• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 471 90.9%

• Total voters

respice finem

Major Contributor
For desktop usage the KH 310 is definitely on the big side, thus the various sizes of monitors offered from manufacturers.
Yes, and it's better to have them over the desk than on the desk :) because they're "landscape orientation only".
But there are enough good stands to do it. See here for example:

Sidenote: The KH 310A is a closed design, the KH 150 is BR.

kimmosto

Yes, room acoustics matter there a lot but I think this also a matter of personal preference, there is a significant percentage of listeners who like to immerse into the (suitable for that) recordings like in nearfield listening and for such a high direct sound percentage is necessary.
As I said, proper acoustics can provide very high and balanced (from LF to HF) acoustic resolution to far field such as 5 m without very high directivity. But it does not have weaknesses of near field listening. It's a bit provocative to say but claimed preference without actual experience about really competitive system is just self-deception.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said, proper acoustics can provide very high and balanced (from LF to HF) acoustic resolution to far field such as 5 m without very high directivity
In my experience you need extreme acoustic treatment to have similar immersion at high distances without high directivity which is not really really feasible nor affordable in most typical living rooms.

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes, and it's better to have them over the desk than on the desk :) because they're "landscape orientation only".
But there are enough good stands to do it. See here for example:

Sidenote: The KH 310A is a closed design, the KH 150 is BR.
Here is an older picture of my home office that is still mostly the same, apart from an upgrade on the audio interface side as well as headphones. As you can see there is not much more place for something bigger than the Genelec 8330A, but I do have a subwoofer under the desktop.

As for Neumann vs Genelec it essentially came down to DSP and room EQ that works without a hassle, but I've not tried the Neumann DSP solution and just going by what I read.

1670695674067.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
In my experience you need extreme acoustic treatment to have similar immersion at high distances without high directivity which is not really really feasible nor affordable in most typical living rooms.
Is there recommended minimum distance as Genelec's?

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A stellar performer. At what point will the era of separate components begin to die out? Feed this unit with a streaming device -- as simple as an RPi with AES out HAT -- and you are all set. By the stock photo I was a bit confused where the power supply and balanced XLR inputs were located on the unit. This photo shows them quite clearly:

1670696585992.png

Last edited:

Arc Acoustics

That is diffraction above XO range.
Well, I don't think so.
I assume the tweeter would have an off-axis peak around 3kHz in the horizontal plane due to its primitive baffle design, and that DI drop is intentionally filled by the directivity of the woofer.
So, because of the rest of the off-axis (vertical) response, the total DI shoots up, peaking at slightly higher than XO frequency, then back to the tweeter's directivity.
(You can see pretty symmetrical null in the vertical plane, which suggests the main cause is crossover and the distance between two drivers)
Directiva Spin.png

https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/speakers/ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker/ASR/asr/SPL Horizontal Normalized.html
https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/speakers/ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker/ASR/asr/SPL Vertical Normalized.html

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

D!sco

I'd love to see a teardown of one of these things, including the software. They're not cheap, but they make magic.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there recommended minimum distance as Genelec's?
As far as I understand, all two ways have a minimum listening distance, specified or not, below which the two directional sources are not blended and are individually identifiable, that is, not perceived as a single source. I understand this is one of the caveats coaxials tackle with.

Trell

Major Contributor
As far as I understand, all two ways have a minimum listening distance, specified or not, below which the two directional sources are not blended and are individually identifiable, that is, not perceived as a single source. I understand this is one of the caveats coaxials tackle with.

Indeed, you can sit real close with coaxials like the Genelecs. Both Genelec and Neumann manuals says what's the minimum recommended distance for listening, and I used that to choose the Genelec 8330 over the 8340 (apart from the physical bigger size of the 8340 in my setup).

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Maybe it was mentioned and I missed it, how are these in farfield? 12feet away (12'×24'+some added spaces room)In terms of output ability and overall strength above say 60hrz high passed to subwoofers.

Basically as a farfield DIY speaker design reference vs the JBL 708p set that I have been waiting on for awhile.

dtaylo1066

Does anyone know what the sampling rate capability is on this unit?

Top Bottom