• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

White vs Pink? A vs C? What to use for level balancing?

elshaddai

First things first - I don't have a frequency test mic/software, so I'm just using a mobile app to analyze the SPL in my room. Goal is to generally balance my subwoofer output level with the levels from my speakers in a way that is objectively more meaningful than "it sounds good".

Audio flow is preamp > sub Line In > sub Line Out (w/HPF) > power amp > speakers. This has an advantage of also allowing me use the amp and preamp volume controls to adjust the relative speaker and sub levels without having to touch the sub unless it's completely out of wack.

In the app (AudioTool for Android) I have the option of using an A-weighted line, C-weighted, X Curve, or Flat. Am I correct in using C-weight to get the best inclusion of sub-bass frequencies? Is Flat the same as Z-weighted I've seen referenced elsewhere?

For my test audio, is it best to use white noise or pink noise? Pink emphasizes the lower frequencies, correct? Whereas white is consistent power over all frequencies? Would Pink + a C curve favor too much bass?

White noise + C-weighted curve example:

Screenshot_20240313-175230.png

levimax

Major Contributor
Flat and Pink noise. I am skeptical that a cell phone Mic is accurate enough at either high or low frequencies to help much unfortuneately.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You should use Flat (Z-weighting) with Pink Noise.

Use the highest octave resolution that you can, and experiment with using Averaging with the Moving Microphone Method.

The result should be a slightly bass tilted curve, roughly -5dB from 100Hz to 10kHz.

OP
elshaddai

elshaddai

Flat and Pink noise. I am skeptical that a cell phone Mic is accurate enough at either high or low frequencies to help much unfortuneately.
Thank you for the direction - understood about the cell phone mic limitations. For now, a sledgehammer will have to do... lol.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Use whatever best matches what the speakers will be outputting. If these speakers will be crossed to subs, I use pink noise but turn the subs off so the crossover is in effect.

But that's for a different purpose (Atmos). It looks like you are trying to level-match speakers to subs. You don't really level-match them per se; the correct sub volume is found with both subs and speakers playing and taking measurements of the combined response. And, most importantly, listening to music.

OP
elshaddai

elshaddai

You should use Flat (Z-weighting) with Pink Noise.

Use the highest octave resolution that you can, and experiment with using Averaging with the Moving Microphone Method.

The result should be a slightly bass tilted curve, roughly -5dB from 100Hz to 10kHz.
I appreciate the insight - thank you. I can go up to 1/12 octave. I'll keep experimenting and read up on those options.

Screenshot_20240313-190454.png

OP
elshaddai

elshaddai

Use whatever best matches what the speakers will be outputting. If these speakers will be crossed to subs, I use pink noise but turn the subs off so the crossover is in effect.

But that's for a different purpose (Atmos). It looks like you are trying to level-match speakers to subs. You don't really level-match them per se; the correct sub volume is found with both subs and speakers playing and taking measurements of the combined response. And, most importantly, listening to music.
Yes, I'm trying to measure the overall system response and just get a feel for what sub level is consistent with everything else. I've never really tried to integrate speakers and a sub before more than plug-and-play, so trying to attach some numbers to what my ears are hearing. But as you say, it's time to listen to some music now.

Top Bottom