• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

wjp007

Last edited:

bsas

I might get (or build) a single ended to balanced converter (there's are good threads on AR on this).

You can DIY it for sure but I bought the AliExpress one based on the DRV134 chip and I am very happy with it. Another thread measured it and it does exactly what it should, which is basically not altering the sound at all. So, I recommend :D

Martinvb

An additional question, so how do people use a sub with this amp? Just use the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer. I would prefer the line level route but that means I need a preamp that has a subwoofer line level output. I haven't seen any balanced output preamps with a subwoofer line level output that are anywhere close to my budget.
You can e.g. hook up a (matching) Topping E50 to the PA5; you can connect the RCA out of the E50 to connect to a powered sub. The E50 can be set to drive both the balanced and unbalanced outputs at the same time. Tested this: works.

mario_rouge

Thanks for this. I ordered a pair of RCA to TS adapters. Wow. I was really surprised how great my LS50 Meta sound with these. What really surprised me was how much the sound enveloped me. It added depth and width. I was expecting better dynamics but didn't expect the spatial improvement. I do think I need to gain back the extra power by going single ended. I don't listen to music loud, but I have the volume set fairly high. I might get (or build) a single ended to balanced converter (there's are good threads on AR on this).

An additional question, so how do people use a sub with this amp? Just use the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer. I would prefer the line level route but that means I need a preamp that has a subwoofer line level output. I haven't seen any balanced output preamps with a subwoofer line level output that are anywhere close to my budget.
I have a smsl su9 that has both balanced and RCA output, as some users have explained to me in this forum, I connected the pa9 to the balanced output (xlr) of the dac and the subwoofer to the RCA output of the dac and I adjusted the crossover from the subwoofer. And then I use su9 in preamp mode.

pma

Major Contributor
You can DIY it for sure but I bought the AliExpress one based on the DRV134 chip and I am very happy with it.
DRV134 has very high output noise (-98dBu)

1641413592550.png

So you have very low noise amp PA5 and you kill its noise parameters by this DRV134 placed in front of the PA5.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Gad, how folks work so hard to mess things up. Problems that don't exist with fixes because it is this weeks catch word.
Buy more music.

wjp007

You can e.g. hook up a (matching) Topping E50 to the PA5; you can connect the RCA out of the E50 to connect to a powered sub. The E50 can be set to drive both the balanced and unbalanced outputs at the same time. Tested this: works.
Yes but the sub volume control will be independent of the PA5.

nagster

I just got the RCA to TRS mono plugs and tried it on my PA5. Works great. I don't see any of the tonal differences from changing the volume control mentioned in the other post.
Is it T=hot, R=G, S=G?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 176993
So you have very low noise amp PA5 and you kill its noise parameters by this DRV134 placed in front of the PA5.
How audible is -98dBu though in the average listening room? Especially given if you have very sensitive speakers, you're unlikely to need the extra 6dB gain this device is providing.

And what alternate device would you suggest?

bsas

View attachment 176993

I have the E50 and I use the TRS input. But, I was answering another post where the person is thinking about converting SE to balanced so he can keep his current favorite DAC. In my mind, if you are already converting from SE to TRS, the noise floor isn't a big concern, right? Also, -98 dBu is obviously not as good as the PA5 numbers but it is not bad considering the situation in my mind (barely audible if I am not mistaken).

bsas

Gad, how folks work so hard to mess things up. Problems that don't exist with fixes because it is this weeks catch word.
Buy more music.

Are you in a competition to be the most obnoxious replier in forums? If so, you are killing it!
The guy is just talking about converting unbalanced (SE) to balanced to keep his DAC and I just gave a equipment suggestion to do so. And what did any of your comments did to help? Answer: nothing.

wjp007

I think there will be an E50 in my future. It’s just $100 more than a RCA to balanced converter and will be the cleanest solution.

Max

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,
Just got my Pa5 and here is my short feedback if useful.
My global setup isn't optimal and isn't clearly easy to drive: inefficient speakers (86dB) in an asymetrical 4m×10m living room (with open kitchen) in a noisy flat (due to the street outside), the amp is fed by an unbalanced RCA DAC (2V max). And I usually listen to modern and classical music (piano solo) relatively quietly (so, not loud).
In brief: overall and in my described usecase, this amp is really great and has enough power even for classical music. It could lack some power for people listening to music loud or very loud, but no surprise with regard to its specifications and to my specific setup. In a few words: I really enjoy my best amp so far!

bsas

I think there will be an E50 in my future. It’s just $100 more than a RCA to balanced converter and will be the cleanest solution.

Yep, makes a lot of sense. I have the E50 but I still make use of the converter to play other unbalanced sources like my phono pre.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Seems like they have their labels wrong. 3 and 4 can't be balanced as they look like RCA.
Says the person who didn't read the linked page. It's a proprietary connector that they license royalty free, but so far nobody seems to have taken them up on it. They look like RCA and if you plug an RCA into them you will get a connection to hot and ground. There's a larger diameter contact between the hot and the ground for the cold which makes contact with their matching plug, but doesn't make contact with anything in a normal RCA plug.

IIRC the SPDIF uses one too so they can have input and output on the same connector.
I winder what they sell their proprietary cables for?
Not cheap, not totally outrageous. It does need factoring into the price of the DAC if you want to use it balanced though.
https://www.khadas.com/product-page/balanced-rca-to-xlr-3-converters
https://www.khadas.com/product-page/balanced-rca-connector

Top Bottom