• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Dear members of ASR,

Since more than a year I REALLY love ASR, considering that I even write my masters thesis on sound reproduction for educational sciences and i got some great insights from this forum! Thank you for that! Although I’ll still read in ASR, this thread makes me really sad and confused: So many speaker just measured better - i get that the price is not included in the scoring - but for me this whole debate feels like going back to zero where I startet some months ago (intellectually): Complete „Luxury-Audio-Nirvana-Voodoo-Land“. To be honest, I feel kind of depressed, that - for me - this beloved website and forum lost its nimbus of a purely science-driven approach.

So Amir killed Christmas by disappointing kids and making them depressed.

Smells trolly. ;)

Robin L

Master Contributor
What's a "Nimbus"?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Halo, in this context.
Doesn't that breach some Science/Mythos barrier/shield?
Isn't Nimbus the CD label/pressing plant with all the laser rot?

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Mommy, all Santa left me was a Tune Tots recommendation and a lump of coal..."

"Was I a bad kid?"
No Tommy, that's a "magic" lump of coal. Sez so, right on the package. You can trust these guys---they're on the square.

Crosstalk

Nobody is begging you to like the tune tots. That's a total strawman.

And I said I haven't even heard a Wilson speaker for years and don't know if they would appeal to me.

You were the one declaring the Tune Tots unequivocal garbage, that the designers didn't understand what they were doing, that you felt "sad" for anyone who would justify such a purchase, and telling OTHERS not to "feed" the people making these speakers by purchasing them, hence supporting bad speaker design.

If from the beginning you only argued along the lines: "I'm looking for a certain type of accurate speaker design, so these don't appeal to me" then we'd have skipped all this - too each his own, as you say one guy's garbage is another man's gem.

But that's not how you posted, which is how we got here.

I understand and respect your desire for genelecs, revels and Kefs. That totally makes sense given your own goals of accuracy and the latest offerings to that end.

Amirm's review of the Tune Tots is another excellent example of helping the reader "know more about what he'd be getting" in paying for those speakers. Where they land on anybody's value scale or how they fit a goal is going to be a personal evaluation, and can be just as valid per individual.
Still it’s garbage to me. And garbage from an engineering stand point. May not be for ignorant guys with money who bought it and need a chorus to support or validate their decision on a forum where the opposite is the standard. I kind of enjoy the creative justification going on here.

By the way it’s amazing to know that a two pieces of kitchen scrubbers are needed to save a 10k speaker to sound like a 50 dollar speaker with eq!

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nah, I'm a bass player.

When I want to judge bass performance for what I care about, I use bass instrument recordings, either of myself or musicians I know.

It would probably still fart, though.

So for you a pair of speakers must also have the get up and slappa da bass factor?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow the 50+ pages of discussions remind me of something...

One of the main stories claimed that the Pythia delivered oracles in a frenzied state induced by vapours rising from a chasm in the rock, and that she spoke gibberish which priests interpreted as the enigmatic prophecies and turned them into poetic dactylic hexameters preserved in Greek literature.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia

I am imagining now how Amir enjoys his deserved holidays and laughs watching the ASR traffic going high with no real effort compared to his laborious measurements.

Vall

D
So Amir killed Christmas by disappointing kids and making them depressed.

Smells trolly. ;)
Not Amir and his review, which I trust a 100% to be based on pure science an training, I‘m addressing my own uncertainty after reading this review and the conversation in this subforum. It really makes me uncertain if I understand facts in a way they are supposed to be understood… If that makes any sense.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Somehow the 50+ pages of discussions remind me of something...

One of the main stories claimed that the Pythia delivered oracles in a frenzied state induced by vapours rising from a chasm in the rock, and that she spoke gibberish which priests interpreted as the enigmatic prophecies and turned them into poetic dactylic hexameters preserved in Greek literature.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia

I am imagining now how Amir enjoys his deserved holidays and laughs watching the ASR traffic going high with no real effort compared to his laborious measurements.
I'm thinking those vapors were solder fumes.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

It's a good narrative twist, a surprise reveal, to keep the fans reading and engaged.

Cheap DAC reviews were getting predictable and boring.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not Amir and his review, which I trust a 100% to be based on pure science an training, I‘m addressing my own uncertainty after reading this review and the conversation in this subforum. It really makes me uncertain if I understand facts in a way they are supposed to be understood… If that makes any sense.

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 3.51.12 PM.png

Crosstalk

It's a good narrative twist, a surprise reveal, to keep the fans reading and engaged.

Cheap DAC reviews were getting predictable and boring.
Yeah let’s get back to that bass bump and foam fix. So where is the graph which shows it can be fixed ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Imo looks will always be secondary for most of the audiophile that why they are "audiophiles" or else they could have well be called audioart lover. Isn't it ?

Then why are they so resistant to controlled testing, where they can't see what box is doing what?

They like to say it's all about the sound, but if that were true, they'd make it all about the sound.

For too many, it is about believing that they get to experience something special that others without the often considerable means required cannot.

What am I going to look at when listening to music if not the amp? It's right in the middle! ;)

The cat on the amp...obviously...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you made it a home theater, you could cover all that ugly crap with the ugly crap on the giant screen!

My 708P's definitely look their best when behind the screen.

When it comes time for speakers I'll have to look at, the Harman score won't be the most important thing.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still it’s garbage to me. And garbage from an engineering stand point. May not be for ignorant guys with money who bought it and need a chorus to support or validate their decision on a forum where the opposite is the standard. I kind of enjoy the creative justification going on here.

By the way it’s amazing to know that a two pieces of kitchen scrubbers are needed to save a 10k speaker to sound like a 50 dollar speaker with eq!

It's pretty much the type of derisive attitude you are bringing that turn some people off a site like this (who otherwise may have got something out of it). Basically, anyone who doesn't agree with you is a dupe.

Funny how you have come to this forum, slagging those who would give any props to the Tune Tots, in the very thread where the owner of the forum recommendation them after reviewing the measurements and on sound quality (as, once equalized, they performed more impressively than the Revel speakers to which he compared them, to his ears).

But...you know better. And that's ok. ;-)

Robin L

Master Contributor
"There are people in this world who do not love their fellow men.

And I HATE people like that!"

Tom Lerher

Top Bottom