• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile music player for Windows/Mac and your opinion...

What is the best audiophile music player for Windows and Mac in 2023?

• Total voters

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple Music. It plays my library as well as offering streaming tracks in Atmos, across all of the systems on our network.

Apple Music also doesn’t waste UI elements or resources to implement parametric EQ. I consider that feature a demerit not a virtue in a player software. A source player is a very stupid place to put EQ to calibrate a system (as opposed to tone controls that adjust the spectral balance of a given musical selection to taste - that can make sense in a player) because if you have either multiple sources or multiple systems you’re likely to often be using the wrong EQ).

stringham

JRiver, for management of a large classical library and for built-in EQ. But I do dread trying to do anything new with it, and having to wade through the forum for answers.
I forgot JRiver's WDM, which allows me to send Deezer (and anything else) through JRiver.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Currently choosing between Foobar and JRiver. Is it possible to get Foobar to display the same sort of Album View that JRiver gives - I like that (I'm shallow)

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apple Music. It plays my library as well as offering streaming tracks in Atmos, across all of the systems on our network.

Apple Music also doesn’t waste UI elements or resources to implement parametric EQ. I consider that feature a demerit not a virtue in a player software. A source player is a very stupid place to put EQ to calibrate a system (as opposed to tone controls that adjust the spectral balance of a given musical selection to taste - that can make sense in a player) because if you have either multiple sources or multiple systems you’re likely to often be using the wrong EQ).
Roon EQ is attached to the player. Every stream to a player gets its own EQ.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon EQ is attached to the player. Every stream to a player gets its own EQ.

I use system wide EQ (eAPO on Windows 11) because I want to apply the same EQ for my speakers, headphones or IEMs no matter what player i'm using (MusicBee, PlexAmp, Spotify, Chrome browser, etc.).

I've moved to the same model for mobile listening, I EQ on my Qudelix 5K and it doesn't matter what player i'm using on my phone or tablet (the exception being my Samsung Buds Pro/Live which are EQ'd in PowerAmp)

For me, EQing in a player only makes sense if the whole device is dedicated to hosting the player.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

What DSP does it have that Roon doesn’t. What library management functions? Volume leveling? Youtube streaming is needed inside my music server to me. I do get that others listen to a lot of music this way.
Is Roon capable of VST plugins?

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Currently choosing between Foobar and JRiver. Is it possible to get Foobar to display the same sort of Album View that JRiver gives - I like that (I'm shallow)
If you are trying Foobar 64-bit then currently you're out of luck...

tuskenraider

Old skool simple here.......Winamp with a WASAPI plug-in for output. Milkdrop visualization spinning on the 82" TV while sipping a beverage.

MAB

Major Contributor
I use JRiver. It seems to organize my tracks in a way that I find familiar. I'm not sure it is the best, but I like it.
I use external DSP.
My collection is mostly my CDs ripped to AIFF. With other stuff collected along the way. Quite a few titles.
I use Foobar occasionally.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I use JRiver. It seems to organize my tracks in a way that I find familiar. I'm not sure it is the best, but I like it.
I use external DSP.
My collection is mostly my CDs ripped to AIFF. With other stuff collected along the way. Quite a few titles.
I use Foobar occasionally.
Why not trying VSTs?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still wonder if "bit-perfect" is the last and only thing that any music player needs then why developers are bothering themselves to update/ upgrade their players? Why we are throwing our hard-earned money at them whenever they get updated? How could a music player deliver "better audio" when it's already doing "bit-perfect"? Why upgrade?
Bug eradication, OS compatibility, UI improvements, extra functionality… but not to increase data quality.

You are bothered with something you do not understand. Players do not affect sound quality. Codec and source does.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use system wide EQ (eAPO on Windows 11) because I want to apply the same EQ for my speakers, headphones or IEMs no matter what player i'm using (MusicBee, PlexAmp, Spotify, Chrome browser, etc.).

I've moved to the same model for mobile listening, I EQ on my Qudelix 5K and it doesn't matter what player i'm using on my phone or tablet (the exception being my Samsung Buds Pro/Live which are EQ'd in PowerAmp)

For me, EQing in a player only makes sense if the whole device is dedicated to hosting the player.
That’s not EQ then, not even tone control, you want to alter what producers gave you. That’s not a player function, at all.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom