• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 136 77.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
A Bread Slicer perhaps, an flat spectrum Nutral Speaker it is not. Working the Weekends again Amir? Weekends are for Michelob and Smoked Salmon ! Thanks for the review though. ;)

You must have been brutal to work for back in the day. I can’t imagine what it would be like to work for a workaholic. Oh hell, never mind :facepalm: I work for you now?

Last edited:

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I simply say i dont trust all these averagings though they wear the Klippel label, as i didn't trust the sauce they used at Stereophile either, nor even care too much about the Harmann sauce. I like to experiment,
Translation : I only trust my own ears, even if they may be inperfect and flawed. And I'll say this : if you have to screw around with speaker placement and positioning to a crazy degree, rest assured it's not a good speaker. Many of the best speakers that I have ever heard, you plop them down in front of you STRAIGHT AHEAD 2m apart, set your ass down in your listening chair in the middle 2m away, and just listen.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Are you the designer by any chance?
Toni,

Can you answer this question please? Are you associated with this company or business in any capacity?

Your cooperation is appreciated.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather say the ability to critize which is more important to my eyes, and not simply accept what is written, whatever the autority of the writer

Your problem is not science. Rather, your problem is that your own claims and arguments lack any basic logical consistency. For example:

1. Here you say you do not want to "simply accept what is written, whatever the authority of the writer." But you have not been talking about the authority of the writer - you have been talking about science. And the entire point of scientific measurements is that the authority of the writer is irrelevant. Klippel measurement, like any scientific measurement, is not scientific simply because it's based on technology or it's a "system." It's scientific because it's repeatable - anyone with a Klippel and basic knowledge of how to operate it can measure these speakers and the result will be somewhere between very similar and identical. So if you don't want to just take @amirm 's word for it, the reasonable response to that is not simply to stick your fingers in your ears (so to speak) and say "I refuse to believe it," but rather to check out another review that also uses Klippel/spinorama measurements (or a similarly reliable measurement technique) and see whether Amir's measurements here are confirmed or contradicted.

2. If you suspect that this speaker will sound better/"right" at about 20 degrees off-axis, then you can just look at the spinorama graph's 20-degree off-axis frequency response line, which is clearly shown in the review and reproduced in @sarumbear 's comment above. That response line looks quite poor also, which gives no confidence that the speaker will sound any better 20 degrees off-axis. Also, keep in mind that if you listen 20 degrees off-axis, then 20 degrees off axis of that new listening orientation will be equivalent to: (a) 0 degrees and (b) 40 degrees. Well, the 0-degree response is also already in Amir's graph - it's of course the on-axis response. And it's poor. So the only missing response line is the 40 degree off-axis line, and even for that we have the 30-degree off-axis response line, which shows response very similar in its basic character to all the others. So the odds that the speaker's 40 degree off-axis measurement would somehow be radically different than the 0, 10, 20, and 30 degree measurements - and that it would have the opposite peaks and dips that could meaningfully start to mitigate the response problems of this speaker, are very slim odds to say the least.

So you are not exercising your ability to criticize. You're simply ignoring facts and refusing to believe anything that doesn't suit your preferences.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The last one is an estimate, another sauce that i do not know the ingredients nor the taste. I prefer the real thing and choose my own condiments.
You can read it. It’s not a secret sauce. It’s fully described. Ignorance is not an excuse.

The former is useful to apreciate the directivity , but i simply ask for the typical 0° 15° 30° 45° curves which make easier apreciate their smoothness off axis
Where do you see any smoothness, anywhere, certainly not off-axis. May I suggest you have a crash course on reading those standard charts.

You ask for charts that you like to see, but you are not even willing to support the forum which offers you industry standard charts for free. Isn’t that a bad look?

These are included in the Zip enclosed, but had problems to import due to formatting issues
You seem to have problem with many things used in modern science…

Toni Mas

Translation : I only trust my own ears, even if they may be inperfect and flawed. And I'll say this : if you have to screw around with speaker placement and positioning to a crazy degree, rest assured it's not a good speaker. Many of the best speakers that I have ever heard, you plop them down in front of you STRAIGHT AHEAD 2m apart, set your ass down in your listening chair in the middle 2m away, and just
Sure, my ears are God and make the final judgement, but i also make measurements trying to keep them satisfied...:p

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, my ears are God and make the final judgement, but i also make measurements trying to keep them satisfied...:p

If you have heard these speakers and enjoyed them, just say so. If you have not heard them, then your ears are irrelevant because in that case you are questioning these measurements and the entire concept and overwhelming documentation (including studies of listener preference!), based on literally nothing.

Toni Mas

Toni,

Can you answer this question please? Are you associated with this company or business in any capacity?

Your cooperation is appreciated.
My vote has been poor but i am not so sure. What i am sure about is that i dont trust the Klippel sauce.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Care to show us those measurements?

Toni Mas

You can read it. It’s not a secret sauce. It’s fully described. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Where do you see any smoothness, anywhere, certainly not off-axis. May I suggest you have a crash course on reading those standard charts.

You ask for charts that you like to see, but you are not even willing to support the forum which offers you industry standard charts for free. Isn’t that a bad look?

You seem to have problem with many things used in modern science…
As i have with religión...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My vote has been poor but i am not so sure. What i am sure about is that i dont trust the Klippel sauce.
What measurement do you trust then?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When you write "Klippel sauce," my reaction is to assume that you don't understand what Klippel is doing or what principles it's based on, so you call it "sauce" to cover over your lack of understanding and make it seem like there's something secretive, suspect, or opaque about the Klippel measurement.

Now, my assumption about your lack of understanding could be mistaken. So if I'm wrong, please explain what you think the Klippel system does and what principles and concepts it's based on. Thanks!

AdamG

Forum Donor
Are you associated with this company or business in any capacity?
My question. Benefit of the doubt due to a possible language barrier here.
Your answer? One more time Sir. Are you affiliated with this Speaker, any of its components or the sales of same?

CapMan

Major Contributor
It also looks to me like the badge on the back is slightly wonky :)

AdamG

Forum Donor
Nope, sadly the truth.
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with what ASR is and does. Here is a list to Amir’s Teaching Video Series. Amir covers every measurement and how to interpret the results. I am going to give you a time out for responding to this thread. No hard feelings from our family here. But we are a Community who focus on the Engineering and Science side of Music Reproduction. We don’t place much value or importance on people’s opinions of what they think they are hearing unless they have measurements that validate their opinions. Enjoy the videos Sir. ;)

Top Bottom