• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

AKR

My setup is different from most. Wiim digital out to optical splitter with 3 out. 3 dacs connected including multibit, ess and akm. Each dac has different sound personality. I just switch input on preamp to listen to each.
If playing high res audio that is already on a Toslink connection limits in terms of bandwidth, I wonder how much a splitter degrades the sound. If listening to compressed formats a splitter should be fine.

Turambar

If you are waiting for a WiiM with built in DAC I very much doubt that will occur. If a WiiM with chromcast support that does not require a pro, only WiiM implementing it, which again I doubt as it’s a low priority in terms of overall user base.
Not sure what you mean by that, WiiM has already a built DAC to feed the analog output. Probably you are meaning something else that I haven't grasped?.

I have a Node and if I have to buy any streamer today to feed my DACs, I would go with WiiM. Simply, the price difference is too high, and the extra functionality in Node is not compensating, from my point of view.

AKR

Not sure what you mean by that, WiiM has already a built DAC to feed the analog output. Probably you are meaning something else that I haven't grasped?.

I have a Node and if I have to buy any streamer today to feed my DACs, I would go with WiiM. Simply, the price difference is too high, and the extra functionality in Node is not compensating, from my point of view.
Sorry I meant a quality DAC. The built in WiiM mini DAC is subpar ( not for the WiiMs cost and if playing highly compressed music maybe usable, but I listen to Spotify and Apple Music both compressed at present and found even an inexpensive quality external DAC makes a significant difference.

AKR

Also a WiiM mini pro with metal housing, a better power supply, full USB output ( USB C or regular USB input, not the mini/ micro usb) could make sense in terms of materially improved hardware. No need to upgrade the internal DAC as many folks already have DACs including some built into Amps, along with inexpensive external DACs freely available.

Mat

So bought one of these today....noticing a fair amount of audio skipping / stuttering

Wasn't sure if it was an Apple Music buffering issue so just threw a pink noise youtube channel on and yeah, random skips & blips :(

ON THE PLUS SIDE: Way, way better performer than the Apple TV. With that I can crank volume on my amp and pick up noise, clicking, and other dirt buried in the signal. Changing source to this at the same volume and the noise floor goes way down, below my DAC's floor. But yeah, the stuttering is making me want to return this junk now, noise floor means nothing if it cant play music competently.

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
But yeah, the stuttering is making me want to return this junk now, noise floor means nothing if it cant play music competently.
Most likely a WiFi issue, either weak signal or interference. It can definitely perform competently with a good, clean WiFi signal.

Mat

Most likely a WiFi issue, either weak signal or interference. It can definitely perform competently with a good, clean WiFi signal.

App says device wifi strength is 'very good' / 5ghz only, etc.

Restarted router & all devices

skippin' like a schoolgirl

AKR

Reset WiiM mini ( Restore Factory settings) and try again.

Green7

I have had the same skipping issue starting Saturday, since my firmware updated. Reported to Wiim support. This is what I got back from them - " It's probably related to our recent changes in the AMHD buffer handling." They are working on it.

Mat

Reset WiiM mini ( Restore Factory settings) and try again.

No dice, but for a moment, I had hope
I have had the same skipping issue starting Saturday, since my firmware updated. Reported to Wiim support. This is what I got back from them - " It's probably related to our recent changes in the AMHD buffer handling." They are working on it.

ahh crap, and since it auto updated out the box I have no idea if things were better before. Hopefully they figure it out within my return window (if this is what's causing it)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
...and yet, I've been playing from Amazon HD for hours on end, with the latest firmware, without a glitch... I doubt it's a firmware issue - WiFi or router issue is much more likely.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Could this be a result of the DAC Toslink connector? Some DACs have drop out issues when Toslink is used as source. What DAC are you using?

Mat

Could this be a result of the DAC Toslink connector? Some DACs have drop out issues when Toslink is used as source. What DAC are you using?

DAC has no problem with the ATV (Jitter machine) using Toslink. The DAC is a NAD M51. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If playing high res audio that is already on a Toslink connection limits in terms of bandwidth, I wonder how much a splitter degrades the sound. If listening to compressed formats a splitter should be fine.
My dac shows sampling frequency and I get bit perfect changing one dac to other including 192khz

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My take on dac sound signature. AKM fully body strong bass and mid and little treble that could be dull on some music, It’s lay back sound. ESS very detail and forward sound with some digital glare. Multibit sounds like everything I play like they where cassettes tapes.

diggida

I can see how else you could acheive it, you can buy audio / video splitters but that's not going to give you anything different to the projectors analogue out, if you do go bluetooth transmitter get an APTX one as the reduce latency.
Would a 2nd WiiM transmit the audio via Airplay? Would that yield lower latency? A basic bluetooth transmitter is pretty cheap, but if a second WiiM gave me better performance I’d be happy to go that route.

Music1969

Major Contributor
So bought one of these today....noticing a fair amount of audio skipping / stuttering

Wasn't sure if it was an Apple Music buffering issue so just threw a pink noise youtube channel on and yeah, random skips & blips :(

ON THE PLUS SIDE: Way, way better performer than the Apple TV. With that I can crank volume on my amp and pick up noise, clicking, and other dirt buried in the signal. Changing source to this at the same volume and the noise floor goes way down, below my DAC's floor. But yeah, the stuttering is making me want to return this junk now, noise floor means nothing if it cant play music competently.
Enable the 8.8.8.8 DNS setting in WiiM Home app.

Any difference?

Powering WiiM properly ?

Mat

Enable the 8.8.8.8 DNS setting in WiiM Home app.

Any difference?

Powering WiiM properly ?

Was using 8888 the whole time (then tried without after the factory reset, no diff)

Not sure how to power improperly here but I tried the USB cable direct into my power bar's USB power and with the provided adapter into a separate outlet

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not sure how to power improperly here but I tried the USB cable direct into my power bar's USB power and with the provided adapter into a separate outlet
Well the user manual states 1A at 5Vdc so if someone powered it from a USB 2.0 port, that is technically improperly right?

USB 2.0 powah = 0.5A (may work, but may not)

If using their supplier adapter then obviously that's proper

Top Bottom