• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A26 DAC & Streamer Review

Rate this DAC and Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 40.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 128 54.5%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having features integrated into a single unit and having good aesthetics and build quality may not matter to you, but it matters to many and adds value. You're not obliged to buy it but saying it's a ripoff is ridiculous.
I don’t really think it’s a rip-off. You get near SOTA performance a nice package and some streaming features. How much value that adds on top of what you pay for a base performance product is for everyone to decide themselves. For me 5x is not a good proposition.

Reactions: VQR

Trell

Major Contributor
… In general yes, but I still think it’s a false equivalence. You can’t replace your your Genelec stuff with something one fifth of the price and get equivalent performance. Also the convenience that your system gives you won’t improve with your proposed alternative. While a cheap streamer and DAC gives you basically interchangeable (and in some cases identical) convenience.
It would be much cheaper but calling it a “false equivalence” because it’s not a fifth of the cost is a bit strange. That’s not what “false equivalence” means.

These are just preferences and all of us have their own here.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be much cheaper but calling it a “false equivalence” because it’s not a fifth of the cost is a bit strange.
And that’s a staw man ;)

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure you can and no one claimed otherwise, as far as I can see.

But the same type of argument can be made for several other products. For instance, I’ve Genelec monitors and subwoofer that has builtin DSP for room EQ where that could be done more cheaply using software on a PC, never mind getting a much cheaper non-Genelec subwoofer. I’ve even RME ADI-2 DAC FS where I use the onboard dynamic loudness, tone controls, as well as PEQ for my headphones. That could also be done cheaper using software on a PC. Yet still I prefer not to have extra boxes or software running on a PC, even though that would have been cheaper by far.

This streamer/DAC is not for me but I for sure can see why someone would buy it.
If you buy a topping e30 dac and intel NUC or similar mini pc, it’s much more capable this “streamer” can ever dream of. Plus if you pick up the right small pc, it wont take more space than this streamer DAC would take. Also, as time passes, you can change the software making it a way better value.

Trell

Major Contributor
No, it was only half of what I wrote. The second part was far more important.
But as I wrote in that post: “These are just preferences and all of us have their own here.”

Trell

Major Contributor
If you buy a topping e30 dac and intel NUC or similar mini pc, it’s much more capable this “streamer” can ever dream of. Plus if you pick up the right small pc, it wont take more space than this streamer DAC would take. Also, as time passes, you can change the software making it a way better value.
Sure, that’s a viable way to do it and many will be happy with that. But so will this streamer/DAC.

As I wrote in an earlier post this device is not for me, but I do understand why some will be happy with it. That there are other approaches at a lesser cost but with potentially more configuration, setup, extra devices does not make this one a bad one.

It’s great to have options, though.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I think it is a fair point. Maybe a different name would be better. Any suggestions?
Transparency target/goal/threshold.

Since we can argue about what's transparent it might be good to prefix that "Amir's transparency target" or "ASR's ..." to indicate how he/we have chosen this.

Thinking about it a bit more, it is tough to be Amir isn't it.
Idk. It depends how you take getting something wrong. It provided an opportunity for me to learn something from PeteL. I'm grateful for that. The precondition to learning is ignorance, false beliefs, or making mistakes. So if you like learning it's good to not be thin skinned about being corrected.

I've learned a great deal on ASR. So I must have been wrong a lot.

Haskil

Forum Donor
Excellent Gustard machine, with magnificent measured performance. Cheer ! But this device is clearly not for me!

When you are an exclusive classical music lover, which is my case, the use of a hifi streamer is pointless because impractical if you are demanding in terms of use.

I use Roon, Audirvana, Jriver, Itunes-Music, Foobar and WMP (installed on MAC for the first and on a PC for the last two), out of personal interest to see how these software evolve - I am a music critic by profession. I have a Mac mini and a Windows tower.

Roon is excellent software but all of its "pluses" are ineffective for me because its algorithms of listening proposals depending on what I listen to are mediocre and even absurd at times and its way of doing research on Qobuz is unreliable ( discs do not go up when they exist) and therefore forced to have the Qobuz player installed separately to make more reliable searches directly on this platform, Roon's metadata are sometimes curious and even erroneous: Roon changes titles by others...

