• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
@amirm did you give a listen to tube and/or transistor mode except the standard?
Are they selectable on the fly?
It will be interesting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm did you give a listen to tube and/or transistor mode except the standard?
I did not. When I get some free time, I will listen.

nsfgp

Any chance the BT performance can be tested/measured?? This thing has the BT digital signal routed to the main DAC chip for processing instead of using the BT chip. So LDAC performance should be very good if it can be tested/measured. Thanks.

HDavidson

Thanks Amir. Now I'm faced with a choice:
1) topping d10 balanced (already on the table) + topping a90 discrete
2) topping DX7 Pro+
What do you think ?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Looks and performs really nice.

Kind of low power at 32 ohm, I would like to see at least 3W at that load for hifiman aryas and EDXSs eqed to Harman, and DCAs Aeons, considering the price devices like this should, in my opinion, aim to power those kind of planar headphones that might be what a potential buyer of this price bracket be looking into too.
Aeon 3W? I have Aeons and use them all the time, they don't need 3W? 1W is more than enough.

Reactions: RHO

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This thing looks great but the price is quite high considering, better to just get the EX5 or DX5. Since despite the DAC being the new best; the Amp isn't so it is kind of lost on the better DAC. Similar to the newest SMSL C200 where the DAC portion is better but the Amp isn't.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's the max output power vs load for every Topping AIO currently sold:
View attachment 228156
Note that I used WolfX-700's data, because he does high res sweeps at four different loads.
So why would Topping not improve the amp for a more expensive model (Dx3Pro+ is more powerful than Dx7Pro+) ?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Focal Clear
Since you already have the D10 Pro just get the A90D if that is what you want?
Otherwise get the THX AAA 789 or Monoprice 887 since those are the other amps closer to the A90D. The THX style Amps drive more current similar to the A90D.

LearningToSmile

Performance as expected. But man I really do not like the new design language, even my old boxy DX7s looks better to me, and the DX7 Pro was a lot cleaner. I hope they change it for whatever next DAC/Amp will be out by the time I need to replace my DX7s. Though I suppose EX5 would be good enough for my needs and that still looks good.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think they didn't want to slay their D90/A90 stack.
Could be. Its has XLR, eternal power supply and so on, but if one uses a dac/headphone amp as a standalone, like I do, I don't see a reason to get the Dx7Pro+ over the Dx3Pro+.

HDavidson

Since you already have the D10 Pro just get the A90D if that is what you want?
Otherwise get the THX AAA 789 or Monoprice 887 since those are the other amps closer to the A90D. The THX style Amps drive more current similar to the A90D.
There is already smsl sp200 thx aaa-888. But I'm also interested in the preamp function. Probably topping d10 balanced + topping a90 discrete would be a better option.

Top Bottom