• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room EQ and subwoofer management hardware: Anti-Mode X2 by DSPEAKER

Hellasärö

Some more measurements. Here's comparing dualcore max calibration (500hz) on subs with 8033s-II, crossing over at 150hz to mains. Dualcore was calibrated with "dual mono subs" alternative. Not much difference between the two in this setup. 8033 extends the response a bit lower.

Next I will try doing global (mains+sub) correction with dualcore and comparing it to subs 8033 corrected.

REW measurements are L+R.

Attachments

• Dualcore (max calibration) vs 8033s-II.jpg
    Dualcore (max calibration) vs 8033s-II.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Hellasärö

Here's Dualcore calibration mains+subs (<200hz) vs 8033. Max (500hz) calibration didn't work well and caused a dip in the crossover region.

Dualcore is connected with usb-cable to computer and then from dualcore's optical out to amplifier. This way unnecessary AD/DA is avoided and SINAD not an issue.

Not a big difference here either. In this room/setup, one 8033s-II does a good job.

Tomorrow I will test what X2 can do in this setup.

Attachments

• Dualcore (mains+sub <200hz) vs 8033.jpg
    Dualcore (mains+sub <200hz) vs 8033.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 84

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sent an email to DSpeaker support to ask about the input sample rate via USB. Here is the reply, to which I have responded with further questions. Indented part is a snip from my original email that the reply included. See my further comments below...

1674754104853.png

That reply seems to ignore the fact that Foobar allows me to use WASAPI Exclusive without limitation on sample rate for any other USB device I have ever used. Who in the world wants to listen to notifications and system sounds in the middle of a serious listening session? That's why I use the internal DAC in my PC for the small speakers next to my monitor, using DirectSound, and a separate DAC via WASAPI for my large system or headphone rig.

I've also never seen any USB audio device fail to show up as available under WASAPI in Foobar.

Bizarre.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Further reply from DSpeaker re 44.1 kHz support over USB. I do grasp that this is supposed to be the simplest possible "plug in, configure take one measurement, and you're done" device for room correction, but I would think that most users savvy enough to attach one to a PC would be using WASAPI to bypass Windows Audio and thus find it odd that support for 44.1 is not native.
1674761036459.png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Forgot to emphasize in the above post that he confirmed native 44.1 kHz support over USB isn't a hardware limitation. I suggested in reply that adding it to the update that also provides adjustment of the sub crossover frequency might be a great idea. Will post his reply when received.

The easy availability of tone control on this unit is a big advantage for me. There are way too many pop/rock recordings in my collection that are just too bright versus properly recorded classical/jazz/acoustic recordings. My first "real" preamp back in the day was an Apt Holman, which had a truly useful treble control.

Hellasärö

Forgot to emphasize in the above post that he confirmed native 44.1 kHz support over USB isn't a hardware limitation. I suggested in reply that adding it to the update that also provides adjustment of the sub crossover frequency might be a great idea. Will post his reply when received.

The easy availability of tone control on this unit is a big advantage for me. There are way too many pop/rock recordings in my collection that are just too bright versus properly recorded classical/jazz/acoustic recordings. My first "real" preamp back in the day was an Apt Holman, which had a truly useful treble control.
What I understand, it's in the making.

And I also like the quick tilt-controls. I am also very sensitive to top end brightness.

Hellasärö

Here's X2 vs 8033. X2 is 2.0 (mains+subs) corrected, not 2.1, because I don't have the speakers or amps to test 2.1 correction with X2. I also did combined X2+8033 correction, because this is what the X2 is capable of. This produced the most linear response.

If i have the time during the weekend I will test X2 on subwoofers only.

Attachments

• 8033 vs X2.jpg
    8033 vs X2.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 156
  • X2+8033 corrected vs uncorrected.jpg
    X2+8033 corrected vs uncorrected.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 151
  • X2+8033 vs Uncorrected.jpg
    X2+8033 vs Uncorrected.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 146

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Reply regarding the firmware, sample rate, etc.:

Yes, the upcoming firmware is currently in testing. There are a lot of new things in there, so polishing is still being done.

Fortunately adding 44.1k / 88.2k to the available rates on USB only affects the input processor and doesn't interact with any of the other changes.

If there's need and demand, we try to support reasonable feature requests. We can't really think of everything, so feedback is appreciated.

