• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Car battery pulsing

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of my chargers have a choice for AGM in maintenance mode. My father had several cars with the Optimas, and I don't know why, but they do seem to be lasting less well than when they built their reputation. You can always go with the Lithium automotive batteries. They go for about double the yellow tops.

Also despite supposedly not doing so, in cars not driven often, Battery Tenders can overcharge them a bit, making acid leaks more likely in non-AGMs. A simple fix is to put them on a timer. One that can be set for days of the week. Set it to only run the Battery Tender one day a week. Plenty to keep the battery well charged up even with some computers pulling on it, yet it prevents gradual over-charging. You probably would be okay even 12 hrs a week. Or you can use a 24 hour timer and only run the Tender 3 hrs a day.

Top Bottom