• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

Nicolaas

You bitch about people using MP3's in 2022 but are willing to listen to dynamic range compressed flac's on these services. Nice
AFAIK FLAC delivers bit perfect lossless CD quality or higher. Maybe you should study some more into the FLAC format...

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Aha, evidence you say. Interesting. Do you work on Spotify? Now maybe we can find out how it is with Spotify and lossless in that case.:)
Why would you think I work "on" Spotify? You are the one who started this thread with no more than an opinion.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Why would you think I work "on" Spotify? You are the one who started this thread with no more than an opinion.
Because you said:

Just a reasonable person who puts more weight on evidence than opinion.
I guess you're that person. That you have proof, evidence.Otherwise it will be a bit ironic when you write:

Just the delay? It has to be a very complex process; and it would be a real black eye if they do not. I just think it's taking longer than they anticipated, a common dilemma in large organizations.

It's speculation, opinion.No evidence.

Nicolaas

Thanks for the link. Of course I can't help when streaming services etc. are messing around with their content. This has nothing to do with the bit perfect capability of the FLAC format. Maybe this is the reason I hardly ever used a streaming service until now.
Why use my high tech sota D90 DAC with bad sources. Would be a waist I think...And my D90 sounds really beautiful with my local FLAC files.
So happy with all this innovation!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. Of course I can't help when streaming services etc. are messing around with their content. This has nothing to do with the bit perfect capability of the FLAC format. Maybe this is the reason I hardly ever used a streaming service until now.
Why use my high tech sota D90 DAC with bad sources. Would be a waist I think...And my D90 sounds really beautiful with my local FLAC files.
So happy with all this innovation!

Have you carried out any testing to see if you can tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC? It's not as easy as many would believe. Maybe have a watch of this video by our esteemed host:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Because you said:

Just a reasonable person who puts more weight on evidence than opinion.
I guess you're that person. That you have proof, evidence.Otherwise it will be a bit ironic when you write:

Just the delay? It has to be a very complex process; and it would be a real black eye if they do not. I just think it's taking longer than they anticipated, a common dilemma in large organizations.

It's speculation, opinion.No evidence.
I was referring to YOUR statement that Spotify was not going to follow thru with HiFi and wondering what you based that on. I have never claimed to know what they are going to do, i just offered some thoughts on why it might be delayed.
Enough of this, I don't know why i even bother with posting. Just read the reviews, read the reviews, ...

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never liked Spotify anyway.

Nicolaas

Have you carried out any testing to see if you can tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC? It's not as easy as many would believe. Maybe have a watch of this video by our esteemed host:
Yes I did and it was difficult for me too. But hey, we are in 2022. Storage is cheap. Bandwidth is cheap. So there is no reason at all to mess with the source using MP3, MQA etc. etc. Mind you we have lossless CD sources for 40 !!!! years. For me it is a matter of principle and it gives me peace of mind to play FLAC files at nearly no extra cost or effort. I don't understand what all these MP3 and MQA admirers/defenders are looking for here at ASR when starting playing flawed sources to begin with. I really don't get it. It's not logical...

D

Deleted member 23982

i voted yes but i actually stopped listening to spotify like 1-2 years ago because of the same reason :)

Zensō

Major Contributor
Yes I did and it was difficult for me too. But hey, we are in 2022. Storage is cheap. Bandwidth is cheap. So there is no reason at all to mess with the source using MP3, MQA etc. etc. Mind you we have lossless CD sources for 40 !!!! years. For me it is a matter of principle and it gives me peace of mind to play FLAC files at nearly no extra cost or effort. I don't understand what all these MP3 and MQA admirers/defenders are looking for here at ASR when starting playing flawed sources to begin with. I really don't get it. It's not logical...
Audiophiles often claim to hear “night and day” differences between high quality lossy (256 AAC, 320 Ogg Vorbis) and CD or higher quality sources, but if subjected to a controlled blind test, most will fail. If a person can’t distinguish between these sources, are the “flawed” lossy sources actually inferior in any real sense?

All of this concern amongst audiophiles over lossless and bit perfect playback can sometimes seem like much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why keep people bringing up MP3 over and over. Just about none of the streaming services use it and it’s significantly worse than AAC or Vorbis.

I also don’t quite understand the equivalence to MQA. Sure they are both forms of lossy compression to save bandwidth, but purpose is totally different.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I was referring to YOUR statement that Spotify was not going to follow thru with HiFi and wondering what you based that on. I have never claimed to know what they are going to do, i just offered some thoughts on why it might be delayed.
Enough of this, I don't know why i even bother with posting. Just read the reviews, read the reviews, ...
It's okay for me if you get annoyed that I speculate and guess. I wrote seems, do not know and so on.

I keep Spotify. I swallow the harasser that I said I would resign. I can not bear to transfer playlists to anything else. Maybe I have Spotify and for example Amazon Music or Qobuz. What it should be good for now. Or I spend time and energy fixing better sounds instead. Do things that really make a difference. Fix with the room acoustics, EQ, some more sub, possibly better speakers. Such as, in comparison (current Spotify vs lossles other optional provider of it), make sound quality streaming becomes a fart in space.I guess, best to say. :)

Addition. I do not know how a fart in space behaves.

Edit:
Why do I get involved with Spotify and its lack of lossless if I do not think I hear any difference? Because right now I have nothing else more sensible thing to do.:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23982

Picking a streaming service on the basis of inaudible differences is illogical.
even IF its for "everyone" inaudible, there is no reason to compress anymore with the storage/bandwidth we have today, even IF its just for the piece of mind knowing thats not a limiting factor :)

spotify isnt that bad, but mp3 rips from youtube certainly are compared to flac

Tangband

Major Contributor
For me its about the whole hifi-industry.
I can not support 320 kbit ( Spotify ) when I can get lossless and high resolution for the same money.
The sound is worse compared till TIDAL and Apple lossless.

If everyone stop their spotify account , the world will be a better place, soundwise.

CMB

Having also a family plan on Spotify and don't plan to close it.

While using mostly Tidal for home listening, Spotify has much better choice of individualized playlists (which I often import into Tidal), and the "search function" is much more tolerant to me.

So, I keep it at a "Search Engine" for me and as a music provider to the family.

Nicolaas

Having had CD lossless quality for ca 40 years and SACD quality for ca 20 years it's not logical to strive for perfect audio reproduction with flawed lossy formats as a source. It's like backdating your beautiful Porsche 911 with an ugly big plastic spoiler, ugly rims and ugly stickers...

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. Whilst I too would prefer Spotify had a lossless option, it would be not be something I would pay extra for, given that 320kbps Ogg Vorbis is quite Good Enough. The choice of music, the User Interface and integration with my Squeezebox Touch are all far more important than what I can't hear.

If Spotify had a better selection of Classical music, better arranged than they do, (A dead composer is not the artist) that would be worth paying extra for.

S.

D

Deleted member 23982

tho, i hope IF spotify finally comes up with hires it will also include 24bit, and not just cd quality, i think (hope) thats also the reason for delay since many compitors have it it by now

Top Bottom