Having a general idea what's required and it being written in the comments in the code was a good help. I now have code for the input processor that also plays 44.1k and 88.2k from USB. Needs a bit of testing and measurements for the change to be deemed successful without side effects.

Pasi Ojala, MSc (eng)
Head of DSPeaker Division http://www.dspeaker.com/

Paffi

I'm curious to see the different results between Dualcorem and X2 in correcting dual mono subs only. I'm currently thinking about replacing my ddrc24 with dirac with the x2.

Hellasärö

Here's Dualcore vs X2 correcting subs only.

Dualcore was calibrated as dual mono subs and compensation at minimum. With X2 I ran the calibration using the stereo main outs. Keep in mind that this isn't the X2's intended use, it is made for correcting main speakers+sub (2.0 or 2.1). Dualcore is made mainly for subwoofer correction, so no suprise that it's better here. But dualcore is worse at correcting speakers and can't do 2.1 correction like X2.

The peaking after 200hz is the dipole peak of my ripole subs.

Attachments

• Dualcore vs X2 Subs only.jpg
    Dualcore vs X2 Subs only.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Dualcore subs only.jpg
    Dualcore subs only.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 129

Paffi

The X2 will be able to do 0.2 and dual monosub correction soon (like the dualcore). It's already in betatesting. There is a new firmware going to be released, also enabling higher q-values for the PEQ (up to 5 instead of maximum Q of 2). It will also be able to configure the presets via Browser.

Hellasärö

Some more measurements with the ja antimode X2 in a different room. My brother got the X2 and one SVS SB-1000 sub. Speakers are Dynaudio audience 52SE.

Attachments

• X2+SVS corrected vs uncorrected.jpg
    X2+SVS corrected vs uncorrected.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

KxDx

What's the noise floor like when using analog in/analog out, with the X2 vs the Dual Core, for anyone who's used both?

I'm thinking about importing one and pitting it against the MiniDSP 22A in my living room.

Paffi

I´ve set up my Antimode X2 and compared it to my minidsp DDRC24 with DIRAC. Despite the simple measure procedure (only single point, not multipoint): The Antimode sounds way better with Music (to me).

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I´ve set up my Antimode X2 and compared it to my minidsp DDRC24 with DIRAC. Despite the simple measure procedure (only single point, not multipoint): The Antimode sounds way better with Music (to me).

I was surprised at the level of hiss with the DDRC-24. Is there any detectable hiss with your Antimode X2?

kma100

<NOTE - I HAVE A THREAD ON THIS BUT WILL DELETE IF THIS IS A BETTER PLACE FOR MY QUESTION BELOW>

I have an Anti-Mode X2 and I am having a lot of trouble setting it up. The instructions and small display make it really confusing. Here is my setup:

Bluesound Node -> Anti-Mode X2 -> Outlaw amp -> Revel F208
Rhythmk F15 connected to Anti-Mode X2 sub output

The signal stream is fine...I can play music. When I tried to set up the Room EQ, it goes through the speaker calibration but then shows a "SUB 21" with an arrow up sign. It not clear...does it mean the sub volume is too high? That I need to lower it on the sub itself, and then re-run? The instructions are very vague:
  1. Running the calibration
    •  Turn on the Anti-Mode X2 unit. Connect the microphone cable to the microphone input at the front panel. The unit enters the calibration mode automatically.
    •  +/- to choose the system configuration ”2.0” for stereo or ”2.1” for stereo with a subwoofer and press i .
    •  Noise starts playing and you can adjust the calibration volume using +/- . The volume setting is shown as a small bar at the top and the sound pressure level picked up by the microphone as a larger bar at the bottom. Adjust the level until the bottom bar reaches the vertical line on the left of the + sign, then start calibration with i .
    •  The calibration process performs several frequency sweeps. The number of sweeps depends on the chosen system configuration. After the calibration is finished, the display shows ”MIC v” to prompt you to remove the microphone.

This is driving me nuts, Any guidance? Is there a helpful video somewhere? Thanks!

tempImageaXLW43.jpg

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@kma100 I think it says +21, so probably it registers your sub output signal as way too low. Have you tried increasing gain on our sub to see if the number changes?

Paffi

Increase the gain of the sub by 21db and then re run (just unplug the mic). Will work just fine!

Top Bottom