• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I add a HT/regular subwoofer to powered speakers?

Bruce80

Hi,
I'm not an audio producer, but I thought you might have a good solution for my problem.
Today I'm using Topping D10 Balanced DAC connected to powered speakers Adam Audio A3x.
I have a Home theatre powered subwoofer, which I want to add to this system. Unlike audio production dedicated subwoofers, I can't passthrough audio from the subwoofer.
Instead of buying an additional subwoofer, I want to use my current sub, and I wonder what is the name of the BOX in my image I'm looking for.
I would love this solution to be relatively small and cheap.
LPF to the sub only below 80Hz and HPF to the speakers with higher than 80Hz
sub_setup.png

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
MiniDSP Flex would work.

Review:

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

MiniDSP Flex would work.

Review:
Thank you but this is an extremely expansive solution. I just need a passive HPF/LPF box.

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

Closest thing I've found is this: Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 V2, a crossover with subwoofer Output.
As I am not familiar in production equipment, I'm not sure it does exactly what I'm looking for.
But the real problem is the size, at ~20 inch (52 cm), It is huge for my small desk. And the fact it an active (connected to AC) and passive, is also not clear to me as I don't need amplification or any change to the sound signature.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Passive filters for subs get rather bulky and expensive. Edit: never mind, you're at line level. There are some kind of half-*ss passive filters I've seen, if you don't mind very shallow slopes. Also, some subs offer filtering.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor

All you need is a box,connectors and a trafo for the right version.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You need a two-way active crossover with subwoofer output. These are available in many form factors. The rack mount unit is the first link that popped up in my search, but there are versions more suitable to home stereo use, and others intended for custom audio in cars.

Note: If you want to keep your balanced signals (which you should) the options are more limited to these pro audio solutions. The home and car versions use unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs.

Last edited:

Zapper

Closest thing I've found is this: Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 V2, a crossover with subwoofer Output.
As I am not familiar in production equipment, I'm not sure it does exactly what I'm looking for.
It's what you're looking for.
But the real problem is the size, at ~20 inch (52 cm), It is huge for my small desk.
Smaller options are available, but maybe not with balanced signals. Spend some time searching for "stereo active subwoofer crossover".
And the fact it an active (connected to AC) and passive, is also not clear to me as I don't need amplification or any change to the sound signature.
You want the active crossover as it isn't generally feasible to produce the precise crossover slopes desired with passive crossovers. The active crossovers also give you the ability to adjust the crossover frequencies and phases, and sometimes the slopes, to give optimum matching between your subwoofer and speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you please elaborate? and perhaps help me to understand what is the name of the component I'm looking for?
You are looking for an active crossover. Line level passive crossover is not a thing because it cannot be designed as the load impedances are not defined.

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

You need a two-way active crossover with subwoofer output. These are available in many form factors. The rack mount unit is the first link that popped up in my search, but there are versions more suitable to home stereo use, and others intended for custom audio in cars.

Note: If you want to keep your balanced signals (which you should) the options are more limited to these pro audio solutions. The home and car versions use unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs.
Thanks for the in-depth answers!
* The Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 has a dedicated sub out, so I see where the subwoofer is connected, but each of the main channels has two outputs, how can I connect a single input balanced speaker to it? I don't have in my speaker a separate input for high and for mids.
The DBX 223xs doesn't - It has no Sub Out connector. How do I connect a subwoofer to it?

Zapper

Thanks for the in-depth answers!
* The Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 has a dedicated sub out, so I see where the subwoofer is connected, but each of the main channels has two outputs, how can I connect a single input balanced speaker to it? I don't have in my speaker a separate input for high and for mids.
The DBX 223xs doesn't - It has no Sub Out connector. How do I connect a subwoofer to it?
There are two outputs per channel: high and low frequency (the labels below the jacks). Your speakers go on the high outputs. Ignore the "mid" label - that's for using the crossover in mono 3-way mode (hi/mid/low frequencies).

The DBX223 would require a Y connecter to combine two low freq outputs to the sub input. It's better if this is done inside the crossover like the Behringer.

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

There are two outputs per channel: high and low frequency (the labels below the jacks). Your speakers go on the high outputs. Ignore the "mid" label - that's for using the crossover in mono 3-way mode (hi/mid/low frequencies).

The DBX223 would require a Y connecter to combine two low freq outputs to the sub input. It's better if this is done inside the crossover like the Behringer.
Thanks again, that's great! So it looks like this is exactly the missing part in my system! The Behringer CX2310 also has a great price.

Are there any drawbacks? could it degrade the sound quality of my main speakers?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any drawbacks? could it degrade the sound quality of my main speakers?
Any device inserted to the signal chain has the potential to degrade the sound quality. How much is to do with the device inserted and the devices that you already have. We don’t know them hence we can’t comment further.

Zapper

Thanks again, that's great! So it looks like this is exactly the missing part in my system! The Behringer CX2310 also has a great price.

The main drawbacks are more boxes and wires. The main potential sonic drawback is more noise. The Behringer's 95dB SNR is plenty good for CD quality music. If you are into high res music and have a 120dB SNR DAC, then this will be a limiting factor. However, your speakers don't even list a SNR or noise spec, so I'm guessing the speakers are the limiting factor, probably by a lot.

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

The main drawbacks are more boxes and wires. The main potential sonic drawback is more noise. The Behringer's 95dB SNR is plenty good for CD quality music. If you are into high res music and have a 120dB SNR DAC, then this will be a limiting factor. However, your speakers don't even list a SNR or noise spec, so I'm guessing the speakers are the limiting factor, probably by a lot.
Thanks for all your help!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it should work. Set the crossover frequency of both channels to the same frequency as the sub woofer, connect the speakers to the high outputs and the sub to the sub output.
It will introduce some noise but whether that is audible depends on how sensitive your speakers are. If they have volume controls set them as low as possible and compensate by a higher volume setting of the preamp.

It will also introduce distortion but I'm sure your speakers distort more and anyway the sound with sub and a little more distortion will be much better than without both.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for the records: If you buy a sub which has such a crossover built in you spare this additional crossover and the cables. Such a sub will be more expensive but probably not by the same amount. The JBL LSR310 is such an example.

Top Bottom