• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTF is happening?! What Hi-Fi? is now publishing measurements?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
HE ISN'T?!?!?

Well I , for one, am OUT! Good day Sirs. Bloody catfish
Heck, I think I got ripped off. BDWoody told me Amir was a hot asian woman who loved old giant bellied Balding white guys from the US. All I had to do was send him Mr Woody $300 a month for 12 months and I would get a date with her. Now I find out Amir is not a hot asian babe? I'm shocked! Once again I was taken advantage of due to my incessant need to look for a hot babe who likes old, bald, fat white guys. Maybe I'm just looking for fools gold. Most likely no such woman exists. Dang it! Where is SAL when I need him to be my wing man?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just reading my news feed this morning and ended on the new Focal Kanta 3 review by What Hi-fi?

I was just thinking: "OK, another blablabla five star review (though non British speakers;))" then I found the review unusually long for their editing style. I scrolled down a bit and... I've got a heart attack. A graph? On What Hi-fi?! o_O
next milestone: WhatHiFi publishes the first set of bad measurements.
even more wild: WhatHiFi publishes a 'review' containing a single non-laudatory adjective

That "Newport Lab" might just be someone who can produce 'nice' measurements on request..

Willem

Major Contributor
I find some of the responses surprising. We always say we want more data and measurements. Here was a publication that for many years provided them, and instead of showing some appreciation we get ridicule and innuendo.
That Australian publication was bought up by Whathifi who are indeed little more than an advertorial publisher, so one can wonder what the impact is or will be on the Australian publication. But that does not diminish the value of what we have here.

Graham849

Forum Donor
I find some of the responses surprising. We always say we want more data and measurements. Here was a publication that for many years provided them, and instead of showing some appreciation we get ridicule and innuendo.
That Australian publication was bought up by Whathifi who are indeed little more than an advertorial publisher, so one can wonder what the impact is or will be on the Australian publication. But that does not diminish the value of what we have here.
There is a problem that

1)Newport Test has no web presence except for magazine quotes and pdfs from manufacturers of magazine reviews

2)Business registrations link Newport test and Australian Hifi to same address

3)Other persona linked to business registration and residence have almost no internet presence. Maybe they want privacy.

There is no way of contacting Newport Lab Test as far as I can ascertain, it appears to be a convenient apparatus for Australian Hifi to maintain a claim of separation from testing apart from reviewing.

RestorerJohn may have some more insight.

Cheers g

al2002

Well said.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL - their attemept to sound technical is simply patehtic. :facepalm:

Btw, look at the front port resonance (light blue) proudly singing at 650Hz only 22dB quiter than the midrange driver, but they didn't mention it..

index.php
Port resonance is the elephant in the room when you design bass reflex.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm shocked! Once again I was taken advantage of due to my incessant need to look for a hot babe who likes old, bald, fat white guys. Maybe I'm just looking for fools gold. Most likely no such woman exists. Dang it! Where is SAL when I need him to be my wing man?
Naw,, there's plenty out there! All you need do is BluTac a $1,000 bill to your forehead and walk around Ft Lauderdale beach, they'll find you!
Groucho Marx and George Burns always claimed "a man is only as old as the women on his arm? :p

Top Bottom