• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone gotten rAudio to work?

Barrelhouse Solly

I like to try different Raspberry Pi audio software. I'm retired and it keeps me off the street. Recently I've been playing with rAudio. I just got a Pi 4B from a local store at list price. The drought is ending. I couldn't help myself even though I have what some people would call a fleet of Pis.

The Pi is the 4 GB model. rAudio is a fork of Rune. It's an MPD front end like Volumio and Moode. Unlike Moode and Volumio I haven't been able to get rAudio to work. When the MPD database builds it fails with an "output buffer overflow." You can tweak the buffer size in the config. Default is 8K. At 64K the MPD build completes normally but after a few minutes of use MPD crashes repeatedly and eventually won't restart. Since this is strictly fooling around I won't be heart broken if there's no fix. I have stable Moode and LMS installations. Moode runs flawlessly on this Pi. I've also tried rAudio on a Pi 3A+ with similar results so I'm pretty sure it's not a defective hardware problem. My music library has about 90 K files. I've used Moode, Volumio. LMS, and vanilla MPD with my library with no problems. I'm using the current version of rAudio, 20230828 and have tried the two previous versions as well.

If anyone has had success with rAudio I'd like to hear about it. Years of IT experience has led me to believe that I'm far from infallible with hardware and software.

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

I've thought about that. Maybe a single subdirectory of the main shared directory. I know it works fine with a USB stick.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've thought about that. Maybe a single subdirectory of the main shared directory. I know it works fine with a USB stick.
If it’s working run it for a while because it’s possible the buffer overruns later.

Raitsa

Been using raudio daily for about 2 years on my 2 Raspberry 4´s.

Check

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been using raudio daily for about 2 years on my 2 Raspberry 4´s.

Check
How many files in your lib. Would be helpful to know. The subdirectory deep can bee an issue as well.

Raitsa

In the raudio github discussions, there is a lot of talk about pretty much everything about raudio usage.
Most people use raudio with their own files from USB, NAS or whatever, without probs.

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

How many files in your lib. Would be helpful to know. The subdirectory deep can bee an issue as well.
There are around 90K files. I've always stored my files in a /genre/artist/album directory configuration more or less. Directories are rarely more than 4 deep. My stuff is haphazardly tagged at best. A lot of it is from ripped vinyl and CD. I've had work experience with tags. I did business programming. A basic rule of data entry for database files is, "If you allow people to type anything they want in a field, they will." You can have composer tags that say "Bach," "J. S. Bach," "Johann Sebastian Bach," all for the same composer. Genre tags have infinite variety. They're almost useless for searching unless the files all come from the same place.

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

I dont have any files anymore. I only stream from the net.
Check https://github.com/rern/rAudio/discussions for more infos.
I have files that include records I bought 60 years ago. I finished ripping everything I wanted to keep to FLAC when we last moved. I use streaming in the car when I want something like radio. I've never signed up for a pay service. Otto's Baroque, WWOZ, a couple of jazz stations, and Document Wireless Radio pretty much satisfy my car needs.

Ears of Tin

I'm running several installations of rAudio since it launched as a stand alone from Rune about two years ago. Hardware is RPi3B with DAC hats. Source is wifi connection to a common NAS. Library is 77k tracks. I navigate to what I want by file directories rather than MPD tags. I love it.

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm running several installations of rAudio since it launched as a stand alone from Rune about two years ago. Hardware is RPi3B with DAC hats. Source is wifi connection to a common NAS. Library is 77k tracks. I navigate to what I want by file directories rather than MPD tags. I love it.
What rev are you running? I'm on 20230828

Ears of Tin

I'm up to date with 20230828. I would repeat the advice for new installs to add a small directory of music while experimenting with settings. My full library takes 3 hours to index so I test with my much smaller holiday music collection.

rAudio 20230828
5.15.78-1 aarch64
Raspberry Pi 3B+ Rev 1.3
BCM2837B0 • 951 MiB
4 x Cortex-A53 @ 1.40 GHz

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm up to date with 20230828. I would repeat the advice for new installs to add a small directory of music while experimenting with settings. My full library takes 3 hours to index so I test with my much smaller holiday music collection.

rAudio 20230828
5.15.78-1 aarch64
Raspberry Pi 3B+ Rev 1.3
BCM2837B0 • 951 MiB
4 x Cortex-A53 @ 1.40 GHz
Last night I reloaded my entire library. It took about 13 hours. With Moode and vanilla MPD it usually takes about 5 hours. Things appear to be running normally. Later this morning I'll see how long it can continue playing music.

Last edited:
OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

Once again magic prevails. I reloaded my files with a 64K output buffer and it now works. I've listened for several hours. When I worked in IT we called things like this either the result of magic or sun spots.

Raitsa

Once again magic prevails. I reloaded my files with a 64K output buffer and it now works. I've listened for several hours. When I worked in IT we called things like this either the result of magic or sun spots.
jzq8Uqj.png

Top Bottom