• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the phase plot correct? FR is flat up to 10kHz and there is a -50° phase at 10kHz? -16° at 1kHz? Isn't there some delay (in the meas. setup)?
Turns out the delay wasn't removed quite right. I adjusted it manually to get this:
1640901044272.png

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What do you mean by "phase lead"? This is straight out of REW, all I did was adjust the time offset to remove constant slope.
Most other phase responses I have seen show the phase angle is negative for higher frequency, meaning the output of the amplifier lags the input signal. This is commensurate with a low pass filter response.

Could just be a convention thing.

Crosstalk

your dream come true :)
One of the best speakers in the world.
I just don't know if the B&W 800 didn't have ferrofluid in the tweeters. How does it work after all these years? Because I heard that ferrofluid can dry up.
Without ferrofluid it’s would still work. But not with the same response depends on if the response depends on the fluid per design

0bs3rv3r

Do I understand correctly, that beacause of the input sensitivity of 2.5 Volts, everything above an input of 2.5 Volts, will clip the signal?
If so, how can I be sure I limit my DAC to an output of 2.5 V?

You could find out, or measure, what the maximum output of your DAC is, and use simple resistive voltage dividers on each output to bring that down to 2.5V.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most other phase responses I have seen show the phase angle is negative for higher frequency, meaning the output of the amplifier lags the input signal. This is commensurate with a low pass filter response.

Could just be a convention thing.
That's just inverted polarity. I can flip it in REW by pushing a button.

bsas

Unfortunately your experience seems to contradict others I have read, and that's exactly why I ASR doesn't like subjective reports. It's weird how this thread seems to be asking for them now.

Well, I never said the amp wasn’t good. With the more efficient JBLs and sitting closer it sounds amazing.

My only observation was “it is underpowered FOR ME”. This is not subjective, it’s a fact, but also it’s not an universal truth… (and I never said it was)

JeffGB

Do I understand correctly, that beacause of the input sensitivity of 2.5 Volts, everything above an input of 2.5 Volts, will clip the signal?
If so, how can I be sure I limit my DAC to an output of 2.5 V?
This isn't really a thing because when your DAC hits 2.5v the amplifier is going to be wide open. If you simply don't turn it up to distortion, it will be fine, just like any other amplifier.

MarkWinston

Well, I never said the amp wasn’t good. With the more efficient JBLs and sitting closer it sounds amazing.

My only observation was “it is underpowered FOR ME”. This is not subjective, it’s a fact, but also it’s not an universal truth… (and I never said it was)
It is underpowered for you but the A07 has enough?

bsas

It is underpowered for you but the A07 has enough?

No, the A07 is a little underpowered for me too, but less than the PA5 and with a more defined bass… (don’t know why since the PA5 was supposed to be 65W at 8 ohms and the A07 is supposed to be 65W too).

To be honest I am testing a preamp before it and it helps a lot, but, I am probably crossing the 2Vrms threshold, so, very likely going into distortion.

Yaiba

No, the A07 is a little underpowered for me too, but less than the PA5 and with a more defined bass… (don’t know why since the PA5 was supposed to be 65W at 8 ohms and the A07 is supposed to be 65W too).

To be honest I am testing a preamp before it and it helps a lot, but, I am probably crossing the 2Vrms threshold, so, very likely going into distortion.
Are you use unbalanced connection to PA5 ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So if you are not giving the amp enough volts, (presumably from an unbalanced connection) you can't say it is underpowered - only that you are not driving it properly.

pma

Major Contributor
THD+N over frequency sweep:
What is the power and load? BTW, stepped sine method has better distortion resolution (lower noise floor) than the frequency sweep. But it seems you used the stepped sine.

MarkWinston

Purifi sounds better? Yeah, probably. Hypex outperforms it? Possible. A07 sounds better? Check what is wrong with your PA5 because that is not even possible. And I own the A07 with several PSUs. Not even close.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, measure the DC voltage at the PA5 outputs.
I have about 30 mV.
About 0.1mW into 8Ω / 0.2mW into 4Ω

Is that a problem? I've no idea what is typical for an audio amp.

EDIT: My pioneer AVR is measuring 37mV DC with no input.

Reactions: UAN
Top Bottom