• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So out of curiosity I ordered a pair as well, and so far I quite like them. I was a bit worried about comfort, but I find that the medium, narrow bore tips to fit my ears well. @MarcosCh, if I were to describe the surface of the silicone tips I'd say that they feel a bit like velvet, quite different from my AirPods Pro but not in an unpleasant way.

Another worry was the sound profile, and I found that to be good out of the box well. In my opinion though, the EQ by @Maiky76 improves things by extending the low end and making voices a bit less nasal sounding - I ignored the last two filters though as I can't hear any difference using them. But with that EQ applied I still find the sound a bit prone to sibilance, so I will try to put in a shelf filter or something going forward. I don't really mind the level of bass myself, even stock, it's just that some music simply has too much of it in the recording. Using Maikys EQ I find the overall sound levels to be similiar to my main stereo rig, and songs with bloated bass come across as bloated using the IEMs as they do on my stereo.

I do have a gripe, but I guess it isn't really the fault of these IEMs themselves, but rather that it is just how passive IEMs are. It has to do with the sensation of using them, the soundstage with music is literally between your ears and since they dig so far down low it feels like your head is pressurized when you listen to bass heavy music (try listening to some of the songs from this thread for example). My AirPods Pro (both v1 and v2) seem to work differently with bass heavy music, and don't give the same pressurising sensation. I don't know if this is because they don't dig as far down as the TCZ or if it has to do with the ANC, but I feel that the soundstage phenomenon is more or less the same between the two.

I don't mind though - I don't listen to music with synthetic bass that often, and the soundstage isn't really a problem for my use case which is gaming. A lot of games use HRTF so the soundstage doesn't feel closed in at all, in fact, playing games using these worked very well, the deep bass and crisp highs made me hear some things I haven't heard before in the games that I tried. For example, simply walking down a street in Cyberpunk 2077 was very immersive experience with a lot of ambient noise that simply sounded very real to me. I think that the TCZ are going to replace my HD600 cans that I've been using for this up until now.

Lastly, the packaging ("artwork" aside) and the IEMs themselves feel rather premium. If you had shown me the packaging without the prize I would have guessed the price to be a lot higher. Let's just hope that they don't break.

Definitely happy with the ~40 bucks I spent on these, just gotta buy a longer cable as I am not using these on the go.
I found these IEM's good for gaming too, using Virtual 7.1 Surround from Creative Soundblaster DAC, and like you I found them to not feel "closed in" at all for gaming, they worked really well to create a 3D soundscape within the gaming world - I was very surprised as I had previously expected good soundstage headphones to trump poorer soundstage IEM's when it comes to gaming - but nope they performed just as well as my best soundstage headphones that I use for gaming. (I decided I don't use IEM's though, this is the only IEM I've tried, they irritate my ears....but I enjoyed trialling the Crinacle Zero, I may use it occasionally - good sound for music too of course.).

patient_ot

Bought a set of these out of sheer curiosity to use as travel headphones for long train rides. I really wanted to like these btw.

Out of the box with no EQ I find them painfully hot in the treble to the point of them being unlistenable for me. I should mention I've grown accustomed to eq corrected headphones that are close to neutral after EQ.

My personal opinion only. No interest in arguing about it...

With the 7band parametric EQ suggested way at the beginning of the thread these are very decent. I did end up reducing the 20Hz band by half though. Jury is still out on comfort and whether I will return them.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought a set of these out of sheer curiosity to use as travel headphones for long train rides. I really wanted to like these btw.

Out of the box with no EQ I find them painfully hot in the treble to the point of them being unlistenable for me. I should mention I've grown accustomed to eq corrected headphones that are close to neutral after EQ.

My personal opinion only. No interest in arguing about it...

With the 7band parametric EQ suggested way at the beginning of the thread these are very decent. I did end up reducing the 20Hz band by half though. Jury is still out on comfort and whether I will return them.
I hate to see people have a bad experience, so if you have Wavelet on Android or something like Equalizer APO on a PC, hit the link in my sig and see if it helps. It will at least save you a lot of time. Can't help with comfort, though.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone listened to these?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110-180821_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110-180821_Firefox.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 98

oleg87

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this fella has done a measurement:
https://squig.link/?share=Truthear_Hexa,Truthear_Zero_(S2)

Could be just the ticket for people who find the Zero overly mid-scooped and shouty, as it seems tuned in exactly the opposite direction.

