• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crutchfield said:
four discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups

I still would like to know if this means you can set individual PEQs for each channel using the MultEQ-X PC app or whether it's the same type of "discrete" previous Denons have.

That's probably also an indicator of whether or not DLBC support is possible.

(I do find it a little amusing that preorders are up before there is even a US product page, manual or any information about how the thing works lol. But I guess that's par for the course these days. Buy now before there are none left for 18 months!!!!)

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Dirac won’t be ready to go out of the box… no mention of DLBC. Timetable will be interesting to see when Dirac will be available in 2023 and if/when DLBC will be available.
  • future compatibility with optional Dirac Live® advanced speaker calibration system (coming soon in 2023; requires purchase of software license)
    • requires installation of Dirac Live software on a Mac or PC prior to calibration

DrStranger

Looks like Dirac won’t be ready to go out of the box… no mention of DLBC. Timetable will be interesting to see when Dirac will be available in 2023 and if/when DLBC will be available.
  • future compatibility with optional Dirac Live® advanced speaker calibration system (coming soon in 2023; requires purchase of software license)
    • requires installation of Dirac Live software on a Mac or PC prior to calibration
Yep, saw that too, I don’t really like the fact that you have to pay additionally for something they “advertise “ on the box that it has support for, no matter the fine print. If you buy the product for that much money it should be included, period .

dlaloum

Major Contributor
199$ for Dirac Live sounds like a reasonable price.
With Audyssey XT32 built in, and providing 99% of what Dirac does, for the $20 of the phone app....

Why would your average user shell out for Dirac?

And if its a sophisticated user with 4 subs - then its up around US$800 with the multi-sub DLBC.... which raises the price of the AVR substantially - still not great value!

BUT - if for your US$800 you received a paradigm changing feature like SRC (Spatial Room Correction) - then it starts to make sense

DrStranger

Personally, I have been waiting for the RZ70 or Integra equivalent with Spatial Room Correction.... without SRC, I can wait.
The unwise waiting feels like a test, if I wait maybe more models will come.. I am so desperate I am watching the used market too.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The unwise waiting feels like a test, if I wait maybe more models will come.. I am so desperate I am watching the used market too.
I had to get a new AVR after my old one smoked its HDMI board, and the other spare I had smoked its DSP board...

The Integra DRX 3.4 has filled the gap beautifully - but if something comes out with SRC, I'm pretty sure I can get most of what I paid for the Integra back... won't lose too much on the deal. (best case would be if an SRC upgrade were available for existing models like the 3.4 , but I fear that would be wishful thinking!)

kos999

22 Sept will be the presentation of the new Denon in Europe, do we have any info regarding DSP and Dac s ? How they will compare to anthem 70 or previous Denon models?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
22 Sept will be the presentation of the new Denon in Europe, do we have any info regarding DSP and Dac s ? How they will compare to anthem 70 or previous Denon models?
We won't know how they compare, until they are measured...

We already know that there are DAC's using the same chipsets that measure fantastically, and others that measure poorly - so it is all up to the implementation.

Hopefully, some embargoed top secret early stock is already being reviewed... with reviews to be published post announcement. (hopefully!)

Newman

Major Contributor
so it is all up to the implementation
That’s what I keep saying about so many things hifi: more important than materials used, more important than component specs, more important than general design principles… your happy or unhappy experience will live or die by the devil in the details of the implementation.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s what I keep saying about so many things hifi: more important than materials used, more important than component specs, more important than general design principles… your happy or unhappy experience will live or die by the devil in the details of the implementation.

Agreed in principle but I would also like to keep saying that if implementation is done so well, wouldn't it be much better to spend just a few dollars more on better parts? Why waste the talents of their design engineer who have such a good job in implementation on non SOTA parts? I am not talking about parts that cost a fortune (such as using oversized power transformers) but the relatively cheap items such as volume control, DAC and opamp ICs (chips).

For expensive "separates" such as preamp, integrated amps and/or prepros to use the cheaper ICs than that used in the $100 to $300 desktop DAC/headphone amps, it begs many questions, including the obvious one that is, are those manufacturers use implementation as excuse. That is, in actual fact, their implementation is not better but the real reason to use the cheaper parts, example (based on the Marantz AV8805A and likely the Denon AVR-X8500HA as well) using the Sabre ES9010K2M DAC chips instead of the ES9038Pro or at least the cheaper ES9026Pro, is to save a few dollars.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone please explain to me why Denon is adding more internal amplifiers to the new upcoming flagship AVR? Who's demanding this? Market, customers?
Is this for bragging rights? I mean how many customers will use 15 speakers? Or better yet, how many speakers can you fit in normal size room? If you have a dedicated theater room to fit all those speakers, it will have to be on a larger size, and depending on the type of speakers used, this AVR may not do the "best" job of powering them to THX reference levels.

Denon AVR-A1H

Features

• 8K and 4K/120 on all inputs and 2 outputs - total 7/3 HDMI
  • 15.4 channel surround sound support
  • 4 independent RCA and XLR subwoofer outputs
  • Supports up to 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos speaker layout
  • DTS:X Pro, Imax Enhanced, Auro 3D
  • HEOS Built-in, with WiFi and Bluetooth
  • Incredible configuration flexibility with 15.4 channel processing capability and Pre-Amplifier mode
  • Dirac Live Upgradability
  • New and modern HD GUI TV user interface for setup and daily use

Price: $6,499​

delta76

Major Contributor
A1H is their new flagship. You might underestimate how people build their home theatre. With Dolby Atmos it is really the more the merrier.

If the competitors have 16 channel processing, why would they not?

bo_knows

A1H is their new flagship. You might underestimate how people build their home theatre. With Dolby Atmos it is really the more the merrier.

If the competitors have 16 channel processing, why would they not?

As long as they can manage the heat and the performance from those internal amps, I guess, all will be good.

delta76

Major Contributor
It is rumored and probably true that they switched to class D amplifier. Probably required for that number of channels and power

bo_knows

It is rumored and probably true that they switched to class D amplifier. Probably required for that number of channels and power
Possibly, and I hope so. Marantz will have a separate HT amp running class D, maybe they "borrowed" some technology.

Top Bottom