• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New PSB speakers (Passif 50th Anniversary)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With an enclosure like this, it will be really hard to get a good spin from it. I do like the idea, even though this Anniversary model is Made in China instead of Canada. The boxy JBL’s have beveled edges presumably to decrease a little bit of diffraction.

985F95D9-2459-4AB3-9249-198F541ADDA9.jpeg

Beave

Major Contributor
It just occurred to me: JBL, KLH, and PSB all have retro appearing speakers now. Is there a law that speaker companies with three letters for their name must do this?

Watch out, KEF is next! :)

tuga

Major Contributor
I assumed from the pictures that they were a 3 way, but they're a 2 way with an 8" passive radiator. The woofer is listed as 5" under "description" but as 6 1/2" in "specifications."

I assumed that too. To be fair, an 8" woofer looks nicer than a port. :D

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't get it... With a speaker that big they could have easily build a closed version with a dedicated bass driver with a Qts about 0.5 or higher to achieve reasonable bass performance. And this would btw serve the concept of a retro speaker better.

Oh wait: this would be more expensive than a simple passive radiator without its own motor....:rolleyes:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tuga

Major Contributor
$2500 / 3000€ pair price for 6.5" 2-way made in China isn't really what used to make PSB stand out, what a shame in my opinion.

Also, judging from its measured performance I don't think that the current Synchrony T600 flaship is an improvement over it's predecessors the Imagine T3 or the Synchrony One...

itz_all_about_the_music

Very reminiscent of the Polk Monitor 5s. Another horrible passive radiator speaker. I had a pair for about 2 weeks...

View attachment 216145
"Another" horrible? So you've made a conclusion that this PSB product is "horrible" before either a listen or seeing the data? Makes one wonder why some even read ASR at all. Know what I mean?

Last edited:

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I assumed from the pictures that they were a 3 way, but they're a 2 way with an 8" passive radiator. The woofer is listed as 5" under "description" but as 6 1/2" in "specifications."
As soon as I read this comment, they instantly turned to garbage in my mind. Too harsh?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As soon as I read this comment, they instantly turned to garbage in my mind. Too harsh?
Not if the faux pas in the description of the speaker indicates the care that went into the construction....

Vini darko

Major Contributor
It just occurred to me: JBL, KLH, and PSB all have retro appearing speakers now. Is there a law that speaker companies with three letters for their name must do this?

Watch out, KEF is next! :)
Nah wharfedale and klipsh are also on the bandwagon. Oh mission too.

tuga

Major Contributor
"Another" horrible? So you've made a conclusion that this PSB product is "horrible" before either a listen or seeing the data? Makes one wonder why some even read ASR at all. Know what I mean?

Sometimes visual inspection visual inspection can be enough:

1452787848-reliant.gif

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$2500 / 3000€ pair price for 6.5" 2-way made in China isn't really what used to make PSB stand out, what a shame in my opinion.

More about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksp...on-of-50-years-of-work-by-founder-paul-barton
As I understand PBS has been making their speaker in China for quite some time. I seem to remember an interview in Stereophile maybe (?) where Paul Barton grew quite effusive about working with Chinese fabricators.

I believe Paradigm speakers are still built in Canada. Also I believe that Paradigm builds speakers for Martin Logan at its Canadian facility.

itz_all_about_the_music

Sometimes visual inspection visual inspection can be enough:

1452787848-reliant.gif
Yet your Yugo video is showing vehicle performance, not what it does while sitting parked. Don't know about you but I listen to speakers (and drive vehicles), not look at them.

Sometimes reading certain posts here can be enough to expose one's reviewing skills.

tuga

Major Contributor
Yet your Yugo video is showing vehicle performance, not what it does while sitting parked. Don't know about you but I listen to speakers (and drive vehicles), not look at them.

Sometimes reading certain posts here can be enough to expose one's reviewing skills.

It's not a Yugo. If it were still, parking, would you not expect it to have issues with sharp turns? I guess that exposes your reviewing skills...

itz_all_about_the_music

Top Bottom