• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just sold my LS50 Wireless - what next?

Ricku

As of a few hours ago I sold my LS50 Wireless (1st gen). I owned them for a few years and genuinely loved them, however a few months ago they decided to die out of warranty and cost me $950 to repair. It was at that moment I decided to put them up for sale as I didn't want to deal with another costly repair down the road.

desk.jpg

This is (was) my setup. I have a large dining table for a desk and also have an SBS SB2000 tucked under the table with an antimode.

So, I've now got $1100 in my hand from the sale of my LS50 Wireless and I could potentially sell my SVS and Antimode too if required. I'm looking to move to a passive setup and I've been researching multiple options but just can't figure out the best decision to make and I'm hoping to get some opinions.

It's also worth noting that I'm happy to explore DIY options too.

If you were me - what would you do?

Thank you!

levimax

Major Contributor
As of a few hours ago I sold my LS50 Wireless (1st gen). I owned them for a few years and genuinely loved them, however a few months ago they decided to die out of warranty and cost me $950 to repair. It was at that moment I decided to put them up for sale as I didn't want to deal with another costly repair down the road.

View attachment 357875

This is (was) my setup. I have a large dining table for a desk and also have an SBS SB2000 tucked under the table with an antimode.

So, I've now got $1100 in my hand from the sale of my LS50 Wireless and I could potentially sell my SVS and Antimode too if required. I'm looking to move to a passive setup and I've been researching multiple options but just can't figure out the best decision to make and I'm hoping to get some opinions.

Thank you!
For your use case small active speakers seem like the best solution. I would look at Genelec or Neuman active speakers, they are professional monitors so are built to be reliable in a studio environment where downtime costs real money and they have a well deserved reputation for reliability.

staticV3

Master Contributor
For your use case small active speakers seem like the best solution. I would look at Genelec or Neuman active speakers, they are professional monitors so are built to be reliable in a studio environment where downtime costs real money and they have a well deserved reputation for reliability.
+1
If you're willing to take another shot at active speakers, look into the Genelec 8030C or the Neumann KH 80.

The Neumann comes in black and white while the Genelec is available in black, white, or bare Aluminium.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann KH 80 or KH 120 II if I were you.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to go passive, then maybe look at the Ascend Sierra LX if you don't want to go with the LS50 Meta, but that's where I'd be looking for passives personally.

If you want to go DIY I feel like you're going to need to spend at least $1100 to make it worthwhile, plus you have to build them yourself.

If you are willing to go active I agree the 8030c or KH120II would be my first stops after the LS50w.

And yeah I have to agree you've got a pretty pristine look on that "battlestation". :)

Arnas

Nothing beats Genelec perfect integration.
Buy cheap genelecs with a sub and then upgrade down the years into Genelec ones.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all: What an incredible setup! Nice work.

I would replace the LS50 Wireless with an LS50 Meta.
Also, I would elevate the speakers to ear level.
My suggestion exactly. Or, alternatively an Ascend Sierra LX. And if you have an OG SB 2000, you don't really need a crossover b/c the sub has a 12 db/oct 80 hz high pass built in along with its low pass. So you could use something like a WIIM or a Topping PA-5 (or 7) which should not take up too much space on the desk, will do everything, and will have that "would look at home on the deck of TNG Enterprise" appearance.

Last edited:

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It depends on who will build your cabinets and place where you live. Prices of transducers can vary considerably.

View attachment 357875

Thank you!
Not speaker related, but how do you get a screen like that ? Is it three normal screens, one landscape en two portrait ?

Waxx

Major Contributor
I would get Neumann KH120's with a sub, or if you can stretch it a bit, a pair of Neumann KH150's. Those you won't replace for a long time i think, and they don't break down that fast (hardly any returns i hear from sellers).

Genelec makes similar build quality and neutral sound, but i don't like them. If you don't mind, they are a good option also. The 8030C's are probally the best in your pricerange.

OP
R

Ricku

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I'm going to do my best to reply everyone.

First of all: What an incredible setup! Nice work.