(Incidentally, if you apply Chromaticism's EQ to this Zero measurement, it lines up remarkably well with the Hexa :p)
View attachment 242540
That doesn't resemble my EQ below 1 kHz, and above 3 kHz it's a bit too hot. So I guess it only looks familiar between 1-3 kHz :D

I like seeing how it fits in the ear in the above video. Quite different than the Zero. If I hadn't spent so much time perfecting the sound of the Zero, I would give them a try.

Fregly

Could be just the ticket for people who find the Zero overly mid-scooped and shouty, as it seems tuned in exactly the opposite direction.

(Incidentally, if you apply Chromaticism's EQ to this Zero measurement, it lines up remarkably well with the Hexa :p)
View attachment 242540
He uses audiophile reviewer speak. Good tonality yet in comparison to the other sets apparently lesser in technicalities, whatever that is supposed to mean. It all can be explained with the differences in the graphs. I doubt the bass has "slower attack" or less incisive in the treble, or the drivers in one are somehow more special. More warmth in low mids and tamed highs is all it is.

Chyżwar

He uses audiophile reviewer speak. Good tonality yet in comparison to the other sets apparently lesser in technicalities, whatever that is supposed to mean. It all can be explained with the differences in the graphs. I doubt the bass has "slower attack" or less incisive in the treble, or the drivers in one are somehow more special. More warmth in low mids and tamed highs is all it is.

I don't think it's that simple. If you EQ the HD560s and the HD800 to the same curve, there are still differences between them. What graph will show you that the HD800 have a bigger soundstage? There are some things we don't know how to measure yet, I guess.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hexa should be easily an Aria and Kato killer. Impressive.

Fregly

I don't think it's that simple. If you EQ the HD560s and the HD800 to the same curve, there are still differences between them. What graph will show you that the HD800 have a bigger soundstage? There are some things we don't know how to measure yet, I guess.
Yes, I think there are more variables with overears than straight to the ear canal though.

itwasluck

I found these IEM's good for gaming too, using Virtual 7.1 Surround from Creative Soundblaster DAC, and like you I found them to not feel "closed in" at all for gaming, they worked really well to create a 3D soundscape within the gaming world - I was very surprised as I had previously expected good soundstage headphones to trump poorer soundstage IEM's when it comes to gaming - but nope they performed just as well as my best soundstage headphones that I use for gaming. (I decided I don't use IEM's though, this is the only IEM I've tried, they irritate my ears....but I enjoyed trialling the Crinacle Zero, I may use it occasionally - good sound for music too of course.).
These have amazing imaging which go hand in hand with gaming. I've been having a great experience with these and will now be recommending them to any newcomer. Due to the proximity to the Harmon Target, someone new would be able to make a more informed decision when moving to future IEMs/headphones based on their sound preferences.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They are excellent for voice meetings. I have been using them a lot for work in this last month.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hexa should be easily an Aria and Kato killer. Impressive.
Funny you should say that, I considered the Hexa and bought the Kato in the 11:11 sale as I had some reward points so ended up paying $130 which felt very good value. Time will tell if I did the right thing.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny you should say that, I considered the Hexa and bought the Kato in the 11:11 sale as I had some reward points so ended up paying $130 which felt very good value. Time will tell if I did the right thing.
I just got my Dusk and wondered if the Hexa might kill it but no, apparently Dusk is still a step above. But value wise, 3x the price, apparently no way.

isostasy

View attachment 242540
It looks too far reduced in the midrange for us Etymotic fans. For the price I'd be more tempted to try the Zero, which is a good Harman reference, and EQ the treble down a little if I didn't like it, than the Hexa, which looks like it lacks appropriate ear gain to begin with.

asrUser

Seems like the Hexa would be more comfortable than the Zero. I'll try them.

Top Bottom