalieTheDog

Interesting device for a 2.1 or 2.2 setup. The OPs question regarding how to pair this with an XLR input poweramp or powered speakers was never answered. Is that at all possible? An antimode X3 with XLR and RCA would be nice.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Interesting device for a 2.1 or 2.2 setup. The OPs question regarding how to pair this with an XLR input poweramp or powered speakers was never answered. Is that at all possible? An antimode X3 with XLR and RCA would be nice.

You can connect it to poweramp or active speakers, but only through RCA.

For XLR support you need X4 or the older Dualcore.

Cedludo

Hi guys.
With the latest update the X2 has a lot more settings options and it's great!
But nothing in the manual and on the web explaining the following points:
- How to put my root file of the EQ on USB key
- How to access the browser or edit manually
-How to reinject the retouched EQ on USB key, AND in the X2

Who did this and could tell the steps to do guys?

Friendly

Top Bottom