I would replace the LS50 Wireless with an LS50 Meta.
Also, I would elevate the speakers to ear level.
Thank you fo the kind words. As I WFH and game, I spent most of my time in this space - I really enjoy it.

Thank you for the LS50 Meta recommendation - they're definitely on my shortlist. Do you think with a subwoofer I would notice any benefits of the Meta over a regular LS50? - there's quite a price difference (which I'm happy to pay if it's worth it).

I've always wondered what some Genelcs would be like, so last week I found a local dealer and went to go listen to the 8341A and 8351B. The 8351B were definitely a step up over the 8341A - but generally, I was really impressed by them. There was a level of clarity that I had not heard before from a speaker. For critical listening, they sounded much better than my Arendal speaker's which I have for HT. My only concern is them being active. As my LS50 Wireless died, I'm wary of having active speakers which will die. At least with a passive, replacing the amp/dac is a lot more affordable.

+1
If you're willing to take another shot at active speakers, look into the Genelec 8030C or the Neumann KH 80.

The Neumann comes in black and white while the Genelec is available in black, white, or bare Aluminium.
I found a local dealer that has some Neumann for demo. I went to listen to the KH120 and was impressed, but honestly I was drawn a bit more to the Genelecs. They also stock the KH150 but didn't have them available to demo.

Unfortunately I don't have the space for a tower! But thanks for the reccomendation.

LS50Meta and a Wiim amp.
I have heard nothing but great things about that Wiim amp - do you think it could get the most of the the LS50 Meta?
If you want to go passive, then maybe look at the Ascend Sierra LX if you don't want to go with the LS50 Meta, but that's where I'd be looking for passives personally.

If you want to go DIY I feel like you're going to need to spend at least $1100 to make it worthwhile, plus you have to build them yourself.

If you are willing to go active I agree the 8030c or KH120II would be my first stops after the LS50w.

And yeah I have to agree you've got a pretty pristine look on that "battlestation". :)
Thanks for comments about my battlestation! I love it - bring a smile to my face every day. I'm torn between doing an active from a brand that's trusted to last many years like Genelc, or whether to go passive. I'm happy to drop some money on the speakers, that's not an issue. Realistically speaking, my absolute max budget is about $6000 USD, but that would need to be for out of this world performance and reliability.

I looked up the Ascend Sierra LX and they seem really well regarded - I hadn't atually heard of them before. I did look at the CSS Criton 1TD-X as a potential option as they get good reviews. Then also I have been reading amazing things about the March Audio Sointuva AWG (bookshelf variant). I contacted Alan March about using them nearfield and this was his response:

"The thing you have to remember, and this applies to *all* speakers is that near field monitoring is a sub optimal situation. You need to be a certain distance away from the speaker before the response is considered "far field".
Please see below for more information:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/far-field-criteria-for.../
A good rule of thumb is that you will get a consistent frequency response at about 3x the longest speaker baffle dimension, which is about 1.5m in this case.
This doesn't mean you can't listen closer, or that it will sound bad, just that the frequency response may not be absolutely 0.1 ideal. A bit of EQ may be required. But as I said. This applies to any speaker unless they have been explicitly designed optimised for very close listening.

So in answer to your question, it's a qualified yes"

@Ricku If you will look at diy, i'd recommend this monitor from Heissmann

Thank you. I've never heard of Heissmann before - I will check it out.

Not speaker related, but how do you get a screen like that ? Is it three normal screens, one landscape en two portrait ?
Middle screen is an LG 48" CX OLED, the side monitors are Lenovo ThinkVision P27h-20 - purely bought for the aesthetic, not the specs. All are mounted on arms which is how I got it all to line up so perfectly.

I would get Neumann KH120's with a sub, or if you can stretch it a bit, a pair of Neumann KH150's. Those you won't replace for a long time i think, and they don't break down that fast (hardly any returns i hear from sellers).

