• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

hmt

@Chromatischism @dlaloum

I explain filterability of systems more in detail in this post:

Nice findings :) I would think that at least dirac or trinnov will try to figure out what should be corrected and what doesn’t. Trinnov even gives you info about direct sound and reflections and has a parameter for the amount of reflections to by considered (cycles).

DerRoland

Masimo publish a new webinar video about the new receiver line:

Join Oliver Kriete, Product Manager Europe and the global Sound United Training team for a technical introduction of the brand new Denon AVC-X4800H. In this session we're walking you through all the new and upcoming extended capabilities.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Masimo publish a new webinar video about the new receiver line:

So now we know the $20 App can be used to dial in 4 subwoofers! He doesn't have measurements to show for the AVR-X4800H but will have in for the A1H in two weeks (from the date this video was shown I assume..).

chych7

Oh interesting, you can have "directional" bass now (16:30), haven't heard about that functionality. But bass below 100 Hz is pretty omnidirectional, so I wonder how useful that is.

$800 for a full Dirac upgrade is quite a bit.

bob5200

Full pricing chart.
Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 2.19.31 PM.jpg

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm not sure I understand this - if I have a 5.1 system, does full bandwidth not take care of the subwoofer? It says 20hz-20khz and I have the SVS3000 Micro and I don't care about anything under 20hz (if the sub gets there through room gain, then yippee!)

Is the bass control for 1 or more subs that drop under 20hz?

chych7

I'm not sure I understand this - if I have a 5.1 system, does full bandwidth not take care of the subwoofer? It says 20hz-20khz and I have the SVS3000 Micro and I don't care about anything under 20hz (if the sub gets there through room gain, then yippee!)

Is the bass control for 1 or more subs that drop under 20hz?

Full bandwidth should still work, but it would treat the sub as a continuation of the speaker. DLBC would also ensure phase coherency across multiple speakers (with its "all pass" crossover) to get better integration. Probably more worth it with multiple subs.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Full bandwidth should still work, but it would treat the sub as a continuation of the speaker. DLBC would also ensure phase coherency across multiple speakers (with its "all pass" crossover) to get better integration. Probably more worth it with multiple subs.
I believe DLBC also does a bit more fancy stuff in integrating full range speakers with subs....

While Dirac Live does a simpler "crossover" approach, and doesn't try to get fancy with directing Bass signal around between speakers and subs.

Hence DLBC single sub, still has value - primarily if you have full range speakers in your setup.

So YES - DL integrates the Sub - but at a basic level, and does not mess with the bass steering provided by the decoder/mixer

DLBC - provides more sophisticated integration between full range and subs allowing leverage of full system capabilities and can direct bass trafic from/to mains and sub(s) - in the multi sub version it can also adjust the multiple subs to better integrate them into the room.

DL-ART will take it further, and allows each Sub or full range speaker to also act as a "corrector" to cancel out flaws in the room (as per active noise cancelling systems)

multisport4me

I believe DLBC also does a bit more fancy stuff in integrating full range speakers with subs....

While Dirac Live does a simpler "crossover" approach, and doesn't try to get fancy with directing Bass signal around between speakers and subs.

Hence DLBC single sub, still has value - primarily if you have full range speakers in your setup.

So YES - DL integrates the Sub - but at a basic level, and does not mess with the bass steering provided by the decoder/mixer

DLBC - provides more sophisticated integration between full range and subs allowing leverage of full system capabilities and can direct bass trafic from/to mains and sub(s) - in the multi sub version it can also adjust the multiple subs to better integrate them into the room.

DL-ART will take it further, and allows each Sub or full range speaker to also act as a "corrector" to cancel out flaws in the room (as per active noise cancelling systems)
It does. DLBC works very well. I miss it already and is really my only gripe about the AV10 (which I love)....I have to wait 1.5-2 years before we'll see DLBC. FIngers crossed they deliver it early as a nice surprise.

There is a video of an Sound United rep being asked about ART and was totally non-commital. I think we need to set our expectations lower here as its possible ART may not be supported on these models. As we know, Storm has exclusivity this year so I suppose its possible SU can't even test it yet and won't until they get DLBC up and running first.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It does. DLBC works very well. I miss it already and is really my only gripe about the AV10 (which I love)....I have to wait 1.5-2 years before we'll see DLBC. FIngers crossed they deliver it early as a nice surprise.

There is a video of an Sound United rep being asked about ART and was totally non-commital. I think we need to set our expectations lower here as its possible ART may not be supported on these models. As we know, Storm has exclusivity this year so I suppose its possible SU can't even test it yet and won't until they get DLBC up and running first.
For those with X3800's the step up in total cost, of purchasing DLBC (or ART ?) - takes the whole AVR up to a different price category....

It makes perfect sense for the Flagship model(s?) - where the Dirac licences are a smaller proportion of the total cost.

But a year or 2 ago, the X3700 was around US$1200 I believe... (now substantially more @ US$1700 ) - the addition of a full multisub DLBC licence would be circa $800... taking the AVR price from $1700 to US$2500 - that is a big step up.

DL on its own would be very difficult to justify, given DL and Audyssey have very similar capabilities and Audyssey is already included.

DLBC.... yes it brings added value, but is it enough value for most of us? (who may already be stretching budgets for the base US$1700 !)

