• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just sold my LS50 Wireless - what next?

rcstevensonaz

I have Neumann KH 120s (with their LS65 speaker stands) on my desk. I am extremely happy with them and the size is perfect -- not too big, not too small. Note: they would be too big if my desk (31.5" / 80cm) desk was not at least 30" deep.

A few observations — for what they are worth in your situation — that guided my selection:

1) I separated my multiple video screens, moving the left & right screens away from the main video screen so that I could place the speakers in front of me and maintain a "proper listening triangle". A corollary effect is that this limits the maximum size of my main monitor based on the tweeter-to-tweeter distance I wanted to allow between the L & R speakers (I currently have a 32" diagonal, 28" side-to-side). Note: obviously, separating the video screens is not an option if you need all three butted together, e.g., flight simulators, etc.*

2) Because my speakers are very close to the wall (4.25" / 11 cm from wall to back of speaker), I opted for the front-ported KH 120s over the equivalent Genelec. This is not an issue if you keep your current configuration of speakers off to the far side or if you are able to pull your desk out a bit further into the room to meet Genelec's guidelines of 5mm or more.

3) LS 50 Wireless II are too deep to use in a standard listening triangle unless you can pull the desk away from the wall. Again, this is less of an issue when you have the speakers moved out to the far ends of your desk.

* I solved this by using Ergotron LX arms that allow me to easily swing monitors from side to side. For normal working when I care about the audio quality, I have the left & right video screens off to the sides and not blocking the speaker audio path. But when I need all three screens contiguous, I just swing the side monitors so they are each right up against the main screen. Of course, that is now blocking the speakers... so I put on headphones for the audio clarity while still leaving the main speakers (and subs) actively playing for the overall volume, deeper bass, and physical audio effects.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always wondered what some Genelcs would be like, so last week I found a local dealer and went to go listen to the 8341A and 8351B. The 8351B were definitely a step up over the 8341A - but generally, I was really impressed by them. There was a level of clarity that I had not heard before from a speaker. For critical listening, they sounded much better than my Arendal speaker's which I have for HT.
Welcome to the club. :)
My only concern is them being active. As my LS50 Wireless died, I'm wary of having active speakers which will die. At least with a passive, replacing the amp/dac is a lot more affordable.
No one can guarantee that the individual speaker you buy will last, but both Genelec and Neumann have a very good reputation for products with a long life span. They are made for long working hours in a professional surrounding.

The active speakers I own are between 18 and 20 years old and have not failed: 2 pairs of Genelec 8020a, a Genelec 7060b sub, a pair of K&H O300D (predecessor of Neunann KH310).

Well, recently the tweeter voice coils of both my small PA speakers (FBT Jolly 8b a) blew during a live concert but this can happen by accident and is not a failure of the speaker. Replacements are ordered for €45 each and I can fix them on my own.

Top Bottom