• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC502MP 8-Channel Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 100 43.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 121 52.8%

• Total voters

Shinrei

A 53 vrms constant voltage source with a 98 db sinad with 8 channels for $2295. That's less than $300 a channel. Wow.

Save the money you would spend for an amplifier with expensive casework and just stick it in something like this along with all the rest of your audio toys.

g63179WCWL-F.jpg

It's just a great time to be an audiophile.
Nice furniture. What brand is it?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask where you got it? I'm currently searching for one and apart from the "standard" IKEA, there isn't much I could find.
That’s a BDI cabinet. Not cheap.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking good.:).
This unit combined with a good 8 channel DSP crossover makes for a good active stereo 4-way loudspeaker , DIY.
It's super expensive and overpowered though.
I rather eye the successor of the Topping PA5 for that and use a stronger amp for the bass.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's a lot of combined power,I love it!

What I do not love is the unusual degrade after 10 watts,taking it from the "blue" area to "green" where it stays all the way to it's limits.
I think Hypex should address that and it's good that this review revealed the issue.

Thanks Amir!

JktHifi

Yeah but you get way lower noise and distortion and literally 5-10x the power output from this beast.

That Pyle unit is an amazing deal for what it is, but if you want to build a high-end system, this is something to seriously consider.

The hump in distortion in the 30-100 watt power output range is disappointing, but also, still lower than distortion of many amps at 5 watts, so not something I'd worry too much about, especially in this price class.
Yes, agree. I cast vote #1 for the Pyle.
But the SINAD difference is 30%, then it should be plus 3x the price (Pyle), something above $1000 (half the listed).

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's a lot of combined power,I love it!

What I do not love is the unusual degrade after 10 watts,taking it from the "blue" area to "green" where it stays all the way to it's limits.
I think Hypex should address that and it's good that this review revealed the issue.

Thanks Amir!
For complete transparency (as I briefly mentioned to Amir):

The “hump” in the distortion after 10w is known/published by Hypex in their latest data sheet (Revision 4, circa 2020). So it is something they are aware of/are not hiding it. See attached image, taken from the Rev4 data sheet.

I just wanted to make that clear, especially for those who might wonder if the said hump is due to binding post tabs/previous ferrous metal issues on my part (which it is not as this build has updated tabs of course).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-04 074325.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-04 074325.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 205

Sokel

Master Contributor

The “hump” in the distortion after 10w is known/published by Hypex in their latest data sheet (Revision 4, circa 2020). So it is something they are aware of/are not hiding it. See attached image, taken from the Rev4 data sheet.

I just wanted to make that clear, especially for those who might wonder if the said hump is due to binding post tabs/previous ferrous metal issues on my part (which it is not as this build has updated tabs of course).
Yes,the ferrous metal issue (which is now fixed by you) is the first one thinks after the last review and it's good to point out that the amp is like this by design and not by mistake.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Kind reminder: this amplifier clips when receiving more than 2.9V xlr.
If your DAC or preamplifier can spit out more than 2.9V and you (or your device) accidentally turn the volume all the way up, your speakers will get burned.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

This should be pinned.
Or at least upvoted a lot.
This is important.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Using NC502MP with its 600W peak power for surrounds is insane imo. I chose and use a smaller NC252MP for surrounds and only the NC502MP for front LCR speakers.

Great review though. A monster of a home theater amp!

Burning Sounds

Thanks for measuring this @amirm.

I've been using the Apollon version for about 4 years now to drive Linkwitz LX521s. It's complete overkill power-wise, but I've not blown anything and I'd rather have plenty of power than run into clipping.

I use an AC Infinity fan unit (Noctua replacement fans running at 700rpm max, so very quiet) on top of the amp with a sensor in the amp just above the small caps next to the output coils. I've found no issue with the heatsink temps at all, even without the fan unit, but with the modules on their side there are some small electrolytics that sit close to and just above the output coils and those coils get very hot.

I don't believe it is a big issue as they are 105deg C caps, but the fan unit can reduce the heat somewhat, especially if the amp is placed inside a cabinet and there is a high ambient temp.

Congrats @Buckeye Amps for producing a great amp at a really good price.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir, excellent diagnosis as usual.