In these conditions, using it from an Ipad or a mobile phone... is painful or even impossible in too many cases...

Audirvana, more modest in its pretensions, is less problematic although it also has aberrations because it has trouble correctly sorting the performers from the metadata written in the local files and its sorting in Qobuz has the same kind of problems as Roon: not all the disks searched go up... But it works in a standard way in UpNP if desired.

For local files only: Itunes and WMP are much more efficient than Roon and Audirvana: and nobody tells me about poorer sound quality... or moreover about qualitative differences between Roon, Audirvana, Jriver, Foobar, Itunes or WMP... On the other hand, tell me that Foobar has a disastrous ergonomics: yes absolutely agree. That Jriver has mediocre ergonomics: yes again.

For a user who listens to classical music, who has a very large collection of records ripped or purchased as local files, who subscribes to a streaming platform and uses it in concert, nothing will replace a small computer. NUC or Mac Mini type directly connected to a USB, HDMI or optical DAC, with a remote screen, a keyboard, a mouse... which does not prevent an application on a tablet or mobile phone. .. At least there, on a computer, he can install the software he wants and not depend on Roon integrated in third-party software leased to a hifi streamer, because Volumio and the others are really not made for classical music and subtle research... Roon who has nothing universal, far from it... and whose RAAT is still too much in the dependence he creates... facing UpNP or the direct connection of a mini computer on a DAC...

Which means that for half the price of this Gustard you can have a much more flexible, efficient and scalable solution... and just as qualitative by taking a mini computer and a DAC. And those who don't want a computer on all the time... still get one castrated with its most useful features when they choose a proprietary app-driven streamer...

Sokel

Master Contributor
Technical review that as always goes down to money and YoU CaN HaVe MoRe FoR LeSs.
More what?SINAD? Sure.

Peace of mind about not burning your house,speakers,ears,etc as a properly generously spec'd in terms of components device would give you?
Not by any means.
Amir's comment about deskop,etc is a value that only some people here understood well.

Thanks Amir!

peniku8

Forum Donor
What? That is not my opinion. It is summary of peer-reviewed journal of AES by ex president of AES. I suggest you study the references I have at the end of the paper I linked to.
You seem to be misunderstanding my point, but the research you linked comes in handy to illustrate what I'm talking about.
In your review you drew a flat line over the entire frequency spectrum from 20Hz to 20+kHz and called it "threshold of hearing".

Here is the research done by Louis Fielder, which you linked:
index.php

And now yours:
index.php

I hope this made my point clear.

TNT

Why do these companies persist in making filters that dont comply to the sampling theorem?

The filter should be finished before Fs/2 not start at it... might as well not bother,,,,

//

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This notion of "Roon Ready" has come up before as Important.
Is "Roon" usage so very widespread?
Should one particular player's (Roon) compatibility be a benchmark for judging all hardware?
Should all hardware manufacturers cosy up to Roon in future?
Shouldn't just be adhering to DLNA, UPNP or other established protocols be enough for hardware manufacturers?
You may want to learn more about Roon. It’s not just a media player like Foobar, nor just a server like DLNA. It’s a distributed master-slave music system.

I am gonna guess that Foobar has far wider reach than Roon, yet no-one expects any hardware to be Foobar ready! Indeed, the reverse is true.
How do you propose the Foobar interface be utilised on a DAC, or streamer?

57gold

This unit "looks" well built, solid casing, significant power supplies with two toroids, state of the art chipsets...

Have read with interest that some folks believe that much less robustly constructed units offer equivalent performance and that such measures taken by Gustard have no audible impact on musical performance.

Find this somewhat hard to believe, as everything I use as a musician (electric and acoustic guitar) is greatly impacted by build quality, power supplies, transformers in amps, vacuum tubes that "meet spec" but impact sonics differently. Would seem to me that analog output of a DAC would be positively impacted by a beefy power supply supporting the analog stage of the unit.

What am I missing?

PeteL

Major Contributor
What’s different with this device?
It's a good question. HQ Player and Roon both have remote applications for IOS and Android, but they need Extra cost. For UpnP I am not so sure. In all case, Yes the fact that there don't appear to have bundled app suites that supports Tidal is definitely a no go for me. I think most will use it with Roon, but not for me.

Top Bottom