• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I add a HT/regular subwoofer to powered speakers?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good solution though limited with a fixed crossover frequency.
My much more expensive Genelec 7060b also has a fixed crossover frequency.

However there is nothing wrong with it. Go higher and you may be able to locate the sub, go lower and you put more load on the sats which is detrimental for good SQ (higher IMD).

neRok

If your source is a Windows PC, you can use the "free" program VoiceMeeter Banana to output audio on 2 devices at once. This way you can continue using your D10 to send signal to your speakers, and you can use PC sound card output to send signal to your subwoofer. VM-B has gain, delay, and basic crossover EQ functionality, or you can use Equaliser APO for even more advanced control. I ran my 2.1 system like this for a while, but unfortunately my subwoofer would pick up noise from the PC (it would hum at 50Hz), so I eventually got a multi-channel interface to handle all DAC signals.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems you just made a poor choice before asking....

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

If your source is a Windows PC, you can use the "free" program VoiceMeeter Banana to output audio on 2 devices at once. This way you can continue using your D10 to send signal to your speakers, and you can use PC sound card output to send signal to your subwoofer. VM-B has gain, delay, and basic crossover EQ functionality, or you can use Equaliser APO for even more advanced control. I ran my 2.1 system like this for a while, but unfortunately my subwoofer would pick up noise from the PC (it would hum at 50Hz), so I eventually got a multi-channel interface to handle all DAC signals.
This is brilliant! Had no idea this exists. This is a zero cost zero mess solution. I have another DAC, I can use it for the subwoofer. Thank you! Going to try this now

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you note any synchronisation problems? Feeding one external DAC per USB and an internal one I would expect that both DACs use their own clock, and if the speed of both clocks is not perfectly equal sooner or later they must get out of sync.

Last edited:

neRok

Did you note any synchronisation problems? Feeding one external DAC per USB and an internal one I would expect that both DACs use their own clock, and if the speed of both clocks is not perfectly equal sooner or later they must get out of sync.
I don't know. It might be a problem, but it might not be too. Here's a few of my thoughts on it;
1) Regardless of sync issues, there could be different delays between the devices due to drivers, hardware, buffers, etc. And it's possible these delays are not consistent.
2) How much drift is really possible per hour, considering both devices are trying to play as accurately as possible? If a DAC drifted terribly, wouldn't watching a long video make it out of sync by the end? I've not experienced that on any device connected to my PC, so I presume the timing tolerance is very small.
3) Subwoofers already have delay, and in ported subwoofers the delay increases near the porting frequency. Is any DAC drift worse than this delay?
4) Following from 3, apparently our hearing is quite forgiving to timing delays in the bass and sub bass region. So even if the sync does drift, does it matter?
5) I asked myself the same question about sync issues when I first tried this setup, and a google search revealed that (apparently) if you stop and start the audio playback on occasion, that is enough to "reset" the sync.
So yer, maybe not a big issue. And if the choice is no subwoofer or a subwoofer who's sync may drift slightly, I'm choosing to have the subwoofer.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@neRok: You have a valid point with (2), and (5) is correct.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DBX223 would require a Y connecter to combine two low freq outputs to the sub input. It's better if this is done inside the crossover like the Behringer.

That is not correct. I had one and while the labeling is confusing, this is how it is done:
223xs for sub.jpg

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Thanks for the correction.

FWIW, I was considering buying the Behringer before I found a "mint" used 223xs for sale locally. When I read the Behringer manual online and looked at the back panel pictures, I was more confused about how to use it for a simple 2.1 crossover than I was by the 223xs manual. Neither manual is a model of clarity.

SuicideSquid

There are a lot of complicated solutions being offered in this thread.

A much more simple solution is to upgrade your DAC to another model that is only slightly more expensive than the Topping and has both balanced and unbalanced outputs, or a sub out. For example, the SMSL DO100 - you can run the balanced outs to your speakers, and the unbalanced RCA outs to the sub. This is going to be the simplest solution and won't involve any weird hacks or extra boxes (and it's certainly going to be cheaper and easier than adding a dbx or MiniDSP active crossover - that's massive overkill). If you can sell your Topping DAC for pretty close to what you paid for it, this going to be the most cost-effective solution, too.

MadMaxx

A much more simple solution is to upgrade your DAC to another model that is only slightly more expensive than the Topping and has both balanced and unbalanced outputs, or a sub out. For example, the SMSL DO100 - you can run the balanced outs to your speakers, and the unbalanced RCA outs to the sub. This is going to be the simplest solution and won't involve any weird hacks or extra boxes (and it's certainly going to be cheaper and easier than adding a dbx or MiniDSP active crossover - that's massive overkill). If you can sell your Topping DAC for pretty close to what you paid for it, this going to be the most cost-effective solution, too.
That’s exactly how I set up my system with a Topping E70 Velvet.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for the records: If you buy a sub which has such a crossover built in you spare this additional crossover and the cables. Such a sub will be more expensive but probably not by the same amount. The JBL LSR310 is such an example.
How can you then achieve the 80Hz HP the OP wants?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What about the crossover that the OP wants?

SuicideSquid

What about the crossover that the OP wants?
You can quote multiple posts in a single reply to avoid doubling up.

There's no perfect solution to what the OP wants. My suggestion is the least expensive to get most of the way there. If you want to also incorporate a crossover, the most elegant solution is to step up to a DAC/Preamp that has a dedicated sub-out and crossover built in.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can quote multiple posts in a single reply to avoid doubling up.

There's no perfect solution to what the OP wants. My suggestion is the least expensive to get most of the way there. If you want to also incorporate a crossover, the most elegant solution is to step up to a DAC/Preamp that has a dedicated sub-out and crossover built in.
There are perfect solutions. The OP was offered solutions that are perfect. He rejected for price and size.

SuicideSquid

There are perfect solutions. The OP was offered solutions that are perfect. He rejected for price and size.
What is your point? We agree there is no perfect solution in the budget the OP has asked for. The solution I offered does most of what the OP wanted at a reasonable price. No, it does not address the active crossover request but as you yourself have noted there is no solution that does everything at the price the OP has requested. So again, what's your point?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your point? We agree there is no perfect solution in the budget the OP has asked for. The solution I offered does most of what the OP wanted at a reasonable price. No, it does not address the active crossover request but as you yourself have noted there is no solution that does everything at the price the OP has requested. So again, what's your point?
My point is there are solutions on the market. If you open your eyes you will see them. Some examples are below and they are at a reasonable price.

Including one tested here.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You feed the fullrange signal to the sub, and the highpassed signal from the sub to the active sats. I do this with a Genelec 8060b and a pair of K&H O300D.

Top Bottom