• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Part of it may be design of cars. The increase in aerodynamic flow has managed to blow most insects OVER the cars nowadays. There may also be less insects, but in fact the more laminar flow means less things clobbering your car's windshield.
As a racing car aerodynamicist of 30+ years experience I am pretty sure this won't be significant. The difference in mass between the insects and air means it is unlikely the flow over a windscreen would be likely to carry significantly more insects over.
The plumes of water in wet motor races are not evidence of airflow direction either.
Academic studies have shown a catastroiphic decline in insect species and quantity in the UK since the 1950s, the windscreen effect is simply the evidence.

kongwee

Major Contributor
In my tropical country, we have to kill birds to control population. Killing insect with professional is normal.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is worrying the decline is catastrophic,

Absolutely! In public, the extent of this catastrophe is not nearly as present as the climate crisis.
In the history of the earth, there have been five major mass extinctions of species so far.
  1. Ordovician-Silurian extinction event (around 439 million years ago) - This extinction event was caused by a combination of factors, including glaciation, sea level changes, and volcanic activity. It is estimated that up to 85% of marine species were lost.
  2. Late Devonian extinction (around 364 million years ago) - This extinction event was likely caused by a combination of climate change, anoxic events (lack of oxygen), and possibly asteroid impacts. Around 70% of marine species were lost.
  3. Permian-Triassic extinction event (around 252 million years ago) - This is the most severe extinction event in Earth's history, with an estimated 96% of all species going extinct. It is thought to have been caused by massive volcanic eruptions, which led to global warming, acid rain, and other environmental changes.
  4. Triassic-Jurassic extinction event (around 201 million years ago) - This extinction event is thought to have been caused by massive volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, and/or climate change. Around 80% of species went extinct, particularly marine and terrestrial reptiles.
  5. Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event (around 66 million years ago) - This is the most well-known extinction event, as it is believed to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. It was likely caused by an asteroid impact, which triggered massive environmental changes such as wildfires and a "nuclear winter" effect. Up to 75% of all species were lost.
In science, it is assumed that mankind and nature is currently in the sixth mass extinction - Holocene extinction. This time it is caused by mankind (land consumption, population growth, use of pesticides, climate crisis,...) and the speed with which species are being wiped out since the nineteenth century is breathtaking (up to 1000 times faster then the natural extinction rate without human kind).
  1. A study published in the journal Nature in 2014 found that current extinction rates are 1,000 times higher than they would be without human influence, and that vertebrate species are going extinct at a rate that is 114 times higher than the background rate of extinction. The study also found that large-bodied species, such as elephants and rhinos, are particularly at risk. (Source: Ceballos, Ehrlich, & Dirzo, 2014)
  2. Another study published in the journal Science Advances in 2017 found that around one-third of all species are now threatened with extinction, including many species that were previously considered to be at low risk. The study also found that species that are most vulnerable to extinction tend to be those with small geographic ranges and those that are specialized in their habitat or diet. (Source: Ceballos et al., 2017)
  3. A study published in the journal Science in 2019 found that insect populations are declining at an alarming rate, with an estimated 40% of all insect species at risk of extinction. The study attributed this decline to habitat loss, pesticide use, and climate change. (Source: Wagner, et al., 2019)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
22 miles range. As the bird flies, my commute is 5 miles each way. I suppose I could make a helipad atop my roof. Beef up the building a bit in the process. The video is also direct propaganda from the CCP, so not a word of it can actually be trusted. Someday this will be possible.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are activities on the eVTOL front outside of China.

This one has a range of 250 nm nautical miles.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
22 miles range. As the bird flies, my commute is 5 miles each way. I suppose I could make a helipad atop my roof. Beef up the building a bit in the process. The video is also direct propaganda from the CCP, so not a word of it can actually be trusted. Someday this will be possible.
The evtol in the clip, one of them is eHang. Appear in lots of countries. My country has a demo study on them too. Appear in US also.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no way I would fly in one of those oversized drone copters. One mistake and you are toast.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely! In public, the extent of this catastrophe is not nearly as present as the climate crisis.
In the history of the earth, there have been five major mass extinctions of species so far.
  1. Ordovician-Silurian extinction event (around 439 million years ago) - This extinction event was caused by a combination of factors, including glaciation, sea level changes, and volcanic activity. It is estimated that up to 85% of marine species were lost.
  2. Late Devonian extinction (around 364 million years ago) - This extinction event was likely caused by a combination of climate change, anoxic events (lack of oxygen), and possibly asteroid impacts. Around 70% of marine species were lost.
  3. Permian-Triassic extinction event (around 252 million years ago) - This is the most severe extinction event in Earth's history, with an estimated 96% of all species going extinct. It is thought to have been caused by massive volcanic eruptions, which led to global warming, acid rain, and other environmental changes.
  4. Triassic-Jurassic extinction event (around 201 million years ago) - This extinction event is thought to have been caused by massive volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, and/or climate change. Around 80% of species went extinct, particularly marine and terrestrial reptiles.
  5. Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event (around 66 million years ago) - This is the most well-known extinction event, as it is believed to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. It was likely caused by an asteroid impact, which triggered massive environmental changes such as wildfires and a "nuclear winter" effect. Up to 75% of all species were lost.
In science, it is assumed that mankind and nature is currently in the sixth mass extinction - Holocene extinction. This time it is caused by mankind (land consumption, population growth, use of pesticides, climate crisis,...) and the speed with which species are being wiped out since the nineteenth century is breathtaking (up to 1000 times faster then the natural extinction rate without human kind).
  1. A study published in the journal Nature in 2014 found that current extinction rates are 1,000 times higher than they would be without human influence, and that vertebrate species are going extinct at a rate that is 114 times higher than the background rate of extinction. The study also found that large-bodied species, such as elephants and rhinos, are particularly at risk. (Source: Ceballos, Ehrlich, & Dirzo, 2014)
  2. Another study published in the journal Science Advances in 2017 found that around one-third of all species are now threatened with extinction, including many species that were previously considered to be at low risk. The study also found that species that are most vulnerable to extinction tend to be those with small geographic ranges and those that are specialized in their habitat or diet. (Source: Ceballos et al., 2017)
  3. A study published in the journal Science in 2019 found that insect populations are declining at an alarming rate, with an estimated 40% of all insect species at risk of extinction. The study attributed this decline to habitat loss, pesticide use, and climate change. (Source: Wagner, et al., 2019)
Somehow I don't think driving EV's instead of petroleum powered cars will fix this. I would note that the world has survived 5 previous major mass extinction events. It will likely survive this latest threat. Of course roaches and termites will be the dominant species when it is over.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This has been perhaps mentioned or discussed in the course of this very, very interesting discussion:

