• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTF is happening?! What Hi-Fi? is now publishing measurements?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Am I the only one here who has heard of newport test labs before ASR existed

mansr

Major Contributor
Am I the only one here who has heard of newport test labs before ASR existed
I hadn't taken notice of it until it was mentioned here. Maybe that's because there really is no such thing. It is clearly just what Australian Hifi calls their measurement rig, not some big science lab with government accreditation as the moniker was no doubt intended to give the impression of. To be clear, I am not saying their results are poor (I haven't looked at them closely), only that pretending to be something you're not is silly and pretentious.

Music1969

Major Contributor
To be clear, I am not saying their results are poor (I haven't looked at them closely)

I was going to point you to their DragonFly measurements which used to be accessible on avhub.com.au (since you've measured that on CA Forum) but all links redirect to WhatHiFi. So there goes that idea.

mansr

Major Contributor
I was going to point you to their DragonFly measurements which used to be accessible on avhub.com.au (since you've measured that on CA Forum) but all links redirect to WhatHiFi. So there goes that idea.
Are their results fundamentally different from mine?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Are their results fundamentally different from mine?

LOL i can't remember, that's why I googled it to try to point you to it.

I only remember they did measure it years ago - I can't remember the specific results though.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I do recall they said it was sensitive to computer noise... and showed some measurement about it.

That's the only thing that I still remember about that measurement.

GelbeMusik

Actually, I'm not amused by correcting Your perspective. The 650Hz are not "made" by the port and add on to the music or whatever. It is so, that ... I leave it to You, to scientifically add 0dB +( - 22dB ) = x dB.

Oh keh, no result yet. It is 22dB down, adding amplitudes of 0dB and -22dB:

A = 20 * log10( 1 + 10 ^ ( - 22 / 20 ) ) = + 0,67 dB

But only if these contribution are same phase, which You would not expect from a resonant coupling and of course not in every direction.

It is fun to discuss audio. But times a reality check is in order. You told me in anothet thread I shall read "the book": First I did already, but what do You think I might gain from the literature? What is Your imagination, when You ask me to read the book? I hope we are on the same page regarding this issue.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Could be true. But if he exists, at least this thread will give him a really good laugh.

There are people on other forums that actually believe amir is an Asian woman.

It doesn't matter either way to me. Measurements are measurements. Share different results and discuss - or don't.

It's a little strange to read this fascination now when 'Steve Holding' has published 6 years of measurements for that mag.

Do you apply that practise period to homeopaths as a measure of competence?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Do you apply that practise period to homeopaths as a measure of competence?

Sticking to a relevant example, I don't care who Archimago is - whether he is a she or a collective.

I enjoy Archimago's objective analysis in things related to audio... I'm not alone in this regard....

mansr

Major Contributor
Sticking to a relevant example, I don't care who Archimago is - whether he is a she or a collective.

I enjoy Archimago's objective analysis in things related to audio... I'm not alone in this regard....
Which part of "Archimago doesn't pretend to be a science lab" do you not comprehend?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Which part of "Archimago doesn't pretend to be a science lab" do you not comprehend?

You've imagined and run with this idea that Steve Holding is pretending to be a science lab?

Any objective data?

And speaking of comprehension, who cares who or what 'Steve Holding' is....

This obsession is hilarious.

mansr

Major Contributor
You've imagined and run with this idea that Steve Holding is pretending to be a science lab?

Any objective data?
A few things:
  1. The name Newport Test Labs sure sounds like something serious.
  2. A Google search for the name turns up no website, business listing, or contact info.
  3. The name is only ever mentioned in Australian Hi-Fi magazine.
  4. http://newporttestlabs.com/ redirects to What Hi-Fi.
That is practically the definition of pretending.

If they presented the measurements the same way Stereophile do theirs — as in-house tests performed by an employee — I'd have no complaints.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Found this review of JBL's L100 (was considering buying it to review until I came to my senses) where Newport Labs tested it.
https://7review.com/jbl-l100-classic-review/

I was particularly interested in their methodology in showing the full band measured response:
1591118673000.png

Graph 1. Frequency response. Trace below 1.2kHz is the averaged result of nine individual frequency sweeps measured at three metres, with the central grid point on-axis with the tweeter using pink noise test stimulus with capture unsmoothed. This has been manually spliced (at1.2kHz) to the gated high-frequency response, an expanded view of which is shown in Graph 2.

I bolded the portion above which I thought was odd. I've seen reviewers provide averaged in-room response of the speaker's full-bandwidth. I've seen countless people splice nearfield with gated farfield. But this is the first time I've seen someone take the average far-field response up to a point and then splice it with a gated HF response. I assume they're taking the average for low-to-midrange because getting anechoic data down low is really, really hard; and nearfield isn't entirely accurate either. But they also still provide nearfield measurements of the woofer and port. It's just a bit odd.

al2002

Who is "Newport Test Labs"?

Newport Labs do the measurements for Australian Hi Fi magazine. It seems that the magazine outsources measurements just like High Fidelity, Audio and Stereo Review did back in the day.

interestingly, all the test reports used to be available on nextmedia.com.au, but no longer. iI’d speculate the magazine was spun off by the Nextmedia group and bought by What HiFi.

Top Bottom