• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Are you in a competition to be the most obnoxious replier in forums? If so, you are killing it!
The guy is just talking about converting unbalanced (SE) to balanced to keep his DAC and I just gave a equipment suggestion to do so. And what did any of your comments did to help? Answer: nothing.
Sorry, I am pointing out that this kind of hack does not help. Is worse than just feeding with the SOP adapters we have used for decades. IT AIN'T THAT HARD. Gad some here are touchy.

JakeJang

I took a look at the khadas page and found that the Tone2 Pro's RCA output was complicated.
Even if you take measures, the result may be different from usual...
View attachment 176960
Yeah, it's because they kinda made a semi-balanced RCA output. Khadas sells their own Balanced RCA to XLR cable, which costs at least $75....
I actually ordered it yesterday, and try with this cable this weekend.
I hope I can distinguish the difference between using XLR to TRS and TRS to TS if not that would be a waste of money.
Maybe it's just an additional note to this thread.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay so I bought the PA5 without doing my research. For some reason I thought it had both balanced and unbalanced inputs. Now I have a PA5 that I can't use. So I'm looking for recommendations for either a preamp (I have a DAC) or a DAC. I need a volume control with a remote. Any ideas would be appreciated? I'd hate to return it given all of the great feedback here. I also don't want to spend a fortune.
You can use the PA5 with unbalanced inputs. Just use an adapter.

mario_rouge

Replaying quite late, I just tested with TS-RCA gender, and it works out very great.
All the issues are gone, and now I realize the difference between a Beefy amp and a normal one.
This amp is so good.
Thank you for your recommendation.
PA5 is not a Beefy amp, it has just 48 watt.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any class ab amps under $800 with similar or more power compared to pa5 with 20db gain or less? If not I really see pa5 as my only option. $3k for ahb2 is just not in the cards right now. I can't justify paying that much more for that little increase in performance real world.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To compare to a comparable amp with reasonable overhead, consider the PA5 to be more like a 20W amp. Maybe the Aegir is a good comparison. Maybe a First Watt F8. Wouldn't that be something if it can surpass the small class A amps.
What are you saying is a comparable amp with overhead? At a similar price?

50W is into 8Ω and 0.0003% THD. It can do 60W at 0.05%, and 75W at 1%THD

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Are there any class ab amps under $800 with similar or more power compared to pa5 with 20db gain or less? If not I really see pa5 as my only option. $3k for ahb2 is just not in the cards right now. I can't justify paying that much more for that little increase in performance real world.
March P122, Schiit Vidar, and Atoll MA100 are my short list for amplifiers I can afford that may reach the" no sound of their own" If I could justify a Benchmark, I too would have one, but my own MOSFET I really can't fault. I am trying to justify a PA5 for my desk but really want an all in one. DAC/Phones/speakers/crossover for sub.

How much gain is dependent on the output. This is why we have volume controls. So buying an amp based on the gain may be an unwise spec.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about Outlaw Audio Model 2220 Monoblock Power Amplifier?
Price $798 / pair!

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Forgot them. Yes, decent amps. Made by ATI I think. Not quite in the "no sound of their own" class I don't think. Close. They have put to shame some rather ego priced amps.

But a different market. They are legit "big" amps.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Look at the performance chart where it turns the corner. Pick at least 2 or 3 dB overhead to make a comparison with a well executed AB amp.
I am not saying this amp is small. 20W into 8 Ohms is a bunch of power and transients clean over 40. Go ask the tube and class A guys who consider 12W a great amp. It should be more than enough for any apartment dweller to get serious hi-fi. I suspect that and high end desktops is their market. Poor choice of speakers of course hurts. The trend to very high power amplifiers has more to do with cheap design and advertising that actual playing music in a home.

I am about ready to get one to compare to my 60W amp. For comfortable listening, I bet it may be close as my preamp volume has never been past 12:00. Then move it to my desk where my 10W Tripath is way more than needed. Unless it blows away my old amp, which would be disappointing to my ego, hence I would leave it in place as the music is what counts, not my design skills. Actually, if it does sound better but is not big enough, I would buy the March P221 in a heartbeat as I see it as a serious contender to the Benchmark at 1/3 the price.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DIY option but Neurochrome Modulus 86 -> https://neurochrome.com/products/modulus-86.

As a dirt cheap but low power DIY class D option the Icepower 50ASX2SE has 20.5 dB gain and pretty good residual noise specs. I just bought one of these from Parts Express and am curious to try it out.

Michael

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Add in the cost of a power supply and case of some sort so the actual cost can be compared. It may be hard to beat $350, but close. $150 for two boards, $100 for parts ( they say), power supply, get an old amp off e-bay for $20 for the case and heat sink. ( Maybe even the linear supply?) Could be a gem for DIY.

I have not been impressed with any ICEPOWER amp. They are why I until recently totally dismissed class D. Let us know how it sounds.

bsas

$370 DIY or $549 assembled. And there is a try out period that you can return if you don’t like it.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the performance chart where it turns the corner. Pick at least 2 or 3 dB overhead to make a comparison with a well executed AB amp.

PA5 distortion stays below -100dB until just above 50W into 8 ohms, and stays under 1% THD until about 70W. I don't see a turning point at 20W.

1641479942187.png

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not saying this amp is small. 20W into 8 Ohms is a bunch of power and transients clean over 40. Go ask the tube and class A guys who consider 12W a great amp. It should be more than enough for any apartment dweller to get serious hi-fi. I suspect that and high end desktops is their market. Poor choice of speakers of course hurts. The trend to very high power amplifiers has more to do with cheap design and advertising that actual playing music in a home.

I am about ready to get one to compare to my 60W amp. For comfortable listening, I bet it may be close as my preamp volume has never been past 12:00. Then move it to my desk where my 10W Tripath is way more than needed. Unless it blows away my old amp, which would be disappointing to my ego, hence I would leave it in place as the music is what counts, not my design skills. Actually, if it does sound better but is not big enough, I would buy the March P221 in a heartbeat as I see it as a serious contender to the Benchmark at 1/3 the price.
Again - please point to a well executed AB amp we can make a comparison with. Either 20W rated that is doing 50W with 0.0005%THD, or a 50W rated that can actually do +3dB (100W) with low distortion. Or *anything* similar that justifies you stating it only performs as a 20W class AB.

The Vidar you mention for example is rated at 100W (at more than double the price) and can do just over that, but at 0.01% THD - and definitely cannot go +3dB, so do we have to state that is really only a 40W amp?

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I pointed to COMPETATIVE market well executed amps. Not playing number games. Yes, the numbers on the PA5 are superb.
I stand by this little gem looks to be comparable IN USE to well executed 20W or so amps. GOOD amps. Ones listed for a lot more money.
I don't know why you think this is offensive. Do you know how much power you actually use for comfortable listening? Do you understand why Nelson Pass is so adamite about "the first watt"? Would I choose it to drive an Alexa V in a 500 sq ft room to concert levels? No. I might think the Benchmark marginal. Might it drive my Seas bookshelf's in my 200 sq ft living room for the constant pleasant music? Just maybe. If I was in an apartment where you can't drive to concert levels ( most of the world), it may be great. I ran a 10W Kenwood class A in my office for years. It could play louder than I could stand. Built a 6W tube, Again, fine.

Top Bottom