EFFICIENCY

Let us put aside the theoretical considerations of a "perfect" Internal Combustion Engine such as the fabled Carnot Engine. The ICE in any car or truck or boat or Generator or ... , has an efficiency which would be at best, 30%... You put this ICE in a vehicle and the efficiency of the vehicle, that is the ratio of energy in the tank to energy available to move the vehicle falls to 20% if you are extraordinarily lucky. The rest is wasted, in unusable heat... That is the current reality of the V-12 Ferrari or of the Prius when it is on ICE.
We are thus consuming a finite resources, and wasting 80% of it... Let put aside global warning for a few seconds aside, it is difficult to accept this as rational.

On the other hand, an electric motor can very easily approach 70% efficiency in most of its power output range. Even outside that range it hovers around 50%...
On top of that it is perfectly possible to use Solar Energy that should be available for at least Five more billions of years ... At the present (2023) solar panels efficiency is a bit low, less than 25%... It should hit 40% in the next five years... It is entirely possible, actually many are doing it, to have a car and "fill it up" with .. the sun rays.... in most part of the World.

To me that is compelling. The rest of the discussion is clouded with politics and ingrained thoughts. Yes, we had ICE. It changed the world. Petrol has a outsized on Geopolitics. English people would talk about James Watt, the French may remember Denis Papin .. Whomever made the first ICE ... it has been part of our progress, brought us the modernity we all are enjoying. The time has come for a different type of engine. Sustainability may mandate it.
ICE may continue to exist for other purposes among these Electricity Generation ;), but EV... IMHO, just make more sense.

Peace.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow I don't think driving EV's instead of petroleum powered cars will fix this. I would note that the world has survived 5 previous major mass extinction events. It will likely survive this latest threat. Of course roaches and termites will be the dominant species when it is over.
By biomass at the surface ants and termites by a mile. Maybe bacteria in total though mostly subsurface. Biomass for plants is far beyond everything else by like a factor of 10.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This has been perhaps mentioned or discussed in the course of this very, very interesting discussion:

EFFICIENCY

Let us put aside the theoretical considerations of a "perfect" Internal Combustion Engine such as the fabled Carnot Engine. The ICE in any car or truck or boat or Generator or ... , has an efficiency which would be at best, 30%... You put this ICE in a vehicle and the efficiency of the vehicle, that is the ratio of energy in the tank to energy available to move the vehicle falls to 20% if you are extraordinarily lucky. The rest is wasted, in unusable heat... That is the current reality of the V-12 Ferrari or of the Prius when it is on ICE.
We are thus consuming a finite resources, and wasting 80% of it... Let put aside global warning for a few seconds aside, it is difficult to accept this as rational.

On the other hand, an electric motor can very easily approach 70% efficiency in most of its power output range. Even outside that range it hovers around 50%...
On top of that it is perfectly possible to use Solar Energy that should be available for at least Five more billions of years ... At the present (2023) solar panels efficiency is a bit low, less than 25%... It should hit 40% in the next five years... It is entirely possible, actually many are doing it, to have a car and "fill it up" with .. the sun rays.... in most part of the World.

To me that is compelling. The rest of the discussion is clouded with politics and ingrained thoughts. Yes, we had ICE. It changed the world. Petrol has a outsized on Geopolitics. English people would talk about James Watt, the French may remember Denis Papin .. Whomever made the first ICE ... it has been part of our progress, brought us the modernity we all are enjoying. The time has come for a different type of engine. Sustainability may mandate it.
ICE may continue to exist for other purposes among these Electricity Generation ;), but EV... IMHO, just make more sense.

Peace.
One nit picky point. Papin, Newcomen, and Watt were using steam engines which are external combustion. De Rivaz had the first known ICE. Used hydrogen.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One nit picky point. Papin, Newcomen, and Watt were using steam engines which are external combustion. De Rivaz had the first known ICE. Used hydrogen.
True That!! The first steam engine were indeed external combustion engines (ECE? :)).
Didn't know about De Rivaz. Will research him.

Damn! I love ASR!

Peace.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had 4 bird impacts in cars and one on a motorcycle
I laughed when I got to your last word.:oops:
Our high school driver's ed. never taught us what exactly we are to do when we see this:

202303_FallingDeerZone.png
Or this:
202303_FallingDeerZone2.png

My front wheel had a meeting with a softball-size rock on a twisty mountain road (Routes18/138).
To this day, I have never figured out whether it is wiser to go faster or slower upon seeing these warning signs.
However, I did learn why BMW makes their motorcycle wheels out of softer (i.e. aluminum) alloys...
A bent front wheel is always safer than one that is cracked, especially for a m/c

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom