• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most aesthetically pleasing amplifiers

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a sound room! Looks like classy stuff.
View attachment 198858
Off topic, but yeah, classy, and perfect ASR-debate-fodder ... no attention to directivity, a bit notchy at the MF/HF crossover, but wonderfully unconstrained, natural, unboxy and transient. You could check them out - I believe the North American distributor is in Canada.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Mmmm nice::D
45224de588814d797c73c3f1ee3dd165.jpg

By the way, those who know the Luxor brand claim that the Luxman in the construction is very similar to the amp Luxor 7082 A. Although I do not know, in any case Luxor and Luxman collaborated in the 70s. By the way, I have one. Looks pretty nice too.:)

Luxor-7082-A-57905.jpeg

Edit:
I grew up 22 miles/35 kilometers Luxor, hence the warm feelings for the brand. Or love hate feelings. :) Luxor created a lot of shit too.A little too harsh words, Luxor was mostly sound and image to the crowds (people sound, people home, the whole society was to be sounded, roughly). No direct sound in the higher HiFi school. The P models (Professional) were probably an attempt to improve the reputation. They were ok. Nothing directly remarkable but for its time ok, the Luxor P products that is.:)

"Luxor was a Swedish home electronics and computer manufacturer located in Motala, established in 1923 and acquired by Nokia in 1985. The brand name is now owned by Turkish company Vestel and is used for televisions sold in the Swedish market.

Originally a manufacturer of tape recorders, radios, television sets, stereo systems, and other home electronics, it launched its first home computer, the ABC 80 in 1978. The succeeding ABC 800 series was introduced in 1981 with new releases in 1983 being produced until the ABC line was terminated in 1986.

In October 1997, Nokia sold its car speaker and audio amplifier business to Harman International Industries. A collaboration with the then Electrolux-owned Autoliv AB led to the company first became a partner for Luxor Electronics since 1998, buying the entire business. In Motala, there still remains manufacturing of various types of electronic products for the automotive industry but not under the Luxor brand.

The brand name was later sold to the Norwegian retailer Elkjøp ASA, When British Dixons Retail bought Elkjøp in November 1999 they also acquired the Luxor brand. In 2006 Turkish company Vestel acquired the Luxor brand."

"Interior of Luxor Radio Factory in Motala, Sweden, 1934"

220px-Luxor-factory-1934.jpg

Attachments

• 1746122.jpg
    1746122.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 63
  • luxman_l-30_integrated_amplifier.jpg
    luxman_l-30_integrated_amplifier.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
...with knobs like that...
1640387401692.png

By the way, I saw that picture in this thread. One of the best threads on ASR::)
(in terms of easy-going fun entertainment and HiFi history)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
View attachment 198886

By the way, I saw that picture in this thread. One of the best threads on ASR::)
(in terms of easy-going fun entertainment and HiFi history)

Where on earth did you find that ad? It has to be the most crass, tasteless, and offensive thing I've seen all day (granted, I've only been up for less than an hour). I wonder if she really wears glasses or that the marketers want us to think that she's smart (for a woman of course :facepalm:) and appreciates whatever brand that is. :eek:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Where on earth did you find that ad? It has to be the most crass, tasteless, and offensive thing I've seen all day (granted, I've only been up for less than an hour). I wonder if she really wears glasses or that the marketers want us to think that she's smart (for a woman of course :facepalm:) and appreciates whatever brand that is. :eek:
I put in to balance, see attached picture.:)

Attachments

• shot_2022-04-10_16-55-29.png
    shot_2022-04-10_16-55-29.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 157

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is more my usual style: Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 1900:
beomaster1900-sm.jpg

Photo from Beocentral.com

Shallow but wide form factor needs to sit atop something, but if you've got the space for it, it's an easy thing to live with. Dimpled areas of bottom black strip indicate location of touch controls. Accompanying light display is clever and relies entirely on incandescent lamps, lenses and backlit transparencies. DIN speaker connectors hidden on the underside of the unit tend to come loose when unit is moved though. Not sure what wood the above unit is veneered with, but mine was Brazillian rosewood and looked magnificent. Repair-wise, not difficult, but the fit of the various panels is exacting.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has to be the most crass, tasteless, and offensive thing I've seen all day (granted, I've only been up for less than an hour). I wonder if she really wears glasses or that the marketers want us to think that she's smart (for a woman of course :facepalm:) and appreciates whatever brand that is. :eek:
The reader of the magazine was entertained.
The magazine sold a page of adds and was happy.
The brand got views and was happy.
The photographer sold a photo and was happy.
The girl showed some cleavage, got payed and was happy.

And here you are, 50 or so years later.
You could have been any taste in the universe, but you decided to be salty.;)
B2F5232ADDCF43A38D7C8536244C0AE4.jpg

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't notice the glasses until you mentioned it.

Top Bottom