DL-ART being a complete paradigm shift to the table - it may be able to justify the additional $$ in a way that DLBC cannot...

It will be interesting to see Masimo's strategy going forward - especially if Onkyo extends its offerings into the DLBC / ART space /Pricerange

ban25

For those with X3800's the step up in total cost, of purchasing DLBC (or ART ?) - takes the whole AVR up to a different price category....

It makes perfect sense for the Flagship model(s?) - where the Dirac licences are a smaller proportion of the total cost.

But a year or 2 ago, the X3700 was around US$1200 I believe... (now substantially more @ US$1700 ) - the addition of a full multisub DLBC licence would be circa $800... taking the AVR price from $1700 to US$2500 - that is a big step up.

DL on its own would be very difficult to justify, given DL and Audyssey have very similar capabilities and Audyssey is already included.

DLBC.... yes it brings added value, but is it enough value for most of us? (who may already be stretching budgets for the base US$1700 !)

DL-ART being a complete paradigm shift to the table - it may be able to justify the additional $$ in a way that DLBC cannot...

It will be interesting to see Masimo's strategy going forward - especially if Onkyo extends its offerings into the DLBC / ART space /Pricerange
FWIW, when I purchased my X3700H a year ago almost exactly, it was already $1700 + tax. I'd have to check but the prices probably took off post AKM fire in 2021.

techsamurai

FWIW, when I purchased my X3700H a year ago almost exactly, it was already $1700 + tax. I'd have to check but the prices probably took off post AKM fire in 2021.
What HiFi lists the price at 1,000 pounds, $1,200.

ban25

What HiFi lists the price at 1,000 pounds, $1,200.

This review from December 2021 lists the price as $1499:

The original Audioholics review from June 2020 reports a list price of $1,199:

techsamurai

Absolutely and look at the newly announced Sony AZ5000ES. 43lbs, $2,200. Does anyone know how much power the Denon 6700h delivers into 5-7 channels continuous at 0.1% THD? It costs $3,300 so it better not deliver the same power or less than the 5000ES.

I hope the 5000 is a top-of-the-line AVR because that's the correct price point.

If the new 5000ES is as powerful as the old one, we're looking at 105 watts into 7 channels which is Marantz SR8015 territory so bye, bye Cinema 40 and Cinema 50. Even the Cinema 60 may struggle against the equally priced Sony 3000 that weighs 50% more. They also have 5 year warranties like Denon and Marantz used to.

techsamurai

This review from December 2021 lists the price as $1499:

The original Audioholics review from June 2020 reports a list price of $1,199:

Yeah, both Denon and Marantz have been horrible in their triple price hikes which affected the US market a lot more, if not exclusively.

ban25

Absolutely and look at the newly announced Sony AZ5000ES. 43lbs, $2,200. Does anyone know how much power the Denon 6700h delivers into 5-7 channels continuous at 0.1% THD? It costs $3,300 so it better not deliver the same power or less than the 5000ES.

I hope the 5000 is a top-of-the-line AVR because that's the correct price point.

If the new 5000ES is as powerful as the old one, we're looking at 105 watts into 7 channels which is Marantz SR8015 territory so bye, bye Cinema 40 and Cinema 50. Even the Cinema 60 may struggle against the equally priced Sony 3000 that weighs 50% more. They also have 5 year warranties like Denon and Marantz used to.
Sony states the following for the AZ5000ES:

130W + 130W 8ohms, 1kHz, 2ch, THD 0.9%

Whereas, Denon states the following for the X6700H:

140 watts per channel (8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, THD: 0.05%, 2 ch. driven)

And the current gen X4800H reports:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)125W

Honestly, it's no contest if these specs are accurate. Sony is doing themselves no favors quoting performance at 0.9% THD, 1 kHz only...

Last edited:

techsamurai

Sony states the following for the AZ5000ES:

130W + 130W 8ohms, 1kHz, 2ch, THD 0.9%

Whereas, Denon states the following for the X6700H:

140 watts per channel (8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, THD: 0.05%, 2 ch. driven)

And the current gen X4800H reports:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)125W

Honestly, it's no contest if these specs are accurate. Sony is doing themselves no favors quoting performance at 0.9% THD, 1 kHz only...

You mean no contest in favor of the Sony or the Denons? :)

Here's the old Sony 5000 vs the Denon 4200

Sony 5000
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 103.6 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 102.1 watts

Denon 4200
Five Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads:
0.1% distortion at 94.6 watts

Seven Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads
0.1% distortion at 76.8 watts

That's why I feel that the 6700h may lose - most Denons and Marantz AVRs seem to drop at 7 channels except for the Marantz 8015 and Denon 7200/8500 which drop less.

Here's the saddest part - check out the $800 Marantz SR5003's numbers:

It beats the 7000 series and probably the Cinema 40.

DerRoland

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the flagship AVR gains 2 fans (from 4 to 6), and 8 lbs transformer weight, and 50% more PS block capacitors! That, along with a second/or third, from the top of ESS Sabre's DAC IC, and XLR subwoofer outputs that can be re-assigned for use with the LCR channels. This could be a one box solution that can compete with separate AVC/Poweramp in terms of performance, not just convenience. Denon might actually be able to justify the price increase over the AVR-X8500HA based on the info provided on that webinar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom