• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
BTW, annoying the fact that there is no more HDMI port on the front which was very convenient when taking measurements with REW. I had to install a cheap HDMI switch in front of my rack to plug my MacBook Pro over HDMI. Those with receivers on a rack, make sure to get a HDMI switcher available before putting the receiver in the rack. Reroute AUX 1 HDMI Input to the switcher and plug your laptop into the switcher if you don't have easy access to the back of the receiver.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Just got the Dirac Live license, ran first Dirac Live calibration (9 points because is in my bedroom setup) and calibration ran without a single issue, like perfectly smooth. Switching between Audyssey and Dirac while listening to music is literally shocking. No kidding, it's NIGHT and DAY difference. I'm already contemplating putting for sale my Living room X4700H and getting a second X4800H. I have Dirac Live in my office desk with a miniDSP FLEX TRS and Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer so I knew what to expect but switching on the fly between Audyssey and Dirac that's another history.
How much effort did you put into the Audyssey calibration? I have both available in my media room, and an extra hour spent with the MultiEQ app and Ratbuddyssey brings Audyssey up to the same level. (Of course, everyone's bass situation is different. )

mattsrs

BTW, annoying the fact that there is no more HDMI port on the front which was very convenient when taking measurements with REW. I had to install a cheap HDMI switch in from of my rack to plug my MacBook Pro over HDMI. Those with receivers on a rack, make sure to get a HDMI switcher available before putting the receiver in the rack. Reroute AUX 1 HDMI Input to the switcher and plug your laptop into the switcher if you don't have easy access to the back of the receiver.

Have you tried Airplay from macbook to Apple tv instead of hdmi cable for rew?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
How much effort did you put into the Audyssey calibration? I have both available in my media room, and an extra hour spent with the MultiEQ app and Ratbuddyssey brings Audyssey up to the same level. (Of course, everyone's bass situation is different. )

Comparison was done with both, Dirac and Audyssey with their standard target curves. The only change I did with the Audyssey app was turning OFF mid range compensation for all the speakers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am how ever adding Atmos so I will have a 7.2.4 setup when I move in about a month from now. I had 7.1 in the old setup. The Atmos should help with the effects!
I'm betting you'll love it. ;)
I have Dirac Live in my office desk with a miniDSP FLEX TRS and Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer so I knew what to expect but switching on the fly between Audyssey and Dirac that's another history.
These types of comparing are going to be awful iffy.
The nature of both beasts is to alter near everything about each channels response.
Of course they're going to sound different, that would be expected.
Which is actually better could be a very complicated thing to deduce.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Just got the Dirac Live license, ran first Dirac Live calibration (9 points because is in my bedroom setup) and calibration ran without a single issue, like perfectly smooth. Switching between Audyssey and Dirac while listening to music is literally shocking. No kidding, it's NIGHT and DAY difference. I'm already contemplating putting for sale my Living room X4700H and getting a second X4800H. I have Dirac Live in my office desk with a miniDSP FLEX TRS and Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer so I knew what to expect but switching on the fly between Audyssey and Dirac that's another history.
Have you checked levels externally? (obvious things I know!) - just to be sure that psycho-acoustics aren't doing nasty things...

Need to be sure that actual levels at MLP are the same with both configurations, and then you should also check the target curves, that they are matched, as the defaults are different.

Not that I disagree with you, my completely subjective reaction to comparing Audyssey vs Dirac when I swapped over was pretty much the same. (and no, I did not do fully calibrated and instrumented measurements.... I listened to music, and movies, then switched over, listened to the same selections and then switched back and did it again.... - not having an AVR that could do both, it was a more lengthy process switching over!)

Rockman2

Comparison was done with both, Dirac and Audyssey with their standard target curves. The only change I did with the Audyssey app was turning OFF mid range compensation for all the speakers.

Sorry if I missed it but did you use the Mic that came with the unit, or buy a better one?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Sorry if I missed it but did you use the Mic that came with the unit, or buy a better one?
You can’t run Dirac with the mic that comes with the Denon because that’s an Audyssey mic. I did use a miniDSP UMIK-2 mic calibrated by CSL.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You can’t run Dirac with the mic that comes with the Denon because that’s an Audyssey mic. I did use a miniDSP UMIK-2 mic calibrated by CSL.
in theory... if you had an external calibration file for the Audyssey mic... and used a 3.5mm mic input on a PC...

Someone out there must have developed a calibration file for these ubiquitous Audyssey mics surely?!

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really there is that much of a difference between the two calibrations? I’m on the fence and it’s a lot on money in Canada. $150-$175 for the mic and close to $500 CAD for Dirac.
Personally, I like the new Audyssey more. It's the $200 version. But I think people have very good luck with the $20 mobile app.

sask15

tjcinnamon, thanks I might as you say just go for that windows $200 version and maybe the calibrated Audyssey mic. Honestly sometimes I think my system just sounds better without any of the Audyssey or anything added. Will wait for more feedback and more comparisons of the two before deciding. Thanks again.

Rockman2

Exciting and trying time for you. Waiting on a home to be built has excitement and stress. I am adding Atmos and looking to go 7.3.4. Old set-up was 5.2. without Room Correction.
Sounds like you have been through this before! But looking forward to hooking everything up!
Learning curve ahead for me. Part of the decision for the 4800 was to have the latest On-Boards like Dirac and a proven performer with the Denon products. I've owned Denon for many years and mostly they have been outstanding with performance features and reliability.

No regrets so far with the 4800, I really like the user experience with the new GUI and the flexibility of adjustments overall. It's fun just playing with 2.2 now with Sub controls to dial in different capabilities offered with the 4800. I think it will be a great experience to own and play with often.

Good Luck with your home! I will post my HT journey along the way.
There were a number of reasons I went with the 4800 as I needed an AVR regardless. The new GUI you mentioned and the ability to turn off selected amp channels and use the pre outs. Again just hoping the sound matches the features. And by the way mine does show three year warranty on the box which was discussed in a previous post.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
tjcinnamon, thanks I might as you say just go for that windows $200 version and maybe the calibrated Audyssey mic. Honestly sometimes I think my system just sounds better without any of the Audyssey or anything added. Will wait for more feedback and more comparisons of the two before deciding. Thanks again.
I always found my system better without audyssey than with - particularly for music, movies I was always ambivalent as Dynamic EQ was often useful.

With Dirac on the other hand I have it on at all times, and that's how it sounds best.

bungle

Reroute AUX 1 HDMI Input to the switcher and plug your laptop into the switcher if you don't have easy access to the back of the receiver.
Or just have long enough HDMI cable plugged in back that you can easily pull to laptop. I agree front port is convenient.

FrankieD

Did you have to make any manual changes to setting after the Dirac calibration like what was needed to be done with Audyssey, (mid range compensation, sub volume changes etc)?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Did you have to make any manual changes to setting after the Dirac calibration like what was needed to be done with Audyssey, (mid range compensation, sub volume changes etc)?

In my case, no. After Dirac, everything sounds good to me. No need to increase the subwoofer level like I always do after Audyssey. Crossovers have to be set before Dirac calibration. Delays on Dirac are shown in milliseconds, not distance. There is no mid range compensation in Dirac.

PHD

Dirac and Audyssey resulting speaker level settings are different. Audyssey had the front top speaker at +2dB compared to the left top speaker, but Dirac has it at -1dB compared to the other channel... What am I supposed to do, take an average?

jbattman1016

I always found my system better without audyssey than with - particularly for music, movies I was always ambivalent as Dynamic EQ was often useful.

With Dirac on the other hand I have it on at all times, and that's how it sounds best.
On my system, I need audyssey to help my sub blend better with the rest of the system. Without it my sub does all sorts od dumb things due to my poor placement.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On my system, I need audyssey to help my sub blend better with the rest of the system. Without it my sub does all sorts od dumb things due to my poor placement.
Same. I’m not sure how hot I run my subs because the vast majority of them are nearfield but because of their proximity to me they are about 20dB hot or more.

DEQ blends the surrounds much better for me.

It’s a matter of taste but using MQX my response is darn flat and my decay is very good. I’m basically at 300ms flat

Top Bottom