• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

DrStranger

In the settings menu of current AVC-X?700H models (under firmware) there is a mysterious "Add New Feature" option...

View attachment 232402

I don't suppose there is any hope that Dirac could be retroactively added via this mechanism?

If not, does anyone have any idea what other "New Feature" could be added?
You might be right, since they mention on the JAP site that it will be available later on.

edit: sorry, read too fast, you meant the x7xx series.

Last edited:

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
edit: sorry, read too fast, you meant the x7xx series.
Yes. Not sure how long that option has been in the menus, maybe it was even there in previous models?

Edit: Just checked and it was already there in the AVR-X4500H at least.

Has it ever been used by Denon? If so, what for? Was it perhaps related to the pro calibration kit? Or perhaps it was always there "just in case".

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Interestingly absent but I do like this:

"Set “Assign Mode” to “Preamplifier” if connecting all channels to the Pre-out connectors using an external amplifier. (v p. 195) This stops operation of the internal power amplifier of this unit, reducing interference in the preamplifier created by the power amplifier"
That's the same as in my X4700H.

"Set “Assign Mode” to “Pre Amplifier” if connecting all
channels to the Pre-out connectors using an external
amplifier. (v p. 232)
This stops operation of the internal power amplifier of this
unit, reducing interference in the pre amplifier created by the
power amplifier."
In the settings menu of current AVC-X?700H models (under firmware) there is a mysterious "Add New Feature" option...
Yes. Not sure how long that option has been in the menus, maybe it was even there in previous models?
It was in the menu of my Marantz 7703 pre/pro, and I used it to install the $200 Auro upgrade.
BTW, also in my Denon X4700H
It's a long time entry for upgrades.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 232402

I don't suppose there is any hope that Dirac could be retroactively added via this mechanism?
That would be the obvious method. It should be an upgrade coming in 2023. So no wonder there is no mention about it at the moment in the manual.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

View attachment 232402

If not, does anyone have any idea what other "New Feature" could be added?
Does SU have anything to gain from it?

With an AVR setup before hand for Dirac (like the current series) - it is built into the price - and it is a selling feature.

With the X3700, would people pay, say $100 for a feature upgrade to enable Dirac integration, before subsequently paying Dirac for their licence & software?

It would take a cooperation from SU and Dirac - unlikely I think? (also the X3700 processor is less powerful than the new one, which may or may not be an issue)

tjcinnamon

I think if they can fit Dirac in the 7 series they will. I’m sure Denon gets a cut of the Dirac sales. It’s a passive source of income. They can add it later to not canabilize 8 series

Masza

I doubt x700 series could be fitted with Dirac if it wasn't planned from the get-go.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The official Denon product pages are now up:
https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-x3800h (you can buy this now, but not the others)

I admit, I'm rather puzzled with what they've done with the X4800H. It has the same amplifier and preout counts as the 3800H, which is the same as before, but they've trickled Auro3D down to the 3800H now, and also removed the front HDMI port from 4800H, which was a nice convenience of the 4000-series for doing external(REW, etc) measurements.

As far as I can tell you're paying $800 USD more for... +20W better amplification and +1 rear HDMI port??? This makes very little sense to me, neither of these things are worth $800.

Can anyone else spot any other significant difference?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Still waiting for someone, anyone, to release a reasonably priced AVR with DIRAC and Class D amps...

Martin
It will happen... I think we are within 3-5 years for this, though. ...Unless Onkyo does it sooner, as they are most likely next up for a refresh.

DrStranger

The new feels more like a cough or a sneeze. They hardly mention DIRAC and they gave the 3800 MPEG-H that might become the standard for surround for digital tv broadcast, previously on 4700 and up. But what else is new and justifies the price increase except components price increase (if really that much)? Its way too much money for me at least. Crossing my fingers for the other brands to give some positive surprise, at least pricewise. The 4800 will be build in Japan and all below models in vietnam?

DrStranger

The official Denon product pages are now up:
https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-x3800h (you can buy this now, but not the others)

I admit, I'm rather puzzled with what they've done with the X4800H. It has the same amplifier and preout counts as the 3800H, which is the same as before, but they've trickled Auro3D down to the 3800H now, and also removed the front HDMI port from 4800H, which was a nice convenience of the 4000-series for doing external(REW, etc) measurements.

As far as I can tell you're paying $800 USD more for... +20W better amplification and +1 rear HDMI port??? This makes very little sense to me, neither of these things are worth $800.

Can anyone else spot any other significant difference?
Nope! :(

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon (Marantz too I assume..) must have listened, even the AVR-X3800H has the feature to disconnect each power amp channel individually. This is good news for those who don't want to use the preamp mode that is all or none, because they may want to use external amp for the LR, or LCR only.

Edit: Sorry, the manual is now available and what I said about the improved amp assign feature was false. I reported that because I read it from a seemingly reliable source but don't remember where it was, thought it was from one of Denon's.

Regardless, according to the manual, the power amp to pre out disconnect feature is only applicable to the FL, FR or the surround/heights. That is disappointing as it should have been easily enough for them to make a small change so the center channel can be disconnected too.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I was saying no to his question.
Agreed. ;)
For some reason, I thought perhaps the 3800 was maybe not going to be Dirac enabled; that those options were going to be reserved for the upper tier offerings. *shrugs Of course I cannot find where I saw that being the possibility. There is still a lot of questions I'm not seeing answered at this stage, though the new designes for D&M look promising.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
That's the same as in my X4700H.

"Set “Assign Mode” to “Pre Amplifier” if connecting all
channels to the Pre-out connectors using an external
amplifier. (v p. 232)
This stops operation of the internal power amplifier of this
unit, reducing interference in the pre amplifier created by the
power amplifier."

It was in the menu of my Marantz 7703 pre/pro, and I used it to install the $200 Auro upgrade.
BTW, also in my Denon X4700H
It's a long time entry for upgrades.

I didn't realise this was a current capability, now just need Dirac in there and I think my next upgrade is clear.

Do you use yours as a Pre? and if so, do you notice an improvement with the amps off?

Still waiting for someone, anyone, to release a reasonably priced AVR with DIRAC and Class D amps...

Martin

I would be fine with reasonably priced and Dirac, not even using the Amp! Almost down the MiniDSP route but then these appeared on the horizon....

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you use yours as a Pre? and if so, do you notice an improvement with the amps off?

Keep in mind that as mentioned many times before, with the power amps "off" (actually not off, but disconnected from the pre outs), SINAD or "On" won't make a difference in SINAD unless the pre out voltage is at or higher than about 1.5 Vrms. I think most people don't push the pre out voltage that high. For me, it would be well below 1 V most of the time even when I listen quite loud.

With pre out at 1 V, an amp that has 29 dB gain will output 100 W. At 1.5 V, it would be at 223 W already and that's for 8 ohm load.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Keep in mind that as mentioned many times before, with the power amps "off" (actually not off, but disconnected from the pre outs), SINAD or "On" won't make a difference in SINAD unless the pre out voltage is at or higher than about 1.5 Vrms. I think most people don't push the pre out voltage that high. For me, it would be well below 1 V most of the time even when I listen quite loud.

With pre out at 1 V, an amp that has 29 dB gain will output 100 W. At 1.5 V, it would be at 223 W already and that's for 8 ohm load.

I wouldn't know but I don't usually listen loud so probably not. I notice an improvement to sound quality when I use pure direct mode on my current AVR so maybe there are other internal impacts? I would be surprised if I could reliably hear a SINAD difference if the device is above 96dB, maybe lower.

Top Bottom