• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly, and I hope so. Marantz will have a separate HT amp running class D, maybe they "borrowed" some technology.

I think that's the case, plus they will likely have fans too.

Blender

It is rumored and probably true that they switched to class D amplifier. Probably required for that number of channels and power
If so, this is good news for me, as it means 2-3 years from now we should have affordable 5.2.2 slimline AVRs. I would love an AVR that runs cool and fanless, half as tall, half as deep, and still 5.2.2 capable, for my living room.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
If so, this is good news for me, as it means 2-3 years from now we should have affordable 5.2.2 slimline AVRs. I would love an AVR that runs cool and fanless, half as tall, half as deep, and still 5.2.2 capable, for my living room.
Yes. I am not a fan of fans.

DrStranger

Imagine they pulled off a "Nintendo" with their AVR's hw & sw (or any other brand for that matter): instead of chasing top performance, they would inovate and release something smart and intuitive with resonable price.

I mean how many customers will use 15 speakers?
I'm looking forward to the 15 channels of processing of the A1H in the home theater. Though I'm not sure how many with 15 speakers will be using internal AVR amplification, though if the rumored Denon pre/pro for 2024 is just the A1H with balanced connection and the same feature set sans internal amplification, I would rather have the A1H so that when that finally gets dethroned it can be used to power the living room/master bedroom/outside zones where I wouldn't be using external amplification like in a home theater.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 3800 will resolve my multisub / Dirac wishes in an AV pre. I hope you will be able to power the internal amps off.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I mean how many customers will use 15 speakers? Or better yet, how many speakers can you fit in normal size room? If you have a dedicated theater room to fit all those speakers, it will have to be on a larger size, and depending on the type of speakers used, this AVR may not do the "best" job of powering them to THX reference levels.
Lots in the HT crowd. The thing many miss is the Euro folks wanting correct speaker layouts for both Atmos and Auro. You can get quite a few speakers overhead using 6 or 8" coaxials, etc.
But I do agree and I'm surprised that many would use a receiver over a pre-pro when thinking about heat, etc; issues. The receiver does offer a lot to config options though so I don't know.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Lots in the HT crowd. The thing many miss is the Euro folks wanting correct speaker layouts for both Atmos and Auro. You can get quite a few speakers overhead using 6 or 8" coaxials, etc.
But I do agree and I'm surprised that many would use a receiver over a pre-pro when thinking about heat, etc; issues. The receiver does offer a lot to config options though so I don't know.

The AVR has traditionally been a much cheaper option (using the pre-outs) over a dedicated preamp. The last time I bought an AVR there was a 3k price difference between the AVR option and the dedicated pre option for similar features. I agree could do without the heat (that's one of the reasons I hope you can turn the internal amps off).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I think a Hybrid option is optimal nowadays - getting enough channels and power into a single box is getting difficult - but getting enough power for surrounds and height is viable - and then using Pre-Out's for front L/C/R with decently beefy external power amps...

In the early days of "Dolby Surround" the Fosgate Dolby surround units had a grand total of 20W per rear channel.... and it was ample

Nowadays most midmarket receivers easily provide 70W+ per channel with all channels driven - which is light on for the Front, but plenty for the rest.

What would be of value, would be a switch from "hard" allocated channels, to "soft" allocated channels, so that you don't waste powered channels when using external amps for the front. - This seems to be starting to happen...

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I think a Hybrid option is optimal nowadays - getting enough channels and power into a single box is getting difficult - but getting enough power for surrounds and height is viable - and then using Pre-Out's for front L/C/R with decently beefy external power amps...

In the early days of "Dolby Surround" the Fosgate Dolby surround units had a grand total of 20W per rear channel.... and it was ample

Nowadays most midmarket receivers easily provide 70W+ per channel with all channels driven - which is light on for the Front, but plenty for the rest.

What would be of value, would be a switch from "hard" allocated channels, to "soft" allocated channels, so that you don't waste powered channels
I always thought Denon were a huge bargain for ab avr. I mean I got my 4400 xh for like 800 dollars. It had auro, Audyssey, room correction, ability to add additional amps and process up to 11.2. You add Dirac to this and you have a wonderful modern luxury.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone please explain to me why Denon is adding more internal amplifiers to the new upcoming flagship AVR? Who's demanding this? Market, customers?
Is this for bragging rights? I mean how many customers will use 15 speakers? Or better yet, how many speakers can you fit in normal size room?
9.4.6 is a very standard medium to large HT configuration. 16 channel processors are now the basic expectation for medium-serious HT, it would be very odd for Denon not to stay competitive with this. Real serious HT is 32 channel Trinnov of course.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I always thought Denon were a huge bargain for ab avr. I mean I got my 4400 xh for like 800 dollars. It had auro, Audyssey, room correction, ability to add additional amps and process up to 11.2. You add Dirac to this and you have a wonderful modern luxury.
Yes they are quite the bargain! - but it is not uncommon to need (want?) more power at the front, than is provided by an AVR when driving 7 or more channels (as opposed to the spec when driving 2 or 1 channel!) - but most of these AVR's have Pre-Outs, so it is not a major concern, those who need more, get an external amp to add to the setup, and the rest use it straight!

TheAVInsider

People have been asking for this for a while now, so I thought I'd share it here with all of you.

Marantz Cinema 50 remote control.

I've seen renders of the new Marantz remote before, so I already knew they going to be different than the Denon remote. This is welcome news and very exciting. I just didn't know what models were getting which remotes, or what features each offered. Seems like they are saving advanced backlighting for higher models like the Cinema 40. This one looks really good.

Attachments

• Marantz remote cinema 50.jpg
    Marantz remote cinema 50.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 130

DrStranger

People have been asking for this for a while now, so I thought I'd share it here with all of you.

Marantz Cinema 50 remote control.

I've seen renders of the new Marantz remote before, so I already knew they going to be different than the Denon remote. This is welcome news and very exciting. I just didn't know what models were getting which remotes, or what features each offered. Seems like they are saving advanced backlighting for higher models like the Cinema 40. This one looks really good.
Reminds me of the old Bang Lufsen remote .

N1ck

Unfortunately with a wonderfully luxurious price tag as well. Gone are the days of 800 Dollars for a new 4 series Denon.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Found the manual for the 3800

X3800

Edit: Wonder why there is no mention of DIRAC?

Interestingly absent but I do like this:

"Set “Assign Mode” to “Preamplifier” if connecting all channels to the Pre-out connectors using an external amplifier. (v p. 195) This stops operation of the internal power amplifier of this unit, reducing interference in the preamplifier created by the power amplifier"

-Matt-

In the settings menu of current AVC-X?700H models (under firmware) there is a mysterious "Add New Feature" option...

Screenshot_20220921-230214_Firefox.jpg

I don't suppose there is any hope that Dirac could be retroactively added via this mechanism?

If not, does anyone have any idea what other "New Feature" could be added?

Top Bottom