• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You need specific wire construction in a power cable to cover full spectrum

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As this product was mentioned some times ago only in some replies, I think it "deserves" its own thread as well as your attention.
Company: PS audio / product: PerfectWave power cables
This range includes 3 types, ranging from "budget" to best (most expensive) - AC3, AC5 & AC12.
Differences include copper type used (OFC -> Linear crystal -> PCOCC single crystal), shielding (single -> dual -> quad), wire gauge and connectors coating (nickel -> gold).
Well, I don't mind much for that, let everyone have whatever overkills wished for money.
But what catches my attention most, is what all this range have in common:
Hollow tube conductors for treble performance
Rectangular conductors for midrange performance
Multiple gauge conductors for bass performance

That's really fascinating, what do you think?
Here some pictures:

AC3_insides__09151.1392060674.1280.1280.jpg

AC-Group.jpg

I even found white paper for it. Plan to read it when being tired with my life...

They don't provide measurements, but what is that needed for when you got a patent for it?
I think fully sufficient is their claim even for the cheapest version: "Equipment powered with an AC3 enjoy a significant improvement in sound quality over any stock power cable."

PS: I am really sorry to put it in this category, I haven't found a "proper one" for cables, isn't it missing? :)

Attachments

• ps-audio-perfectwave-ac12-mains-power-lead1.jpg
    ps-audio-perfectwave-ac12-mains-power-lead1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 257

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wonder how they terminate all those wires inside the plug?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snark Meter.gif

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I even found white paper for it. Plan to read it when being tired with my life...

You can stop here, surprisingly typical uncreative BS.

For example, we know from years of experience that if we compare the performance of a 12 gauge stranded power cable vs. the performance of a 12 gauge solid core power cable, the differences are immediately obvious even to the untrained listener.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As this product was mentioned some times ago only in some replies, I think it "deserves" its own thread as well as your attention.
Company: PS audio / product: PerfectWave power cables
This range includes 3 types, ranging from "budget" to best (most expensive) - AC3, AC5 & AC12.
Differences include copper type used (OFC -> Linear crystal -> PCOCC single crystal), shielding (single -> dual -> quad), wire gauge and connectors coating (nickel -> gold).
Well, I don't mind much for that, let everyone have whatever overkills wished for money.

That's really fascinating, what do you think?
Here some pictures:

View attachment 55939

View attachment 55940

They don't provide measurements, but what is that needed for when you got a patent for it?
I think fully sufficient is their claim even for the cheapest version: "Equipment powered with an AC3 enjoy a significant improvement in sound quality over any stock power cable."

PS: I am really sorry to put it in this category, I haven't found a "proper one" for cables, isn't it missing? :)

PS Audio really missed the boat on this one. They got circular and rectangular conductors, but no triangles! At least one-third of the veils remain unlifted as the result.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

No, it is not needed nor desired.

You could put it in Audio Electronics and Hardware sub-forum but here is probably as appropriate.

If a cable includes filtering in the connector you could argue it matters. If not, then it is part of a very long current loop from the source at some power station that ends at your component, and the plug into the wall and wiring in your house let alone all the rest of it obviates whatever the power cord might do. If it is sized to provide sufficient current for the component then you are done.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1585340151571.png

I like how they show us a late 90's CG render instead of a picture of the actual crosssection, lol...

Or perhaps even earlier -- I think that cable'd look positively fetching connected to the fanciful pseudo-Marantz receiver in this delightfully analog, disco-era catalog cover art! :)

GMMcatalog by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to write a white paper and remove all doubt. - Twain, paraphrased

(I have a table made from a bar stool at a bar in Hannibal he frequented, family connection to the bar, not really to Clemens.)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to write a white paper and remove all doubt. - Twain, paraphrased

(I have a table made from a bar stool at a bar in Hannibal he frequented, family connection to the bar, not really to Clemens.)
Especially now , what a waste of white paper .. still maybe it's not too late to repurpose it.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about these. But I'm actually going to wait until PS Audio releases the AC24 model. In addition to the bass, midrange, and treble performance listed above the AC24 model includes:
  • unobtainium conductors for upper treble.
  • diamond filament conductors for lower mids.
  • kryptonite conductors for sub-bass.
Sure, $875 per foot isn't cheap but just think of the increased musicality!

Top Bottom