I've been procrastinating over building a pair of Linkwitz LX mini 2 way speakers since hearing them several years ago, in the most acoustically confronting venue possible - a garage with brick walls and a concrete floor ..... and they sounded sublime.

What has been stopping me is an affordable front end that will have the features (DSP etc) required to do justice to Mr Linkwitz's design. I think it is now finally available with the recent arrival of the Mini DSP Flex 8 with digital in and 8 RCA analogue output channels

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-flex-eight

I will also include 2 x SVS SB 2000 active subwoofers = 6 channels

As the subs are active I will only require 4 channels of power and need to decide between 2 x 1ET400A Purifi stereo amps for about US$2,400 (Dylan from Buckeye advises it is more cost effective to purchase Purifi amps as 2 separate stereo units) OR 2 x NC502 for the woofers and 2 x NC252 for the tweeters in one box for only about US$1,000.

According to Amir's testing both alternatives fall into the "excellent" category with the Purifi about 4 db better on his SINAD measurements, however, Amir deferred recommending the Purifi due to the "hump" over 10W but did, however, recommend the NC502 just now.

For an extra US$1,400 will I really hear an audible difference between these alternative amps or will there be other much more mitigating issues. A single enclosure is also appealing as I will be shipping to Australia.

I'm currently communicating with Dylan of Buckeye Amps and I am in 2 minds whether to purchase the Purifi or NC502/252 combination ... any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. the total system will cost about $600 (FLEX) + $1,000 (AMP) + $550 (LX mini) + $1000 (SUBS) =$3,150
and I am confident that whatever amp I choose I will have a system equal to one costing 5 times that amount.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
According to Amir's testing both alternatives fall into the "excellent" category with the Purifi about 4 db better on his SINAD measurements, however, Amir deferred recommending the Purifi due to the "hump" over 10W but did, however, recommend the NC502 just now.
The hump for the Purifi is not how it should have measured, due to what we finally found out was steel binding post tabs. Hence Amir couldn’t recommend until the issue was fixed (which it has been and is pending an updated review).

The hump for the NC502MP is to be expected. But audibly is not an issue so hence the recommendation.

Burning Sounds

Thanks for the review Amir, excellent diagnosis as usual.

I've been procrastinating over building a pair of Linkwitz LX mini 2 way speakers since hearing them several years ago, in the most acoustically confronting venue possible - a garage with brick walls and a concrete floor ..... and they sounded sublime.

What has been stopping me is an affordable front end that will have the features (DSP etc) required to do justice to Mr Linkwitz's design. I think it is now finally available with the recent arrival of the Mini DSP Flex 8 with digital in and 8 RCA analogue output channels

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-flex-eight

I will also include 2 x SVS SB 2000 active subwoofers = 6 channels

As the subs are active I will only require 4 channels of power and need to decide between 2 x 1ET400A Purifi stereo amps for about US$2,400 (Dylan from Buckeye advises it is more cost effective to purchase Purifi amps as 2 separate stereo units) OR 2 x NC502 for the woofers and 2 x NC252 for the tweeters in one box for only about US$1,000.

For an extra US$1,400 will I really hear an audible difference between these alternative amps or will there be other much more mitigating issues. A single enclosure is also appealing as I will be shipping to Australia.

I'm currently communicating with Dylan of Buckeye Amps and I am in 2 minds whether to purchase the Purifi or NC502/252 combination ... any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. the total system will cost about $600 (FLEX) + $1,000 (AMP) + $550 (LX mini) + $1000 (SUBS) =$3,150
and I am confident that whatever amp I choose I will have a system equal to one costing 5 times that amount.
I have LXMinis too, and if I was buying amps for them now I would go with 4x NC252s as it is plenty of power for these speakers. It might save you a little more money, too.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have LXMinis too, and if I was buying amps for them now I would go with 4x NC252s as it is plenty of power for these speakers. It might save you a little more money, too.
LX Minis obviously don’t need 600W. This amp is for a different application as 600W for surrounds is hardly needed in the common living room setups. More for small to medium size cinema rooms. IMHO.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Someone that has a home cinema or multi room setup that is relevant to go for that much power, and that can dedicate two circuits for amplification power is very likely to have a dedicated electrical closet with a rack. Are there rack mounting option? Nobody need such an ugly beast in plain view and it doesn't belong in typical living room credenzas, It's not made for a living room.

Top Bottom