• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are exactly the type of case why I wish they had made a better effort to start with. Now we are stuck with this as a design goal. It’s hard for the community to take you serious unless you conform and that means consumers are missing out. They could have made a neutral curve and then a preference curve based off that. Instead they went back to the early days of audio—mono—and started from there. There are some legit advantages to the approach. I mean when 2 humans speak to each other, they are mono a mono. Same goes for a girl with a guitar…. It’s just that most, if not all, recordings are mixed and mastered using stereo and so manipulated for the format. Still, mono instruments may actually do better Harmanized in a sense and people can actually prefer it. Life and headphone curves are a balancing act. Just conform and everyone will like you. ;)
If Mad_Economist comes back to you on the other post I'll let him take this up with you, as I'm not sure this is the actual case re your mono comments, as that wasn't my understanding of how it was created, but I'll let him take that up with you to either confirm what you're saying or to show the differences.
EDIT: trawling the depths of my memory, I have a hunch that if they did just use one speaker at a time during the dummy head measurements that they rotated the head to get the different angles and combined the different curves to make one curve, but I'm not sure on this I'm leaning more towards the notion that they used two speakers in stereo at equilateral triangle listening position to do the measurement....hopefully @Mad_Economist or hell even @Sean Olive can confirm as well as help you with your questions at this previous post:
EDIT#2: I searched the few reference documents I've got saved on the Harman Research from things like pdf presentation slides they've done and can't find any relevant answers.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That was me. I hope you will not regret it, but they are even a better deal than the Truthear.
I too, like many here at ASR, was intrigued by such an enthusiastic review of these headphones, and was ready to give my € 50 to Amazon.
Unfortunately the headphones were only available when sold and shipped by shenzenaudio, and I vowed not to buy anything from Shenzhenaudio after all the problems with customer service.
So, now taken by the monkey, I ordered the 7hz Salnotes zero, which someone talked about in the thread. I hope they are at least funny.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is incorrect though as it was a loudspeaker equalised to measure flat the at the LP, he corrected it later.
Lol, thanks for highlighting it! :p Sometimes I admit I do just say "anechoic flat speaker in a room" vs "loudspeaker equalised to in-room flat" - I know it's inaccurate to say the former as the curves are wildly different - indeed the "anechoic flat speaker in a room" happens to actually follow the 2013 Harman Curve (which I explained in some earlier post), whereas "loudspeaker equalised to in-room flat" is brighter than that by around a roughly linear 9dB tilt across that whole 20Hz-20000Hz range. I don't know why they didn't start out with the Harman 2013 Curve as the basis upon which to give to listeners to finetune, as I reckon it could have probably meant that less people would change it by a large amount as the starting point would have been closer to an already ideal tonality.....potentially could have ended up at a more accurate end result is my thinking.....although maybe also their thinking was that if it was already so close to an ideal tonality that people would be reluctant to twiddle the knobs and thereby not ending up at a true reflection of their actual best preference....it's a bit of a tough one to imagine the various outcomes and what the best starting point would have been.

Last edited:

Todd k

Forum Donor
Got my pair yesterday, about a week earlier than Amazon promised. Quickly threw the absurd cover art away. I mainly listen to all my iem’s on one of my three iPods. Damn, for 50 clams these are pretty nice. I have some JH Audio ciem’s, shure 535 and several others for comparison. Was really curious about the Harmon curve and wanted to hear what that is all about. Amazing what 50$ will get you today. Initially sounded pretty good but noticed I had to crank the iPod way up to get them to sound good to me. Added a topping nx5 headphone amp and that jumped up the sound quality about 5 rungs. I know all subjective opinion so all just my worthless observation. Still I am really impressed by the value. Anyone on the fence about these iem I can tell you that you do not need to spend hundreds of $ to get good sound in a iem. Thanks Amir for the review and keep up the good work.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Harman! Named after the founder Sidney Harman.
Got nothing to do with harmonic.
(and he wasn't Jamaican like someone else said earlier!) :p

Robert C

Is the cover art visible on the postal packaging?

