• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

gsp

About RCA XLR audio output of DAC, which is often misunderstood

The RCA and XLR outputs are basically voltage outputs and are not capable of powering headphones or the like. The power W is the output voltage V multiplied by the output current I, and is calculated by W = V x I.
The RCA or XLR audio output can output a sufficient voltage V, but has almost no ability to flow a current I. So it doesn't have the power to drive headphones. Forcibly connecting the headphones may damage the audio output circuit. The output impedance is quite high, but in rare cases it can work well with high impedance headphones or low volume.
Even with the same audio output, the headphone output constitutes a small power amplifier that has significantly increased the current I capacity.

In other words, you are saying that since V = I x R, and voltage is fixed to 2-4V, the output current I of DAC is typically too low due to high impedance (resistance)? I believe this is generally the case, despite no info about M300. My experience seems positive with my headphones, but I do not want to risk them any further. The reason I tried M300 with headphones is that apparently the headphone line out of my (vintage) Denon 720PMA amplifier is not on par with the speaker output. The sound from the headphones became very altered in the tonality with boomy bass. This is not the case at all with the speakers (wharfedale diamond 200).

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think RCA is a pretty crap standard so I do like to use quality ones. I like both Ghent Audio and "World's Best Cables" on amazon. however it's a little more difficult to order electronics/tech stuff on amazon right now, because essential items are prioritised due to COVID..
Should i look for RCA cables or Coaxial RCA ? Coaxial ones seems better with exact same plug. I don't understand this stuff though.
http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a01.html
http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e08.html it says true 75 ohm. Canare LV-61S 75ohm cable, RCAP-C4A 75ohm RCA plug, True 75 Ohm RCA (Male to Male) Cable, 1pc

There is also this one: https://www.audiocables.eu/products...phenol-gold-connectors?variant=12592593895504

Toku

Major Contributor
Just go for a pair like this https://www.audiocables.eu/products/rca-to-rca-cable-made-with-mogami-2965-gold-amphenol-connectors
the ghent audio Canare L-4E6S cables are also perfectly suitable though, but China shipping is really slow right now!
There are many problems with the current shipping in China.
I ordered an SMSL amplifier from Shenzhen Audio but it didn't arrive after 2 months. Tracking is no longer possible in China. I have negotiated with Shenzhen Audio several times, but they are totally irresponsible and will not take any responsibility for refund or reshipment of the goods. Please be aware that there is no guarantee in case of an accident.
It cost me $ 180.

Veri

Master Contributor
There are many problems with the current shipping in China.
I ordered an SMSL amplifier from Shenzhen Audio but it didn't arrive after 2 months. Tracking is no longer possible in China. I have negotiated with Shenzhen Audio several times, but they are totally irresponsible and will not take any responsibility for refund or reshipment of the goods. Please be aware that there is no guarantee in case of an accident.
It cost me $ 180.
That is insane. Can't you do chargeback at VISA or PayPal? ...

Toku

Major Contributor
That is insane. Can't you do chargeback at VISA or PayPal? ...
I ordered from AliExpress to Shenzhen Audio. So if you don't receive the item in time, you can apply for a refund. However, the shop will unilaterally extend the deadline as the delivery deadline approaches. It was April at first, but it was extended to May and June, and I cannot apply for a refund forever. Negotiations are ongoing, but it's a terrible story.
HiFi-express stated that no compensation will be provided for accidents during transportation. It will be shipped without insurance and compensation. However, you can take out insurance if you pay an additional fee. It is unthinkable from our common sense. Be careful of shipping accidents when ordering expensive items.

Last edited:

olinko

Can anyone tell me is it a good idea to completely disable my on-board soundcard before plugging in the M300?
I kinda wanna try the whole maxed-out volume on the amp thing and controlling the signal on the DAC alone, but I'm scared of my soundcard taking over and just randomly blasting windows notifications at full high gain volume

olinko

Also, the remote isn't responding no matter how many batteries I swap?? :(

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone tell me is it a good idea to completely disable my on-board soundcard before plugging in the M300?
I kinda wanna try the whole maxed-out volume on the amp thing and controlling the signal on the DAC alone, but I'm scared of my soundcard taking over and just randomly blasting windows notifications at full high gain volume

You'll only have one DAC (USB outboard or soudcard) hooked up to the amplifier, right?

