• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

beagleman

Major Contributor
The more I read this thread, the more I want to go demo the Tune Tots.

Feels subversive.
You know what, being totally serious.

I would never buy these at anywhere near the price they are, but I think as I read more and read Amir's subjective review, again, I would for sure love to at least demo them.

Looking at the In room chart, they are really not bad at all, unless you factor in the huge price.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I would never buy these at anywhere near the price they are, but I think as I read more and read Amir's subjective review, again, I would for sure love to at least demo them.

Looking at the In room chart, they are really not bad at all, unless you factor in the huge price.

If I liked them, I'd buy them.

That being said, odds are that I'd probably not like them better than the Dynaudio Heritage Specials I already have, but you never know.

Most of the gear I own is already in a price/performance category that makes some ASR members foam at the mouth, so why not?

I'm already a sinner.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

I would not buy at retail price either.

I won't mind buying this for $1K a pair. So, to anyone here who thinks it is trash, if you somehow got a pair as gift, I wouldn't mind take it off your hands at a trash price.
; )

Last edited:

YSDR

The more I read this thread, the more I want to go demo the Tune Tots.

Feels subversive.
Ohh, if you can listen to this speaker, just try some DnB with serious bass! The Tune Tot will fart out, that's sure. :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Ohh, if you can listen to this speaker, just try some DnB with serious bass! The Tune Tot will fart out, that's sure. :)

Nah, I'm a bass player.

When I want to judge bass performance for what I care about, I use bass instrument recordings, either of myself or musicians I know.

It would probably still fart, though.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Factoring in price takes all the fun out of audio gear slutting.

My Raspberry Pi + Schiit Modius is a flawless Roon streaming endpoint, great performance for the price, and is zero fun.

YSDR

Looking at the In room chart, they are really not bad at all
The ASR in-room chart is still just a calculation, if Amir likes (or not) some speakers in his room, then why he not shows his actual measured in-room responses and then compare them to the calculated in-room responses? That would be interesting I think.

DanielT

Major Contributor
If I liked them, I'd buy them.

That being said, odds are that I'd probably not like them better than the Dynaudio Heritage Specials I already have, but you never know.

Most of the gear I own is already in a price/performance category that makes some ASR members foam at the mouth, so why not?

I'm already a sinner.
Buy them plus this one to power them:

Then you write a super subjective, super fuzzy review about the divine sound. It will teases the shit out of many. It will be invigorating to read.:)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Buy them plus this one to power them with:

Then you write a super subjective, super fuzzy review
about the divine sound here at ASR. It teases the shit out of many. It will be invigorating to read.:)

No, I just got a new amp that is much sexier than that ugly Hegel.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

It's x10 or x20 for speakers having better engeneering.
Mackie. Krk, presonus, Neumann, focal, infinity, jbl, revel, kef.....
Wake up!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah, I'm a bass player.

When I want to judge bass performance for what I care about, I use bass instrument recordings, either of myself or musicians I know.

It would probably still fart, though.
I LOATHE overdone bass. It's cheap FX that cheapens the audio experience. I want a contrabass to sound like that, not like a blue whale's mating call. The obsession with big bass is one of my biggest audio turnoffs. Just buy an effing cheap sub and dial it up to 100% and be satisfied when it rattles shit around it (but watch me walk out of your immature listening room if we're listening to quality music).
No effing musical instrument other than a few cathedral organs produce anything that resembles that obsessively demanded 20Hz tone. In fact 70Hz is perfectly sufficient for pretty much all acoustic music.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not begging, but you guys are the tune tot fans who are begging me to like it. Sorry guys, it’s garbage to me. But one guys garbage can be another man’s gem. For me gems are genelecs, revels and kefs. We are entitled to have our opinions. And this here is my opinion. You can continue to disagree.

Nobody is begging you to like the tune tots. That's a total strawman.

And I said I haven't even heard a Wilson speaker for years and don't know if they would appeal to me.

You were the one declaring the Tune Tots unequivocal garbage, that the designers didn't understand what they were doing, that you felt "sad" for anyone who would justify such a purchase, and telling OTHERS not to "feed" the people making these speakers by purchasing them, hence supporting bad speaker design.

If from the beginning you only argued along the lines: "I'm looking for a certain type of accurate speaker design, so these don't appeal to me" then we'd have skipped all this - too each his own, as you say one guy's garbage is another man's gem.

But that's not how you posted, which is how we got here.

I understand and respect your desire for genelecs, revels and Kefs. That totally makes sense given your own goals of accuracy and the latest offerings to that end.

Amirm's review of the Tune Tots is another excellent example of helping the reader "know more about what he'd be getting" in paying for those speakers. Where they land on anybody's value scale or how they fit a goal is going to be a personal evaluation, and can be just as valid per individual.

heflys20

You were the one declaring the Tune Tots unequivocal garbage, that the designers didn't understand what they were doing, that you felt "sad" for anyone who would justify such a purchase, and telling OTHERS not to "feed" the people making these speakers by purchasing them, hence supporting bad speaker design.
Not speaking for him, but I'm amused by the price vs performance. I, too, also assume that the designers either don't know what they're doing, or are intentionally deceptive. They spec the speaker as being 65-25khz +/-3db in the average room. I expect at $10k, they'd be able to accomplish this simple metric, but they fail at even that. I imagine most informed buyers (in regards to measurements) would likely skip these speakers, sans listening tests (they might find they enjoy them). Regardless, I'm certain that some (perhaps many) people will derive pleasure from these speakers eq'd or not. There's definitely nothing wrong with that. To each their own.

I'm appreciative of the discussion at least.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find this discussion thread fascinating because it shows the full range of the usual opinions on audio equipment... but it's being carried out -all in all- in a civilized way. As some that abhorred so much vitriol in other audiophile discussion forums, I want to commend every participant on that.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... spec the speaker as being 65-25khz +/-3db in the average room ...

I think they do it because customers have unrealistic expectations - but that's the manufacturer's fault, historically. I can't blame them, since there's still a market for $200k+ floorstanders that audio publications still perpetuate as the A+ ideal audio standard when combined with your anti-green 300W reference amp, which I think at this stage we all know is pretty much bull as of 2010. There has been zero actualization in audiophile circles around the power of newer setup options.

Robin L

Master Contributor
What am I going to look at when listening to music if not the amp? It's right in the middle! ;)
If you made it a home theater, you could cover all that ugly crap with the ugly crap on the giant screen!

Vall

Dear members of ASR,

Since more than a year I REALLY love ASR, considering that I even write my masters thesis on sound reproduction for educational sciences and i got some great insights from this forum! Thank you for that! Although I’ll still read in ASR, this thread makes me really sad and confused: So many speaker just measured better - i get that the price is not included in the scoring - but for me this whole debate feels like going back to zero where I startet some months ago (intellectually): Complete „Luxury-Audio-Nirvana-Voodoo-Land“. To be honest, I feel kind of depressed, that - for me - this beloved website and forum lost its nimbus of a purely science-driven approach.

Top Bottom