• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the proper setup when hooking up powered monitors to receiver?

King_Pin

Equipment:
Receiver - Denon x4500h
Left/Right - Kali IN-8 V2
Sub - Temblor T10

Setup currently:
Front Left/Right preouts from receiver (RCA) out to Subwoofer Inputs (RCA) out from Subwoofer XLR to Front Left/Right XLR

I was forced to move and had to downgrade my HT setup so I sold all my speakers/amps except for my receiver.
Should I setup the lowpass and highpass filter on the sub or should I shut them off and run things from the receiver?
I can shut off the HPF on the sub the LPF I would open.
Of course I could always run the sub and speakers separately from the receiver I just don't have any RCA to XLR cables right now.

edit: thinking a bit more on this maybe I should do the opposite and not restrict anything out of the receiver and use the LPF/HPF settings on the sub.

Kali IN8 V2.jpg
temblor t10.JPG

Last edited:

palm

I had a similar dilemma in my previous setup.
Usually the slopes of the crossover implemented in the receiver aren't as steep as those implemented in a subwoofer intended for home studio.
I guess the choice between setting up front speakers as large and using the sub crossover vs. connecting them directly on the pre-outs and using the receiver bass management is ultimately a matter of priorities between your hifi vs. home theater use, and if you added the sub to extend the low frequencies, to increase SPL, or to optimize the in-room response searching for the best sub location.
My sub has a separate input for LFE so it's slightly more flexible but sending both the LFE content and the LF of the front speakers probably requires some care especially with delays applied if the distance between the sub and the front is high?

Top Bottom