• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird: Can NEO PSU kill Rega PS2 adapters :)

MarkoSGD

Ok,

So I grabbed the opportunity to buy a P3 in white with Exact Cartridge and NEO PSU. It was a demo unit so I got some discount, and it looks as good as new, and I have a 6-month warranty just in case. At home, I connected everything to my Rega A2D Mini and to Adam T7V speakers. After my LP120 and Nagaoka 110 cartridges, I was really enjoying the sound...for about 20-25 minutes, and then I heard the sound slowing down turntable stopped, and NEO PSU went dark. I took the adapter out it was very hot. Tried the same model adapter from A2D mini and turned on the PSU normally.

I was like, ok it happens. The store of course, said the same and gave me a new never-used power adapter, the same model Rega PS2. I went home to listen to music again... For 20-25 minutes :) The same thing happened. The adapter is dead; tried the one from A2D Mini. It powers Neo, and the turntable spins. What in the world is happening?

The extension cord works normally, and the TV, and PS4 Pro work normally on the same power, as well as A2D Mini.

Please advise. The store is not so close so just going every day for a new adapter is not an option :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
It seems that the PS2 adapter is not suitable:

PS1.PNG

...and it makes sense as the PS1 is 350 mA and the PS2 only 100 mA.

OP
M

MarkoSGD

I think you are right. The picture you are looking is for the MK2 model, I have an MK1 but nevertheless, I think they just grabbed the PS2 that is just for turntables and it is 100mA. PS1 model is 350mA. Good catch!

Top Bottom