• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 291 79.7%

• Total voters

bumelant

I can do all of this with my Raspberry Pi running MoOde with camillaDSP. What we need is more multichannel DACs like the Topping DM7.
A 4 channel DAC would be useful for subwoofer integration. They could even implement a simple high and low pass filter on the device itself.
I do use Raspberry, but it's no comparison with functionality of BlueOS or Matrix where everything is nicely integrated - for instance when you change volume in Roon, it gets changed on the device and you can next change it with remote. Nice display (and I mean "nice") is really important as well.
Bottom line is I don't want to spend 1000 hours tuning my custom solution to get messy setup of 5 boxes, I need something I can just put there on my sideboard and enjoy. Something my wife wound't complain about using.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do use Raspberry, but it's no comparison with functionality of BlueOS or Matrix where everything is nicely integrated - for instance when you change volume in Roon, it gets changed on the device and you can next change it with remote. Nice display (and I mean "nice") is really important as well.
Bottom line is I don't want to spend 1000 hours tuning my custom solution to get messy setup of 5 boxes, I need something I can just put there on my sideboard and enjoy. Something my wife wound't complain about using.
The Minidsp SHD or flex could do that but they're a bit expensive. I hope Topping and SMSL will make some DSP/ streaming devices in the future.
They have the potential to make the hardware but making good software is the real challenge here.

Fleuch

It is a wonderful product indeed, but could we finally get from Topping some better experience?:
1) Metal remotes that are on par with the quality of the sound
2) Streamer with proper remote and display? With digital volume control & output for Genelec and a nice DAC & headphone amp builtin
3) Programable equalization / FIR filters per output
4) I personally wound't mind a proper CD transport.

Thank you :)
The Topping M50 require a 5V power supply of your choice, perhaps a mobile phone charger, but with no review to test its performance the verdict must be "not proven".

So a quality streamer that can act as a USB bridge, with display but perhaps not an internal DAC, would be most welcome.

Last edited:

Hxx

Whoa, thanks! that looks like quite a difference, but is it meaningful in practice?
DAC performance not as much but amp performance yes it could be very meaningful depending on the HP you plan to use. i would first start with figuring out how much power you HP needs and go from there.

juliangst

Are there cheaper amps than A90D suitable for low impedance phones? Currently running EX5 and thinking of an upgrade to Aeon Noire
I'm also looking for one but the A90D seems to be the best option if you don't want to go for a speaker amp

mocenigo

Major Contributor
No home runs whatsoever for Topping.

They need to get their house in order with failed products before anyone should be recommending their stuff.

This is true but at least their DACs do not seem to have many problems. At least not my D90 and my friend's. But I crave for a 4 or 8 (maybe even 10?) channel DAC that can then be used for an active multiamplified setup. The problem is that it would require some SW (FW) writing skills, on which they are clearly lacking expertise (I mean, you put your DAC on USB, and mute and then turn it on and off and it resets, including the volume? so if you put your DAC on mute and the power grid has a glitch you risk to blow your speakers or ears after that? SERIOUSLY?). A proper UI/EX design, and proper QA, are expensive things.

Garrincha

I much prefer from convenience built in power supply, less wires
the results are incredible what dac chip is it using the implementation is incredible in such a small unit , noise suppression truly impressive
Well, built in and external power supply in fact need the same number of wires: 1. It´s jut that with an external power supply, there is something attached to it (the power supply). I wanted to avoid it too, but then bought the Dx3Pro+ and the external power supply is so small, it does not make a noticeable difference. No brick at all.

Urvile

I realize this is a bit of a non sequitur. Topping please make a AVR/AVP I'd so love to see what you could do!

juliangst

I realize this is a bit of a non sequitur. Topping please make a AVR/AVP I'd so love to see what you could do!
It's near to impossible for a small company like Topping to get all the Dolby certifications. MiniDSP isn't even doing that.
The 8 Channel DAC they made is probably the best they can do at the moment. I hope they'll make a 4 channel version for a 2.2 setup

Urvile

I hope they'll make a 4 channel version for a 2.2 setup
Me too! That would be perfect for me. I'd imagine HMDI licensing would be deal breaker too, but I can dream!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is that another effing OLED display?

Martin
It's nice when new but after some time they are unreadable,you're right.
Somewhere I read the same about Okto.
Is it so expensive or difficult (I don't have a clue what lasts except my dell IPS monitors who will probably never die) to use something else?

elvisizer

give me +4 dBu output and I'd buy any of these recent topping DACs instead of my old mytek
o well

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
What great specs. The form factor is not my favorite, it looks a little "squeezed." Price is...up there. But if I needed balanced connections...this'd be hard to beat.

Top Bottom