(apologies if this question is too woke for the incel snowflakes in this thread)

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(and he wasn't Jamaican like someone else said earlier!) :p
You mean someone (me) joked earlier when I replied to the correction, "Thanks... I believe that "Harmon" is the Rastafarian pronunciation... lol." The "lol" was the hint at humor rather than claiming Rasta heritage. Or were you joking and I missed it too?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean like someone (me) joked earlier when I replied to the correction, "Thanks... I believe that "Harmon" is the Rastafarian pronunciation... lol." The "lol" was the hint at humor rather than claiming Rasta heritage. Or were you joking and I missed it too?
It's alright, I remembered you....you were right there as the starting point of this humour we're exploiting! It is indeed your joke, I was merely building on it! :D

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's alright, I remembered you....you were right there as the starting point of this humour we're exploiting! It is indeed your joke, I was merely building on it! :D
Just clarifying it was a joke, not a statement... and not claiming ownership for either... consider it "public domain"... :cool:

AndreaT

L
Hm, then a reasonable USB C dongle may be needed, which has decent power, gain. I intend to use my TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero together with my mobile phone.At the moment I don't have any good, or ok,sensible USB C dongle.

Damn, now I'm going to have to buy more. I didn't think about that. After all, I had introduced a purchase freeze for more HiFi this year. Never mind, there may be another exception. :) Some USB C dongle with reasonably good performance, gain/power that goes well together with TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero , which costs around $50. Tips on that are welcome.:)

Another tip I took note of. Do not buy any USB C dongle within the EU, because such a dongle CAN unfortunately then have an amplification, gain brake built-in. Some strange EU rule I read about. So importing from China or some other country outside the EU.
(I know it sounds unbelievable, but it wouldn't surprise me if the bureaucrats within the EU came up with something like that)

Edit:
Maybe this one?:)

"230mW@32Ω, 54mW@300Ω."

Yes, I remember reading something about max SPL mandated in the EU. Even symphony orchestras at some point might have had to play the brass section softer to avoid the wrath of the EU.
Here we go: https://ec.europa.eu/health/scienti...layer-mp3/l-3/3-hearing-protection-limits.htm

GaryH

Major Contributor
It seems to have been derived from a mono source
From the man himself:
The Harman Target is based on a stereo pair of anechoically flat loudspeakers measured at the DRP in a semi-reflective room, which is neither free-field nor diffuse field. The DRP was measured in the stereo seat using a +- 30 degree spatial average.

anphex

Forum Donor
A 50 € IEM to end most headphones? Wow. Now we just need this for speakers.

My thick cable sony IEM broke a few days ago. So yup, I just ordered these. 50 € in Germany and prime shipping :)

DanTheMan

If Mad_Economist comes back to you on the other post I'll let him take this up with you, as I'm not sure this is the actual case re your mono comments, as that wasn't my understanding of how it was created, but I'll let him take that up with you to either confirm what you're saying or to show the differences.
EDIT: trawling the depths of my memory, I have a hunch that if they did just use one speaker at a time during the dummy head measurements that they rotated the head to get the different angles and combined the different curves to make one curve, but I'm not sure on this I'm leaning more towards the notion that they used two speakers in stereo at equilateral triangle listening position to do the measurement....hopefully @Mad_Economist or hell even @Sean Olive can confirm as well as help you with your questions at this previous post:
EDIT#2: I searched the few reference documents I've got saved on the Harman Research from things like pdf presentation slides they've done and can't find any relevant answers.
I tried to get Dr. Olive to comment in the first place. The data sure looks mono. If it’s not mono, how to they not have a head shadow?

Last edited:

doug2761

Forum Donor
On listening to these I don't think the Harman curve applied to IEMs is works as well for me as it does with full headphones. For $50, these are fabulous but I think that their Harman tuning makes these sound a bit shouty to me. Interesting experiment to see if this tuning works for me. These sound good to me but just not as revelatory as Amir's enthusiasm suggested to me. Perhaps foam tips would work a bit better for me.

DanTheMan

From the man himself:
Then why does it lack an acoustic head shadow? This was the question I initially posed to him. Something has to be wrong with their data. You can see the spatial averaging….the graph looks like every mono graph done on the subject.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
On listening to these I don't think the Harman curve applied to IEMs is works as well for me as it does with full headphones. For $50, these are fabulous but I think that their Harman tuning makes these sound a bit shouty to me. Interesting experiment to see if this tuning works for me. These sound good to me but just not as revelatory as Amir's enthusiasm suggested to me. Perhaps foam tips would work a bit better for me.
Aaand it's happening...just as I predicted. Despite casual glances at the frequency response, the Truthear are not likely in fact incredibly close to the Harman target, with a broadband excess of ~2 dB right in the 'shouty' region, see my post here. Try Maiky's EQ which will likely get you much closer to the target.

Top Bottom