Genelec makes similar build quality and neutral sound, but i don't like them. If you don't mind, they are a good option also. The 8030C's are probally the best in your pricerange.
Thank you for the recommendation. What about Genelecs don't you like? As for my budget I can stretch up to $6000 USD if it's really worth it. My only concern with doing something like a Genelec SAM and using GLM is that I can't integrate my current SVS subwoofer. I've been half tempted to get a pair of Genelec 8351B.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions - it is very much appreciated!

But, my current biggest question at the moment is, do you think there would be much difference at my listening distance (which is about 1m from each speaker, not equalateral triangle.. wider than deeper) between a traditional speaker (tweeter, driver) vs a coaxial design?

How do you think the March Audio Sointuva AWG (bookshelf) would fare? It's quite pricy, but I've read some extremely positive review (and a negative review, but seems to have been solved - definitely not digging this up as a topic of conversation btw!).

Finally, if going for a new setup that doesn't have room correction, what system would you recommend? I know the Genelec SAM models have GLM, but if I went with the Neumann or any passive speakers - what would you opt for?

Thank you!

Penelinfi

It probably won't be available in time, but I believe March Audio will have a smaller speaker in the future.

There is also potentially the ATC scm7 V3. More of a traditional two way. Not sure if it's up to the same level as some at the similar price range, but may not be too bad either seeing as most desk speakers could do with EQ and the stereophile measurements aren't terrible.

Zaph Audio zd5 is an older DIY kit that seems well designed and those scanspeak woofers can move some air for their size

Active monitors have the advantage of already having their bass extended so you only need to correct for room and placement.
With passive at desk top I add more deep bass as I don't listen too loud and being so close, the speakers can handle it.

napfkuchen

Thank you for the recommendation. What about Genelecs don't you like? As for my budget I can stretch up to $6000 USD if it's really worth it. My only concern with doing something like a Genelec SAM and using GLM is that I can't integrate my current SVS subwoofer. I've been half tempted to get a pair of Genelec 8351B.
The price increase in the 83X1 range is very steep from each model. A pair of 8351s is about $8000 USD. Pairing a smaller model (8331 or 8341) with one or two subwoofers (7350 oder 7360) depending on your final budget would be my choice.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But, my current biggest question at the moment is, do you think there would be much difference at my listening distance (which is about 1m from each speaker, not equalateral triangle.. wider than deeper) between a traditional speaker (tweeter, driver) vs a coaxial design?

How do you think the March Audio Sointuva AWG (bookshelf) would fare? It's quite pricy, but I've read some extremely positive review (and a negative review, but seems to have been solved - definitely not digging this up as a topic of conversation btw!).

Finally, if going for a new setup that doesn't have room correction, what system would you recommend? I know the Genelec SAM models have GLM, but if I went with the Neumann or any passive speakers - what would you opt for?

Thank you!

Coaxial design will be less sensitive to ear position in the vertical plane. If your chair height isn't something you change too often, the difference will be negligible.

March Audio Sointuva is too large for listening distance of 1m.

You needn't go for a setup without dirac. You can opt for this...

Heissman dxt-mon-rnx is as flat measuring as a two way can be (active or passive) so will respond well to any type of room correction software or eq.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you really want to go pasive for original budget then Elac DBR62's with Yamaha A-S 70x amplifier on the long run and regarding durability but those amps are big tho you could put it somewhere behind if you have space for it.
On the active side as no one mentioned old JBL's like LSR2328P or smaller one's from a same series if you can find them as new and for a good price. I doubt you will be able to find LSR-4328P (DSP with room correction) but it's possible (in UK and US at least). They are all discontinued and quality products and JBL gave 5 years warranty with those. Amp's are very self noise quite one's (in line with Neumann and better than Genelac's) and A-B class. They are also designed very good (wave guide 30° horizontal coverage and about 15° vertically for tweater and Buterrwor 4th order crossover). LSR-4328P actually makes me wonder what a heck are we doing here all this time.
I think you can probably pass with good and a bit stronger 8" active one's and without subwoofer, especially in near field hopefully room is long 5 m or more (they give as much output Hz & SPL as solid 10" sub) but that's on you to decide.

Top Bottom