• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In order of importance:

Original design; gravel leach/drainage pipes, sumps and pumps
This was the ticket. We converted our entire front yard now to a catchment and sump. The test will be Monday next week when the rain returns.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In my experience don't waste your time with carpet. Tear out the carpet as the pad underneath is nearly impossible to truly dry out. Drywall might only need replacing a foot up from the floor depending upon your particular situation.
Yeh, I have been pondering that. I figured it costs fair bit to have someone clean it anyway. And us doing it is out of the question given the heavy furnishings on it. For now my goal is to dry the space so that it is not creating secondary problems. Whether the carpet survives is not a priority.

I ripped out the baseboard in the bathroom where it was leaking in. Even there, the drywall has survived so well. Can't believe it has. We will have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, not an attorney licensed to practice in your state and the following is not legal advice, but I'd be careful re imitating any litigation against the county. They may be able to claim sovereign immunity as an absolute defense, and then proceed to make your life hell. This happened recently to someone I know: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...s-pay-clean-it-up/NMARLKCLWBDWDGP7B2D7VNDR54/.
Wow, amazing how non-intuitive laws can be! Thanks for letting me know. I was going to contact my real estate attorney and get his opinion about doing anything if I was going to go this route. Right now, even that seems like too much work relative to my priorities.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Loose thought: I'm kind of grateful for living in central Europe when I see such a disaster, here in wide areas there are no quakes, no floods, just the usual tax increases. On the other hand, just a few hundred km away...

respice finem

Major Contributor
Wow, amazing how non-intuitive laws can be! Thanks for letting me know. I was going to contact my real estate attorney and get his opinion about doing anything if I was going to go this route. Right now, even that seems like too much work relative to my priorities.
Also not an attorney and living in Germany, but maybe the insurance "logic" is not that far apart: In the same event here, you would be obliged to inform your insurance ASAP, preferably with pictures/video documentation, and your insurance company would first compensate you, and then try to get the money back from those responsible. Saves a lot of "legal troubles".

YoloSwag

Las time I saw the news i5 was flooded and I was like first time heard of i5 flood in last 10 years......snow melted and rains

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It works the same here. Alas, my insurance company immediately turned down our claim saying it is not covered. They would cover it if a pipe broke as that would be "an accident." But any water coming from outside, is my problem. 40+ years of paying premiums and I make one claim, only to have them reject it. The adjuster was almost grinning cheek to cheek as he spoke to me on the phone that they had this easy out. :(

respice finem

Major Contributor
It works the same here. Alas, my insurance company immediately turned down our claim saying it is not covered. They would cover it if a pipe broke as that would be "an accident." But any water coming from outside, is my problem. 40+ years of paying premiums and I make one claim, only to have them reject it. The adjuster was almost grinning cheek to cheek as he spoke to me on the phone that they had this easy out. :(
Maybe it's worthwhile to let a "pro" check this. Only because they claim it, it doesn't have to be true.
But I'm starting to understand the younger generations who see insurances as "vultures".
Your mileage may vary... Good luck!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm I recently helped with a friends flooded basement. The water was ~2" up the gyproc. We hit back hard with dehumidifiers and fans and the gyproc is still there looking good after all that drying for days. That was ~3.5 years ago and the gyrpoc is still holding up well.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Very sorry to hear this; I hope it all works out and in particular that your wife makes a quick and full recovery.

fricccolodics

Best of luck, amir, for the coming days!
As for the insurance claims: it is not up to the insurance company to decide what is covered and what is not;
it is all written down in your policy.
If you want to have "external" water damages covered, you have to pay an extra premium (here in Germany we have a special "Elementary Insurance" for such cases). Main problem is, it isn't offered to everyone anymore since catastrophic events appear more often nowadays.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Am so sorry to hear all of this. I hope your wife makes a speedy and full recovery!

CMB

Best of luck, amir, for the coming days!
As for the insurance claims: it is not up to the insurance company to decide what is covered and what is not;
it is all written down in your policy.
If you want to have "external" water damages covered, you have to pay an extra premium (here in Germany we have a special "Elementary Insurance" for such cases). Main problem is, it isn't offered to everyone anymore since catastrophic events appear more often nowadays.
I had lately the surprise that flooding was also not included in my « premium » insurance neither while it said to cover water damage. They say : Water damage is not equal to water damage apparently, or water is not equal to water…
I think they always have an excuse, and if not they just extend delays until you give up or cut a deal.

But, the insurance here in Luxembourg informed about this after the heavy rain events and offered to include it for future events against a higher price of course.

Proberts911

Forum Donor
Sorry to hear what you're going through. Your last concern should be ASR. Take care of yours and the Mrs health, then the flooding issue.

Top Bottom