Controlling the volume on the DAC itself should be fine. Even when Windows blasts notifications at full volume or some half-crashed program puts out noise at 0dBFS the outboard DAC will lower the volume down to whatever you have set.

What's dangerous is leaving the amp and DAC at full volume and controlling the volume through the player software or Windows directly.

olinko

To use the remote control for DAC, first press C button and then use.
I feel like an idiot hahaha

This is one amazing DAC. But probably it's the SP200 that's blowing my mind. Simply wow

Toku

Major Contributor
I feel like an idiot hahaha

This is one amazing DAC. But probably it's the SP200 that's blowing my mind. Simply wow
It was good that the problem was resolved.
SMSL divides products into three groups: A, B and C.
The A button is for the amplifier and the C button is for the DAC. B has never experienced it. If you press any other button during use, you will not be able to operate it. In that case, press C button again to operate again.

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the "HIGH SOUND" setting is in the M300 MKII manual?

olinko

Does anyone know what the "HIGH SOUND" setting is in the M300 MKII manual?
No idea, it can only be enabled or disabled and I can't hear a difference to be honest
In fact, the only filter I could make out is the DSD narrow vs wide filter, the rest is just too subtle for my ears

Veri

Master Contributor
No idea, it can only be enabled or disabled and I can't hear a difference to be honest
In fact, the only filter I could make out is the DSD narrow vs wide filter, the rest is just too subtle for my ears
How does the DSD filter manifest itself then :) just curious

olinko

How does the DSD filter manifest itself then :) just curious
I could be wrong, of course, but on certain releases the wide filter sounds like the instruments get separated much more than what's in the mastering, and the left and right channel sound completely disconnected because of it (it was most evident to me on the Audio Fidelity SACD of Nina Simone's Little Girl Blue)
So probably don't use the filter on stereo releases of what were originally mono recordings.

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
So it seems like the M300 MKII is mostly free of any major glitches or defects, yeah? (popping/clicking, firmware updating issues, general failures, etc..)

I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the M500 or SU-8 for these reasons (and M200 is still too new with a reportedly cheap/wobbly feeling knob)

wassim01

So it seems like the M300 MKII is mostly free of any major glitches or defects, yeah? (popping/clicking, firmware updating issues, general failures, etc..)

I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the M500 or SU-8 for these reasons (and M200 is still too new with a reportedly cheap/wobbly feeling knob)
I have the m300 mk2 for 3 months and it works very well without any problem

olinko

I have the m300 mk2 for 3 months and it works very well without any problem
I've only had it -- in active use -- for a couple weeks coupled with the SP200 and I absolutely love it. The only popping that occurs is whenever I change songs when listen to DSD using WASAPI settings in foobar, but I'd bet it doesn't have anything to do with the DAC itself

Static Albatross

Forum Donor
I just received my M300 mk2 this yesterday and wanted to share my first impressions. Overall I am very happy with the unit but I do have a critique.
First the positives:

1. No notable performance problems at all, no pops, no hissing.
2. The blue color and the glass look very nice in person, SMSL’s amazon photos do not do it justice.
3. The unit is fast to turn on, fast to switch inputs, and remembers volume (but only one).

My only criticism, nitpicky as it is, is that majority of the system functions require a remote to access. I figured because the mk1 could perform all functions without a remote the mk2 would be the same. This was not a safe assumption.

This makes the dac somewhat awkward to use. I use it at my desk, no more than 6 inches from my hand at any time. Using a remote at this range offers no benefits at all. However if the remote is broken, or lost, or I run out of AAA batteries I will lose control over the more advanced functionality. I think the ability to enter menus could be done with just the two buttons if pressing both buttons acted as a third button. Maybe in a firmware update if I am lucky. I don't think this unit is suited for room scale use though. The display is small, the fonts are tiny, and the glass causes glare. I think a person would need truly exceptional vision to navigate the menus at couch distance. I am not sure why they bothered with a remote in the first place.

Really the only improvement I would want for a MK3 is a couple more buttons or a knob. Also perhaps remembering different volumes between inputs and outputs. Overall I like it a lot.

Top Bottom