• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI and DACs not evolving

OP
pau

pau

With properly done decoders included one could get phantom center, LFE etc. Possibly some fancy virtual surrounds, dynamic EQs Tone controls and so on. Of course with the main things (useability and the connectivity) provided via HDMI.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The usability gains, e.g. my daughter can pick Apple TV remote and press power button. This turns on my UST projector (it already works both on/off). It should turn my DAC on too (which doesn’t work), which in turn turns my active speakers on (works already with master slave power cord where dac is master). If DAC had eARC this would work. Lip sync would be perfect, and I possibly could get over 48 kHz/24bit soundtrack too (uncompressed). Similarly when she stops, she can push the power button and thats it. Also volume control/mute works directly from Apple TV remote (this I can get to work with Apple TV as it can learn ir codes). It is first world problem, but there is solution, and that is eARC.

I’m confused, are you saying this doesn’t work?

I do what you describe with an AppleTV, Okto dac8 pro and a HDMI to SPDIF extractor. AppleTV remote can turn on/off, mute and control volume on the Okto. Okto has a trigger which turns on amps (and will shut off amps after 10 minutes of inactivity). AppleTV remote can also turn my TV on/off via CEC. WAF is very high.

Is it just that your DAC lacks IR learning?

Michael

bungle

I’m confused, are you saying this doesn’t work?

I do what you describe with an AppleTV, Okto dac8 pro and a HDMI to SPDIF extractor. AppleTV remote can turn on, mute and control volume on the Okto. Okto has a trigger which turns on amps (and will shut off amps after 10 minutes of inactivity). AppleTV remote can also turn my TV on/off via CEC. WAF is very high.

Is it just that your DAC lacks IR learning?

Michael
Does oktodac have toslink sensing? Some have some don’t. Nothing standard.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn’t you just say downmix channels, or whatever there is in stereo mix. Don’t some LFE data get there already? And why would I want surround and height channels, if I don’t even have those speakers? I think most that adds to movie soundtrack outside stereo is LFE and center (which I don’t believe these stereo DAC start to support soon, turning them 3.1 mch DACs). For music the stereo contains it all (yes, cutting some corners here).
LFE is not included but surrounds are. Here are the formulas. Look for Stereo downmix settings.

bungle

It does have input sensing but can also be turned on via the AppleTV remote (which I assume is much more common).

Michael
Hmm. Apple TV has two options:
1. learn remote
2. volume control

i guess you must have used 1?

But that said, it only solves this with Apple TV, the HDMI offers more generic solution that doesn’t rely on ir-signals. Are you sure your apple remote turns okto on with ir?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. Apple TV has two options:
1. learn remote
2. volume control

i guess you must have used 1?

But that said, it only solves this with Apple TV, the HDMI offers more generic solution that doesn’t rely on ir-signals. Are you sure your apple remote turns okto on with ir?

Yes, option 1 using IR.

EDIT: At least I think so. It has been so long I don’t exactly remember. It definitely uses IR and I have mute, power on/off and volume control from the AppleTV remote but the Okto itself also has IR learning functionality. IIRC I programmed the Okto to recognize another remote (think I used a miniDSP one I had lying around) and then used some functionality within the AppleTV to learn the miniDSP remote but don’t remember what it was called exactly.

Michael

bungle

Okto itself also has IR learning functionality. IIRC I programmed the Okto to recognize another remote (think I used a miniDSP one I had lying around) and then used some functionality within the AppleTV to learn the miniDSP remote
Ok then I understand this better. With this combo you got it working. Again, HDMI offers something better, a standard. Yes it has its problems for sure . I would love to HDCP die and perhaps HDMI with it, but it feels a battle that you can only loose.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In other words, I don't know because I have not made the effort.

You know how it is Kal. Everyone today is entitled to have all the answers provided for them, at the drop of a hat, without doing any research themselves. ;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You know how it is Kal. Everyone today is entitled to have all the answers provided for them, at the drop of a hat, without doing any research themselves. ;)
Not really. @Kal Rubinson commented that HDMI licensing is very expensive - $$$$$$$$$ was his comment. To which I asked where he got the data as I expected an 'Industry Insider' would comment on a subject that he knows about. However, he replied that he doesn't have any data because he hasn't researched the subject. Then how can he know that it is very expensive?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Not really. @Kal Rubinson commented that HDMI licensing is very expensive - $$$$$$$$$ was his comment. To which I asked where he got the data as I expected an 'Industry Insider' would comment on a subject that he knows about. However, he replied that he doesn't have any data because he hasn't researched the subject. Then how can he know that it is very expensive?

Not having a go at you per se, just the universal expectation people seem to have these days for all the answers to be provided on a plate, with no effort expended.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not having a go at you per se, just the universal expectation people seem to have these days for all the answers to be provided on a plate, with no effort expended.
Thank you. I do agree with your sentiment and pay attention not to be that person.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they even provide a DAC/amp:

now we are talking. I expect others to follow.
Indeed. However, it’s a shame that the subwoofer output seems to be just a mono output with no LP filter and most importantly there is no HP option on the mains.

I expect the Chinese amplifier companies will soon be offering eARC.

bungle

Indeed. However, it’s a shame that the subwoofer output seems to be just a mono output with no LP filter and most importantly there is no HP option on the mains.

I expect the Chinese amplifier companies will soon be offering eARC.

Quoted from their manual, LPF can be set to any value (edit. on subwoofer end?)

Connecting A Subwoofer​

For deeper and more powerful bass, the subwoofer output allows you to directly connect a subwoofer from SVS or any other brand.

1. Locate the “LFE” input on your subwoofer and connect a standard RCA audio interconnect cable.
  2. Connect opposite end of cable to the “SUB Out” output on your Prime Wireless Pro SoundBase.
  3. Set the Low Pass Filter on the subwoofer to whatever crossover frequency the speaker manufacturer recommends. You can also use theSVS Subwoofer Matching Tool for recommended settings.
  4. Adjust the gain (volume) on the subwoofer to blend based on your personal preferences.
  5. You can also connect your subwoofer wirelessly to your Prime Wireless Pro SoundBase with an optional SVS SoundPath Tri-Band Audio Adaptor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quoted from their manual, LPF can be set to any value (edit. on subwoofer end?)

Connecting A Subwoofer​

For deeper and more powerful bass, the subwoofer output allows you to directly connect a subwoofer from SVS or any other brand.

1. Locate the “LFE” input on your subwoofer and connect a standard RCA audio interconnect cable.
  2. Connect opposite end of cable to the “SUB Out” output on your Prime Wireless Pro SoundBase.
  3. Set the Low Pass Filter on the subwoofer to whatever crossover frequency the speaker manufacturer recommends. You can also use theSVS Subwoofer Matching Tool for recommended settings.
  4. Adjust the gain (volume) on the subwoofer to blend based on your personal preferences.
  5. You can also connect your subwoofer wirelessly to your Prime Wireless Pro SoundBase with an optional SVS SoundPath Tri-Band Audio Adaptor
Notice the sentence: “Set the Low Pass Filter on the subwoofer” - not on the amplifier. Also, there’s no matching for the mains.

Top Bottom